Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Time to retire the 7.3 OBS?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Time to retire the 7.3 OBS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ctrout wrote:

Would I be better off pouring the $5000 into getting my Powerstroke overhauled, or selling it for maybe $5-$6k and finding a bulletproofed 6.0, or something else that I could get maybe in the spring when I have maybe $15k to spend?

A lot of the answer to that question depends on the condition of the rest of the truck !

How are the brakes, shocks and springs ? If you have not dealt with them in the past 5 years, you will be soon ! Also things like brake line and fuel lines. Those do not last forever.

The whole front suspension need to be inspected. Ball joints, etc, etc.

Remember, this is NOT a full engine overhaul ! Basically gasket and some maintenance items. My buddy just had the EGR cooler on a 6.0L replaced. IIRC, it was about $10k ! [emoticon]

As much as you love your 7.3L, the hay day of the pickup truck diesel. IMHO, they are just not cost effective. The 6.0L and the 6.4L have many more issues that the 7.3L. The current 6.7L makes good power, but the the fuel economy is not as good as the 7.3L and it requires DEF.

Unless you are putting +50K/year on your truck, most of that time hauling a full load, it is time to look at the new 7.3L gas motor w/10 speed automatic.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

ctrout wrote:

Would I be better off pouring the $5000 into getting my Powerstroke overhauled, or selling it for maybe $5-$6k and finding a bulletproofed 6.0, or something else that I could get maybe in the spring when I have maybe $15k to spend?

A lot of the answer to that question depends on the condition of the rest of the truck !

How are the brakes, shocks and springs ? If you have not dealt with them in the past 5 years, you will be soon ! Also things like brake line and fuel lines. Those do not last forever.

Remember, this is NOT a full engine overhaul ! Basically gasket and some maintenance items. My buddy just had the EGR cooler on a 6.0L replaced. IIRC, it was about $10k ! [emoticon]

As much as you love your 7.3L, the hay day of the pickup truck diesel. IMHO, they are just not cost effective. The 6.0L and the 6.4L have many more issues that the 7.3L. The current 6.7L makes good power, but the the fuel economy is not as good as the 7.3L and it requires DEF.

Unless you are putting +50K/year on your truck, most of that time hauling a full load, it is time to look at the new 7.3L gas motor w/10 speed automatic.

A EGR cooler replacement on a 6.0L does not cost $10k

A 7.3L does not make better fuel mileage than a 6.7L

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget the engine out repair. Fix the current fuel issue to get it running and see what you think in January.
And when you do go in next year consider an independent shop. I would clean the engine and just fix what actually leaks... maybe.
Save your money and cash for possibly the final RV.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those recommending $30-50k trucks, maybe read the post from the person asking the question before you respond.
You may as well given him a cake recipe or something rather than your advice to buy a brand new truck! Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to tow my truck to the shop on my last vacation, bearing failure damaged axle housing $3,800 repair to a truck I paid $8,000 for (2001 7.3) I wanted a new truck bad for a while, but I’m over that now and back to saving my pennies for a house with a shop. Any truck you get no matter how new or expensive can leave you stranded. If you want a new truck get one, but know that the cheapest route is to probably just keep yours going.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

ctrout wrote:

Wow, your buddy got ripped big time. $10K for a EGR cooler! I just replaced mine 2 years ago for $300. That was with a stainless steel tube unit and having a Ford tech install it.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

My buddy just had the EGR cooler on a 6.0L replaced. IIRC, it was about $10k ! [emoticon]
Wow, your buddy got ripped big time. $10K for a EGR cooler! I just replaced mine 2 years ago for $300. That was with a stainless steel tube unit and having a Ford tech install it.

Just talked to my buddy, besides the EGR cooler they decide it need new head gaskets (?) which meant new head bolts (torque to yield).

He said "close to $10k" when everything was done.

One of his big problems was finding a shop that could get him in and out in under 1 month !

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

My buddy just had the EGR cooler on a 6.0L replaced. IIRC, it was about $10k ! [emoticon]

Just talked to my buddy, besides the EGR cooler they decide it need new head gaskets (?) which meant new head bolts (torque to yield).

He said "close to $10k" when everything was done.

One of his big problems was finding a shop that could get him in and out in under 1 month !

That was still too expensive and took too long. I can assure him that tech did him no favors.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my 6.0 “bulletproofed” for $3300. Included head studs, head gaskets, injectors, egr delete, and whatever else was required. Been trouble free for over 100k miles.

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might be surprised how much your truck is worth. The 7.3 engines are highly desired.
I got $17,000.00 for our 2002 F350 long bed sight unseen. Granted; it only had 67,000 miles on it.
If you like your truck and it can do the job, fix it and keep it. KEN

I (2-10-05) bought a 2002 F350 CC SWD PSD and a new 2003 Citation 10'8. I have been a tent camper all my life. I wanted more comfort while camping and CraterLake Ski Patrol.
It's time for more space. I purchased a 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Time to retire the 7.3 OBS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.