Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tire Pressure
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tire Pressure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

If you run more pressure than the load calls for it can wear the tires out in the center faster than the edges. I had that problem on my 2500 Suburban. The tires are rated for 80 psi. The door placard calls for the rear tires to be 71 psi. I was running them at 65 psi because I know I'm not near max axle weight. The rear tires were wearing out in the center so I lowered it to 55psi.
According to the load inflation table that's all I need to carry the weight I've got on the rear tires so that makes it the proper pressure. Running 80 psi would be an incredibly harsh ride and wear the tires out worse.
You need to weight your axles, consult the chart, and inflate accordingly. Any other method is a guess and likely wrong.

I never worry over much about how rough the ride is for my trailer. I know the enemy of tires is heat. Tire flex makes heat. And I know that a tire inflated to max pressure will flex less than one set at a lower pressure for any given load. Will the underloaded/overinflated tires wear in the center? Likely, but who wears out the tread on RV tires?
And before somebody goes into a rant about the damage the rough ride might do to trailer, look at the damage a blown tire does.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the tire installed, and the tires on truck, are usually not the same type as trailer. Most RV trailer tires are ST, and just adequate when oem installed. These I run at max pressure, no matter the load. With the truck tires, it is more important to go with the psi, according to the load. My door sticker shows 75 front 80 rear, which I use when towing heavy. When unloaded, I keep the front near the 75 psi, but lower the rear to 65-70 psi.

Some people way over tire their RV trailer tires, then reduce the air to suit the load. Usually going from oem D-rated 65 psi, to an E-rated tire is not a problem. I would still run the Es at full 80 psi to take advantage of the extra capacity, and keep them running cooler. replacing a D with a G makes no sense, and no, you wouldn't want to run them at 110 psi

Jerry

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, if they add an additional camp chair or another flat of water bottles, do they weigh the trailer and inflate accordingly? Why make it so difficult? Just inflate to max cold recommendation and be done.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tire Pressure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.