Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Front hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Front hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slownsy wrote:

Looks like I may have to have something made op. As the of the rack only allows 9000lb pull and I intend to use a 17000lb winch. Thinking side brackets 1/4” thick, 3x3” 1/4” wall tube across, With a 2-3” receiver . And make the mound for hitch out of a short section u channel 8”x3” 1/2” thick.
What do you think.
Frank.

With a 17000lb pull winch you will have to maybe re-enforce the frame rails. The hitch it's self may not be your biggest issue. Now are not planning some way to anchor the rear of the vehicle, other wise the amount of pull will just drag a 8K truck rather than rather than move something on the other end of the wench cable. Or is that the plan, to drag the truck with all four brakes locked up? Confused!

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front hitch/grille guard I built for my truck. It goes into the frame and uses the mounting holes for the OE tow hooks. It's been tested with a dead load big enough to almost stall my 12K winch that I also built a carrier for.

[image]

[image]

Slownsy

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again the idea is to move the truck and not what I hook op to when getting bogged in sand or mud, or lack of traction. Truck 9k FW 9K. Hear in Australia we go camping not RV resorting and the terrain and weather don’t always cooperate, as we travel by our self one also has to help oneself as others are not always around. We have had 4 deaths in the last month from peaple braking down getting bogged and lost when trying to walk out.
Hornet28 nice setup.
Frank.

Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slownsy wrote:

Looks like I may have to have something made op. As the of the rack only allows 9000lb pull and I intend to use a 17000lb winch. Thinking side brackets 1/4” thick, 3x3” 1/4” wall tube across, With a 2-3” receiver . And make the mound for hitch out of a short section u channel 8”x3” 1/2” thick.
What do you think.
Frank.

At that point it may not be the hitch itself, it's the hardware bolting it in and also what it's bolted to on the truck. Before you get ahead of yourself you may want to call Curt or DrawTite and ask them where their rating comes from...is it a limitation of the receiver itself or what it's bolted to?

Having a front hitch custom fabbed is great but if it's too stout it won't fit into place as a bolt-up. I'm not sure even replacing the bumper gets you to 17K lbs....

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess, “gauge” no pun intended, how beefy the off the shelf front hitches appear to be.
There’s plenty of winch bumpers that are supposedly rated for hogging out a big truck out of a mud hole and they’re presumably limited by the truck frame and mounting hardware.

Keeping it in perspective, one would assume that you’re not trying to drag your truck and 5ver through clay mud up to the doors, front to back. There’s also a limit to where you’re going to take a 1ton with a big trailer.
And if you’re in that proverbial worst case scenario, are you building a setup for zombie apocalypse type stuff or for help to get through some sand or mud?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW....I've had front hitches on 2 pickups in the past. Mostly used for spotting trailers and the like. Very infrequently (in the past) used to slide in a "hitch mount" winch for getting un-stuck.

If the pull on a front-hitch-mounted winch is not fairly close to straight ahead, remember that there's a couple feet of moment arm between the attachment points and the force of the pull: sideways pull puts a pretty significant strain on the cradle and attach points.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

FWIW....I've had front hitches on 2 pickups in the past. Mostly used for spotting trailers and the like. Very infrequently (in the past) used to slide in a "hitch mount" winch for getting un-stuck.

If the pull on a front-hitch-mounted winch is not fairly close to straight ahead, remember that there's a couple feet of moment arm between the attachment points and the force of the pull: sideways pull puts a pretty significant strain on the cradle and attach points.

For self recovery I would for sure want a place to mount the portable winch on each side. A pull close to the frame rail will put less strain on things. But with that big of winch might be better to make a permeant mount for it. The winch, and a mount strong enough to hold it to truck will be a chore to manhandle. Maybe a smaller winch, pullies, and extra line would work better.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you hook the winch cable to that will stand up to 17K pull?

Slownsy

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am no engineer but from what I have read one should select a winch with 2 times the weight pulling capacity of the vehicles weight, and there are plenty out there, the one I am considering is the Sherpa 17000 lb from memory weight is only about 70lb. I have read test of a great range of winches and this had the great stamina and used less A than most others. It is unlikely that the full potential pulling power will ever be used as after all vehicles is rolling on wheels and has still got some power. I will also have extra straps rope and pulleys to help.I do also have max tracks Extraction boards. I have had the pleasure of digging out my F. Truck as well as being pulled out by others, and simply think the winch is less hard work.
Frank.

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slownsy wrote:

Hornet28 nice setup.
Frank.

Thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Front hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.