Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Thor Axis 24.1
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis 24.1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

"......but also have a lower tow rating (18,500 combined vs 22,000 combined)"

But unless you have a Sherman tank as a toad, for most the difference in tow rating is probably a non-issue [emoticon]

I was surprised at the 2020 specs for capacity on such a small coach. Depending on the model there is between 6-7.5k lbs of actual towing capacity. Impressive for such a small coach - or maybe it's because it's a small coach. There are a LOT of larger gassers with almost no capacity left.
You are right my current 33 ft Class A can't tow that much. When I compare specs against other Class A's or space against small Class C's. HP/wt ratio, WB/L ratio all look impressive. The only concern is the quality of Thor products. That is why I asked if any on here actually own one, but not one owner has responded yet.

That's because they're outside fixing their RV [emoticon]

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

But unless you have a Sherman tank as a toad, for most the difference in tow rating is probably a non-issue [emoticon]

I was surprised at the 2020 specs for capacity on such a small coach. Depending on the model there is between 6-7.5k lbs of actual towing capacity. Impressive for such a small coach - or maybe it's because it's a small coach. There are a LOT of larger gassers with almost no capacity left.
You are right my current 33 ft Class A can't tow that much. When I compare specs against other Class A's or space against small Class C's. HP/wt ratio, WB/L ratio all look impressive. The only concern is the quality of Thor products. That is why I asked if any on here actually own one, but not one owner has responded yet.

I've seen Axis/Vegas owners respond here and most were very positive. Some complaints about the location of the chassis batteries but don't remember anyone saying anything major. You may want to check the Thor forums. We had an ACE before our current FW and it was trouble free for the 5 years we owned it. Fit and finish was low end but that was to be expected for what we paid. We loved it, but we are going to be travelling more extensively and wanted something that was better to part time in.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

I've seen Axis/Vegas owners respond here and most were very positive. Some complaints about the location of the chassis batteries but don't remember anyone saying anything major. You may want to check the Thor forums. We had an ACE before our current FW and it was trouble free for the 5 years we owned it. Fit and finish was low end but that was to be expected for what we paid. We loved it, but we are going to be travelling more extensively and wanted something that was better to part time in.
Thanks for the feed back. It is hard to tell how bad a product is based on the number off complaints. I think by far Thor produces more RV's than Winnebago, Tiffin etc. So based on shear number of units produced I would expect more complaints from a company that produces more units over a company that produces lesser units. What would be a better metric is issues/ x number of units produced.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

The Axis/Vegas is an RUV - which is a fancy way to market a C and A hybrid. They are built on the e350 or E450 Chassis - depending on which year it was manufactured. So they aren't a true Class A. They were marketed as a way to take kids to soccer games, travelling sports families, tailgating that sort of thing. I've owned a Thor Class A (an ACE) and while we knew what we were buying, I must admit that quality is about the lowest in the industry. But so are their prices. If you have realistic expectations then you might be OK, but buyer beware. The sprinters you are looking at are Mercedes chassis so there is a reason they cost more and you are comparing oranges to basketballs comparing it to a Vegas. A Class B Plus or small C on a Mercedes chassis is going to be so much easier and quieter to drive and your mileage will be much better as well. Nothing wrong with the Vegas/Axis if that's what you want and have realistic expectations but there isn't much comparison to that and something on a Sprinter chassis with a diesel engine.

How does that make it not a Class A? It's built on a bare chassis with no factory cab or body. I understand the chassis is the same as that of an E350 or 450, but without the factory cab by definition it's a Class A.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

way2roll wrote:

The Axis/Vegas is an RUV - which is a fancy way to market a C and A hybrid. They are built on the e350 or E450 Chassis - depending on which year it was manufactured. So they aren't a true Class A. They were marketed as a way to take kids to soccer games, travelling sports families, tailgating that sort of thing. I've owned a Thor Class A (an ACE) and while we knew what we were buying, I must admit that quality is about the lowest in the industry. But so are their prices. If you have realistic expectations then you might be OK, but buyer beware. The sprinters you are looking at are Mercedes chassis so there is a reason they cost more and you are comparing oranges to basketballs comparing it to a Vegas. A Class B Plus or small C on a Mercedes chassis is going to be so much easier and quieter to drive and your mileage will be much better as well. Nothing wrong with the Vegas/Axis if that's what you want and have realistic expectations but there isn't much comparison to that and something on a Sprinter chassis with a diesel engine.

How does that make it not a Class A? It's built on a bare chassis with no factory cab or body. I understand the chassis is the same as that of an E350 or 450, but without the factory cab by definition it's a Class A.

You are correct -- they are Class A's. Class C's are built on cutaway chassis' and CLass B's are van cutaway's or solid boxes. Thor can call it an RUV if they want to, trying to create a new class and broaden the appeal, but it is a true Class A.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I noted in my OP it looked difficult to access the engine because the dog house was so small. I wanted to go back and see what the access was like with the dog house removed. It only had about 4 screws to remove cover. The salesmen called me back and said the techs at the dealership would not allow the cover to come off. I thought that strange and of course only reinforced my belief of the difficulty of changing spark plugs or adding water to the battery. Was my request unreasonable?

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

As I noted in my OP it looked difficult to access the engine because the dog house was so small. I wanted to go back and see what the access was like with the dog house removed. It only had about 4 screws to remove cover. The salesmen called me back and said the techs at the dealership would not allow the cover to come off. I thought that strange and of course only reinforced my belief of the difficulty of changing spark plugs or adding water to the battery. Was my request unreasonable?

Nope, not unreasonable and good for you. That is one of the issues I saw noted in some reviews, the inability to access the batteries etc. It was one of the few complaints I remember seeing, but a consistent one.

On edit - that's also a dealership I would avoid. Not allowing you to look under the hood/doghouse of an RV you are considering buying is ridiculous. Did they say why?

* This post was edited 10/20/20 09:52am by way2roll *

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Well, if you decide to proceed, maybe make your offer contingent on a maintenance contract that includes spark plugs, spark plug wires, and batteries for the first 5 years?

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Well, if you decide to proceed, maybe make your offer contingent on a maintenance contract that includes spark plugs, spark plug wires, and batteries for the first 5 years?

Doubt the RV would run enough in 5 years to need plugs. OEM battery is good for 6

warrenjo46

Matthews, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

OK, now you did it. I owned a 2015 Vegas 24.1 for two years and really liked it. I don't understand the comments about Thor quality unless I was just lucky. I can not complain about the quality a bit.
the OP is correct about working on the engine. I had to replace the battery and it took me half a day to get it done. However, I think that motor homes are generally compact and that makes repair and replace more difficult.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis 24.1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.