Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fresh Water Tank Overflowing When Turning
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fresh Water Tank Overflowing When Turning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Ricky R

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig is a 2019 (but recently bought new, never used) Jayco 27SGX fifth wheel. I left the campground today, after our first trip, with 1/3 level in my fresh water tank. I noticed water pouring out onto the road whenever I would turn to the left. I pulled into a large parking lot and had my wife watch while I made a left turn. She noted water coming out of what appears to be the fresh water tank vent located at the passenger side rear of the coach. There are two lines here, one is around 5/8" diameter water hose, and the other is around 1-1/4" corrugated plastic hose with a flattened rubber boot attached. The water is coming from the larger line with the boot. So...is this normal? Is there something that I should be doing to prevent this? It does not make sense to me to fill the fresh water tank, then have the water that you need spill out at each left turn.
Thanks for any helpful replies.

Ricky R

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's one of those thing called centrifugal force. A full coffee cup with no lid will spill if you apply the brakes. Same thing. Go get a tapered wine bottle cork, put a stainless screw in it with a short piece of string and insert it into the fill port. Problem solved, mine does the same thing.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Fisherman's resolution and cause, but ours has never done this. We have an overflow vent, in fact, we fill till we hear it "burp" and have never had it spill like described. Seems to me to be poor design, unless that's a Jayco thing, the vent that is.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a North Peak 5th wheel in which the vent line was routed so that we would lose three quarters of our freshwater on a trip to the campground. When we complain to North Peak they said that's the way they do all the vent lines. Not much help.

We capped off 1 of the vent lines (On the driver side) and rerouted the other vent line to the vent located in the fill line. This solved the problem.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Ricky R

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the quick replies. I just thought that there may have been something I was missing, this is our 5th fifth wheel and we have never had any issues with any of the others. I agree with TenOC, poor design, I will look at DIY modifications.

Thanks,
Ricky R.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar thing happening, and it also happened when parked on a steep hill.

I extended the overflow vent line about 15" above the top of the tank, and then down to vent out the bottom of the MH. I used a flexible CPAP hose. It stopped the problem.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My class c does it, but not with only 1/3 tank, only when it's full.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 1-1/4 in line would be the gravity fill on most of the older trailers. Do you have a gravity fill? If so my guess is that the tube has become disconnected.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

The 1-1/4 in line would be the gravity fill on most of the older trailers. Do you have a gravity fill? If so my guess is that the tube has become disconnected.

I really doubt the line is disconnected otherwise the flood would be inside the trailer. More likely is that the fresh water holding tank is under the bed or similar place where the outside location of the fill point would prevent installing the fill point without having the hose visible through the wall inside. My fill point is about 2 inches above the tank, just under the sheet of plywood on the bed.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

That would my guess, I doubt that they used a 1-1/4" hose for a vent. Of course the RV industry will use anything and maybe they had some odd tanks to use up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fresh Water Tank Overflowing When Turning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.