Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Pigtail not fitting....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Pigtail not fitting....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I've never seen an outlet where the door swings down. Are you sure it's not upside down on the bumper?

All 2014 and up Chevy Silverado trucks with factory wiring have a door that swings down. The trailer receptacle is a combination 7-pin and 4-pin unit, with a hinged door in the middle. The 7-pin door swings down, and the 4-pin door swings up.

[image]

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TheBeans wrote:

Lots of great advice here---thank you, everyone! We really didn't like the whole bungie-and-a-prayer idea so we're glad to see there are other things we can do first! I'll keep you posted if we run into other problems as we try to get this resolved.

Test fit the new plug first before you cut the old one off the trailer.

TheBeans

Orting, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our truck is a 2020 Ford F150 and has this same plug (see photo above posted by mkirsch). While looking thru the owner's manual last night I found the plug's part number so now we're going to check it against the pigtail itself. They look identical to the naked eye but maybe they are just a smidge different that we don't easily see. I'm thinking we'll probably need a new pigtail, but at least that's an easy fix.

Wendy & Darrell (aka: The Beans)
Buddy & Charlie (our camping dogs)
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE Travel Trailer

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've run into this with a couple trailers. Looking into my socket, I could see where the blades were contacting the edges of the blade-receptacles in the pigtail. Just a very slight nudge to the blades using a screwdriver was all it took to line things up. Note: One time I really tried smashing it in there, and it bent over one of the blades. That one took a bent pick to straighten it.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

I've run into this with a couple trailers. Looking into my socket, I could see where the blades were contacting the edges of the blade-receptacles in the pigtail. Just a very slight nudge to the blades using a screwdriver was all it took to line things up. Note: One time I really tried smashing it in there, and it bent over one of the blades. That one took a bent pick to straighten it.

That's true. I've even found that the right amount of strategic wiggling will let the plug fit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Pigtail not fitting....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.