Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Torque Wrench for WD Hitch nylock nuts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Torque Wrench for WD Hitch nylock nuts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dolfinwriter

El Cajon, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I found a simple solution:
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-20743A-Digital-Adapter-Foot-Pound/dp/B009GLITFW/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=400%2Bft%2Blb%2Btorque%2Bwrench&qid=1603572222&sr=8-5&th=1

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think mixing up 3/4" bolt (measured at the shank dia) vs across the hex flats

A 3/4" across the hex flats is a 1/2" bolt...which IIRC, tops out around 160 ft/lbs max torque for a grade 8

A 3/4" bolt (measured at the shank), IIRC, tops out around 380 ft/lbs

Socket sets are sized by the measurement across the square flats

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 3/4" bolt will have a hex head with 1.125" across the flats

Therefore, needs a 1 1/8" socket

dolfinwriter

El Cajon, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

A 3/4" bolt will have a hex head with 1.125" across the flats

Therefore, needs a 1 1/8" socket

I think you're right, but they left that out of the list of tools needed. Looks like I need to go check every fastener and make sure exactly what I need and not trust the manual that came with it. That will definitely be a comment in my review of this thing later!

[image]

[image]

* This post was last edited 10/25/20 09:14am by dolfinwriter *   View edit history

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are over thinking this.

Just buy the appropriate length breaker bar so your body weight will generate the torque needed.

If you weigh 180 pounds. A 2 foot breaker bar will apply 360 foot pounds.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP posted a list of tools and one of them is a 1 and 1/8 in. wrench for the 3/4 in. bolt.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask folks at a Ryder/Penske shop or the like. If all else fails, Snap-On or MAC tools. How about a semi tire service shop as well.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

dolfinwriter

El Cajon, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After lining up all the bolts and checking them against the manual and kind of mock-up test fitting, they left off a 1-1/16" socket for the nylock nut on the 3/4" bolt and a 5/8" open end wrench for the square head frame bracket bolts. I could use a Crescent hammer for those, but adjustable wrench isn't listed either.

So thank you to BenK for mentioning the bolt hex head size vs. bolt diameter, because that prompted me to verify everything I need.

The 3/4" bolt hex head is 1-1/8", but the nylock nuts on those bolts are 1-1/16". Those 1-1/16" nylock nuts are the ones that need to be torqued to 380 ft-lbs.

The install instructions leave a bit to be desired. Maybe they're written "correctly" for the way engineers think and talk, but most people putting this together won't be engineers. And if you assume that a 3/4" bolt means both hex head and nylock nuts are 1-1/8", then you'd be wrong.

What amazes me is the most common response I have gotten is to take it to a semi or big rig maintenance facility and bother them to borrow a proper torque wrench for this. Is that really what most people who are doctors, lawyers, cybersecurity professionals, carpenters, electricians, teachers, bankers, police officers... do? I doubt most people even know where to find one.

Probably the second most common is some version of a "calibrated elbow" approach. I don't torque spec every single thing I work on that lists a torque spec, but torque specs exist to ensure that things are properly tightened, but at the same time not OVER-tightened. This seems like something where it is really important to get it right. One of the reviews of this was a user who winged it, and down the road it came loose. He was smart enough to be checking it at intervals, so he caught it and had tools to tighten it. But would it have come loose at all if he'd gotten the torque to spec to begin with?

So I bought a 3/4" breaker bar, a 3.4" torque adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GLITFW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and a 3/4" 6-pt impact rated socket set w/ratchet and extensions. It's costing me about as much as the proper rated torque wrench by itself, but I'll do this right and I'll have some versatile tools for future use.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's always been my approach to buy the tools as needed and if I break something then it won't happen twice.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dolfinwriter wrote:

After lining up all the bolts and checking them against the manual and kind of mock-up test fitting, they left off a 1-1/16" socket for the nylock nut on the 3/4" bolt and a 5/8" open end wrench for the square head frame bracket bolts. I could use a Crescent hammer for those, but adjustable wrench isn't listed either.

So thank you to BenK for mentioning the bolt hex head size vs. bolt diameter, because that prompted me to verify everything I need.

The 3/4" bolt hex head is 1-1/8", but the nylock nuts on those bolts are 1-1/16". Those 1-1/16" nylock nuts are the ones that need to be torqued to 380 ft-lbs.

The install instructions leave a bit to be desired. Maybe they're written "correctly" for the way engineers think and talk, but most people putting this together won't be engineers. And if you assume that a 3/4" bolt means both hex head and nylock nuts are 1-1/8", then you'd be wrong.

What amazes me is the most common response I have gotten is to take it to a semi or big rig maintenance facility and bother them to borrow a proper torque wrench for this. Is that really what most people who are doctors, lawyers, cybersecurity professionals, carpenters, electricians, teachers, bankers, police officers... do? I doubt most people even know where to find one.

Probably the second most common is some version of a "calibrated elbow" approach. I don't torque spec every single thing I work on that lists a torque spec, but torque specs exist to ensure that things are properly tightened, but at the same time not OVER-tightened. This seems like something where it is really important to get it right. One of the reviews of this was a user who winged it, and down the road it came loose. He was smart enough to be checking it at intervals, so he caught it and had tools to tighten it. But would it have come loose at all if he'd gotten the torque to spec to begin with?

So I bought a 3/4" breaker bar, a 3.4" torque adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GLITFW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and a 3/4" 6-pt impact rated socket set w/ratchet and extensions. It's costing me about as much as the proper rated torque wrench by itself, but I'll do this right and I'll have some versatile tools for future use.

Good decision. I hadn't realized digital in-line torque readers had become so inexpensive. They used to be a lot more expensive than a 3/4" torque wrench. Still make sure you support your work to the ground with a floor jack. Your torque reader will read 380 ft-lbs but the energy used to compress the truck's springs will not make it to tighten the fastener and you will be under torqued.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Torque Wrench for WD Hitch nylock nuts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.