Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: 1/2 ton truck towing question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 1/2 ton truck towing question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guidry wrote:

... buy a truck for your next RV, not the current one. I ended up getting a one ton for my 5th wheel then later added a truck camper. Glad I did because I didn't have to upgrade trucks.

Exactly.

This is why I still have the truck in my signature, I bought it 11 years ago, buy once, cry once.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't change the "rating". That comes from the manufacturer and doesn't change if you replace parts.

You may or may not be able to improve the capability. In addition to the springs, the axles, tires, brakes, frame and rims factor into the rating. Upgrading the springs may simply be putting a Band-Aid on the issue as the truck will look good but other parts may be over their ratings.

Honestly, I would cap out around 7500lb with a properly outfitted 1/2 ton. Much over that and I would want the bigger beefier 3/4 ton. Bigger brakes, axles, stronger frame, more truck weight relative to the trailer, etc... all make for a more pleasant and safer towing experience.

If you don't want to replace the truck, start looking at trailers where the GVWR is a bit lower.

PS: Toy haulers tend to have high percentage for hitch weight, so it's not just the tow rating. At 9000lb loaded, you could easily have a 1500lb hitch weight. Most 1/2 tons have a payload of only around 1500-2000lb...that leaves you in pretty tough shape once you add passenger weight and anything in the truck bed.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Increasing the GVWR, or the recommended capacity (payload sticker) is not possible. A better term is CAPABILITY, as some trucks can be made more capable, within reason. Due to designs, such as power train, which decides the GCWR of truck and trailer, tires/wheels, RAWR, makes your truck, not the best candidate for increasing capability. Just adding an extra spring, will not be enough. IMO, only knowing your tow capacity, and GVWR, of your truck, it may not be the best decision to try to make YOUR TRUCK, capable of safely towing that trailer mentioned.

Jerry

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“GM has a few 1500 setups that also would tow a trailer of this weight fine.“

I wouldn’t be comfortable at 10,000 pounds with any GM half ton.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FL JasonR wrote:

I am looking for a toy hauler to put a golf cart in. I’ve seen a few but they will be about 10,000 pounds after everything is loaded. Current tow capacity on the truck is 9300lbs. With GVWR @ 7,000lbs. I found a shop that will add an extra leaf to the rear end (.47in steel leaf, was told that would add roughly 600lbs each side) and install HD sway bars. Do you think this will be enough to increase my GVWR?

You will never get a 1/2 ton that will be able to handle 10,000 lbs safely or comfortably.
I tow a TT that weighs between 9200-9500 lbs with a 3500 SRW. I towed it previously with a 2500. No way in He!! would I ever want to hitch it up to a 1/2 ton and tow for any reasonable distance.
The 1st time you round a blind corner at 55-60 mph and you need to panic stop, or you're out in the open with 15-25 mph crosswinds you'll be purchasing new underwear if you're lucky.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

You haven't towed with a 1500HDbthen have you. An 8409 gvwr from the factory. C6P payload pkg, basic 8600gvwr 2500 of past year's. Granted not built anymore which is too bad.

GM has a 1500 with an HD payload tow pkg, 6.2 V8, 10 sp auto, per a few folks I know towing 10-12k trailers over local Cascade mtns, no issues.

The trailer the IP is looking at may not be a smart one to tow....only numbers we have are ratings. Legally speaking, he could run down the road at 100,000 lbs if he or any of us wants too! Not saying it would be smart in many cases, it would be legal to do assuming appropriate licensed, tax paid, meets lighting, braking, no overloads on axles tires etc per federal bridge laws.

Auto makers do not make the laws, feds do in this case. Auto makers follow certain regs and specs, then what they want to warranty the vehicle at. No Leo enforces manufactured warranty wieght ratings. Only the point load on the road so vehicles do not damage the road bed.

What OP wants to do is not illegal. Whether it will succeed in doing what he needs it to do is another story.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which part of “I wouldn’t be comfortable...” suggests it’s illegal, Marty?

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What OP has to worry about mostly, warranty! Go over those manufacture ratings, warranty could be denied if the rig is within warranty, Along with it can be shown, going over ratings caused a premature breakage of an item being turned in for warranty.
The person company that installs springs, can put an addendum on door pillar to the effect that rear spring capacity increased by 1200 lbs, increased wieght of vehicle by 100lbs or whatever the springs added in capacity and wieght to the ruck.

Marty

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

If the truck rating is sufficient I would have no hesitation for all conditions.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not just warranty, bit. Manufacturer proves truck modified and is excused from defendants’ table. Truck owner’s insurance has probably already paid out policy maximum and isn’t sitting at the table. Truck owner is all alone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 1/2 ton truck towing question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.