Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Sidewall of truck height
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Sidewall of truck height

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Bradymydog

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 2018 GMC, where the bed meets the sides at the tailgate there is a radius molded in. I raised my bigfoot 1" by using a full 1X8" pine board. The board is notched and tapered on the bottom to conform to the contour of the bed. I then put a full sheet of 1" foil face poly iso for the remainder of the bed and placed my bed mat on top of that. No problems in over 10K miles.

woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks BradyMyDog

Bill
WØWJU
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
2015 Thor Motorcoach Chateau 31W
Toad: 2008 Chevy HHR

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged111 wrote:

My 1131 sits ass down in the bed of my 97, I'd like to hear more about this crown. Is there a bulge in the middle or something?

There is a crown that runs widthwise across the bed around mid bed. I grabbed a 4' level and started at the rear of the box and slid it forward towards the cab, there is a definitely a noticeable crown that appears as the level rises off the box at the crown. I'm pretty sure it's purpose is for water drainage towards the tailgate and front drainage holes, but it can cause a porpoise effect with a truck camper. You can also see it in GM truck camper pics from the side, campers appear nose high due to compressing the rear of the rubber mat with the front of the camper not sitting flat on the bottom of the box.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

Supercharged111 wrote:

My 1131 sits ass down in the bed of my 97, I'd like to hear more about this crown. Is there a bulge in the middle or something?

There is a crown that runs widthwise across the bed around mid bed. I grabbed a 4' level and started at the rear of the box and slid it forward towards the cab, there is a definitely a noticeable crown that appears as the level rises off the box at the crown. I'm pretty sure it's purpose is for water drainage towards the tailgate and front drainage holes, but it can cause a porpoise effect with a truck camper. You can also see it in GM truck camper pics from the side, campers appear nose high due to compressing the rear of the rubber mat with the front of the camper not sitting flat on the bottom of the box.

Might be for drainage, but not sure they expect the truck to be parked level enough to matter.
I'm more inclined to think it is a fold line to absorb energy and keep the floor out of cab on impact.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Sidewall of truck height
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.