Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Thor Axis 24.1
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis 24.1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Gjac wrote:

As I noted in my OP it looked difficult to access the engine because the dog house was so small. I wanted to go back and see what the access was like with the dog house removed. It only had about 4 screws to remove cover. The salesmen called me back and said the techs at the dealership would not allow the cover to come off. I thought that strange and of course only reinforced my belief of the difficulty of changing spark plugs or adding water to the battery. Was my request unreasonable?

Nope, not unreasonable and good for you. That is one of the issues I saw noted in some reviews, the inability to access the batteries etc. It was one of the few complaints I remember seeing, but a consistent one.

On edit - that's also a dealership I would avoid. Not allowing you to look under the hood/doghouse of an RV you are considering buying is ridiculous. Did they say why?
No the salesman would not give me a valid reason even when I pressed him on the issue only to say the technicians would not allow the dog house to be removed. My thinking is MH's are really selling now and someone will buy it without scrutiny. I stopped at a Camping world in St Augustine Fl. and looked at several 24 ft Class C's and wanted to take one for a test drive. The Mgr would not allow a test drive until an offer was made. I said to the sales men why would I make an offer unless I liked the way the MH handled. His answer was the are selling like hotcakes this year by first time buyers because of the corona virus. So next year when the fear of the virus ceases it may be a buyers market again.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Gjac wrote:

As I noted in my OP it looked difficult to access the engine because the dog house was so small. I wanted to go back and see what the access was like with the dog house removed. It only had about 4 screws to remove cover. The salesmen called me back and said the techs at the dealership would not allow the cover to come off. I thought that strange and of course only reinforced my belief of the difficulty of changing spark plugs or adding water to the battery. Was my request unreasonable?

Nope, not unreasonable and good for you. That is one of the issues I saw noted in some reviews, the inability to access the batteries etc. It was one of the few complaints I remember seeing, but a consistent one.

On edit - that's also a dealership I would avoid. Not allowing you to look under the hood/doghouse of an RV you are considering buying is ridiculous. Did they say why?
No the salesman would not give me a valid reason even when I pressed him on the issue only to say the technicians would not allow the dog house to be removed. My thinking is MH's are really selling now and someone will buy it without scrutiny. I stopped at a Camping world in St Augustine Fl. and looked at several 24 ft Class C's and wanted to take one for a test drive. The Mgr would not allow a test drive until an offer was made. I said to the sales men why would I make an offer unless I liked the way the MH handled. His answer was the are selling like hotcakes this year by first time buyers because of the corona virus. So next year when the fear of the virus ceases it may be a buyers market again.

Ah, Camping world. The Wal mart of the RV industry.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Not exactly. Walmart has a pretty generous return policy

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Not exactly. Walmart has a pretty generous return policy

LOL! You got me there!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Shenanigans of this sort would make me walk away from the dealership more or less immediately. There's a reasonably good chance they might change their tune when they see you aren't willing to put up with the silliness. Even if they don't relent immediately, I might wander back in a couple days if I was particularly interested in a particular RV; maybe they'd be more reasonable, maybe not.

Asking to look under the hood of a vehicle you're considering (which is basically what the doghouse is), or take a test drive before making an offer, are both perfectly reasonable and ordinary requests. If the reason for refusing a test drive was something appropriate, such as "you don't have the appropriate driver's license for this vehicle," that would be a different story; but not letting you test drive until you've made a commitment (even if somewhat tentative) to purchase is not reasonable.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Shenanigans of this sort would make me walk away from the dealership more or less immediately. There's a reasonably good chance they might change their tune when they see you aren't willing to put up with the silliness. Even if they don't relent immediately, I might wander back in a couple days if I was particularly interested in a particular RV; maybe they'd be more reasonable, maybe not.

Asking to look under the hood of a vehicle you're considering (which is basically what the doghouse is), or take a test drive before making an offer, are both perfectly reasonable and ordinary requests. If the reason for refusing a test drive was something appropriate, such as "you don't have the appropriate driver's license for this vehicle," that would be a different story; but not letting you test drive until you've made a commitment (even if somewhat tentative) to purchase is not reasonable.

Downright dumb if you ask me. Who buys a MH that doesn't test drive it?

Op, you may want to talk the the sales manager. Maybe the salesperson was being lazy.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd make a full price offer contingent on liking the way it drives, then tell them you don't like it just to make them mad.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

DrewE wrote:

Gjac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Downright dumb if you ask me. Who buys a MH that doesn't test drive it?

Op, you may want to talk the the sales manager. Maybe the salesperson was being lazy.
. It was the sales mgr of CW that would not allow a test drive the salesmen himself would have allowed it. I would not do business with either of these dealerships.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis 24.1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.