Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Thor Axis 24.1
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis 24.1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn't sure if this belongs here or in the Class C section. But while looking for short Class C's (24 ft) I noticed a new Axis 24.1 which is only 7 ins longer than the C's I was looking at. It also was a few ins less in height, a longer WB, 188 ins vs 159 ins for the C's, more storage, more water and more CCC. The drivers area had better room than the Ford 350 or 450 chassis and about the same as the sprinter chassis. I was also $10k cheaper than the Sprinter class C's with much more HP(350 vs 190).The only difficulty looked to be getting to the engine to change plugs, filter etc. Has anyone purchased this model? Are there any regrets or downsides I am not seeing.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than the fact that it's a Thor product, it's a great package.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 thor doesn,t have a good rep.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a bunch of counter space for meal preparation but it otherwise looks ok IMO. Did you step into the shower? 27x27.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Note that the axis is built on the E450 chassis (albeit the bare chassis rather than the cutaway version), so doesn't have as much of a difference there as you might at first expect. That's not to say your observations of foot room, space, etc. are incorrect; however, it's also quite possible that there are some class C motorhomes with mostly similar features in those areas.

All, or practically all, other gas class A's are built on the F53 motorhome chassis, which has a few more differences. I think even with the new engine the F53 gets a higher power tune/setup; I know for sure it was a more powerful version with the V10. There are other chassis differences as well.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Axis/Vegas is an RUV - which is a fancy way to market a C and A hybrid. They are built on the e350 or E450 Chassis - depending on which year it was manufactured. So they aren't a true Class A. They were marketed as a way to take kids to soccer games, travelling sports families, tailgating that sort of thing. I've owned a Thor Class A (an ACE) and while we knew what we were buying, I must admit that quality is about the lowest in the industry. But so are their prices. If you have realistic expectations then you might be OK, but buyer beware. The sprinters you are looking at are Mercedes chassis so there is a reason they cost more and you are comparing oranges to basketballs comparing it to a Vegas. A Class B Plus or small C on a Mercedes chassis is going to be so much easier and quieter to drive and your mileage will be much better as well. Nothing wrong with the Vegas/Axis if that's what you want and have realistic expectations but there isn't much comparison to that and something on a Sprinter chassis with a diesel engine.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

x2 thor doesn,t have a good rep.
Does Forest River have a better rep?

* This post was edited 10/12/20 07:59pm by Gjac *

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Note that the axis is built on the E450 chassis (albeit the bare chassis rather than the cutaway version), so doesn't have as much of a difference there as you might at first expect. That's not to say your observations of foot room, space, etc. are incorrect; however, it's also quite possible that there are some class C motorhomes with mostly similar features in those areas.

All, or practically all, other gas class A's are built on the F53 motorhome chassis, which has a few more differences. I think even with the new engine the F53 gets a higher power tune/setup; I know for sure it was a more powerful version with the V10. There are other chassis differences as well.
The 2021 Axis I looked at was on a E350 chassis with the new 7.3 V8 eng. Defiantly much more room for your feet in the drivers area compared to the E350 Class C's with the V-10. A very small dog house which looks to me very difficult to work on the eng or get to the chassis battery. From what I see most of these smaller C's get about 10 mpgs with the V-10's don't know if 45 more HP in the newer eng will do better but should be much better performance on hills.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Not a bunch of counter space for meal preparation but it otherwise looks ok IMO. Did you step into the shower? 27x27.
Yes bathroom is very small compared to my A, but again I am comparing it to 24 ft Class C's that I thought I wanted to down size to which seem comparable.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

From what I see most of these smaller C's get about 10 mpgs with the V-10's don't know if 45 more HP in the newer eng will do better but should be much better performance on hills.

The Thor/Axis have the lowest coeffecient of drag of any motorhome. That's what allows them to use a Class 3 (E350) chassis, which has a stricter carbon-emissions limit than the Class 4 chassis. Ford and Thor went through a lot to optimize that sloped front windshield.

Also, the extra power of the new 7.3L is more than the 45 hp on paper might suggest, because the V10 was only chassis certified, and the new engine is dyo certified. For claims both methods are tuned the same, and only the test method differs. The same motor in the F-series is rated at 430 hp using the chassis method. The simplest way to describe the test methods is chassis dyno certified = best load case (no EGR, fan off, A/C off, minimal alternator load etc) and the dyno certified is worst case (will EGR, engine fan maximum engagements, max load of all front-end accessories).

But.... as others have mentioned... Thor's QA program leaves a lot to be desired. Do a very thorough inspection before you buy. You might find some build-quality differences between the same units on the same lot.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis 24.1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.