Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Torque Wrench for WD Hitch nylock nuts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Torque Wrench for WD Hitch nylock nuts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, that makes sense pulling that trailer with a small truck.
Good on you.
Dang , those conduits are usually welded on.
Could you zip some welds off and slip the bracket behind the conduit?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was going to be torqueing the bolts, I would put a jack under to support. Will that change the final reading/actual torque on the bolt? No. But I'm lazy, don't like to do extra work. Likely the person turning the wrench will not see it, but as he bears down on the wrench the vehicle goes down. Then when release pressure to get another flat, vehicle comes back up.(More likely to see that.) Every stroke, as the bolt gets tighter, more of the force is used to compress springs before the nut starts to turn. That is wasted work.
Something else to think about; I don't know how many times I have had a helper, (confess, once I was the helper) when I have pulled a bolt to get it torqued, then hear "Need to back it off, wrench is locked" Yes, arm wrestling when the other guys wrench is 4 times as long as yours it is easy to wedge your wrench against something solid. By yourself even easier. Hold a bar or board between wrench and solid so you can have leverage to pull it out, get play, and your wrench back.
BTW, most of my life I would of turned things so I was lifting instead pushing down. I could lift more than I weighed, let alone what weight I could get on the wrench. But I have gained over 100 lbs, and lost muscle

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dolfinwriter wrote:

What amazes me is the most common response I have gotten is to take it to a semi or big rig maintenance facility and bother them to borrow a proper torque wrench for this. Is that really what most people who are doctors, lawyers, cybersecurity professionals, carpenters, electricians, teachers, bankers, police officers... do? I doubt most people even know where to find one.

Most people pay the RV dealer to install the hitch.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dolfinwriter wrote:

I'm also really curious how the wiring is routed on other trailers from the body of the trailer to the coupler and umbilical connector.

On any of mine, the wiring is just held to the frame by clamps.

dolfinwriter

El Cajon, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

dolfinwriter wrote:

What amazes me is the most common response I have gotten is to take it to a semi or big rig maintenance facility and bother them to borrow a proper torque wrench for this. Is that really what most people who are doctors, lawyers, cybersecurity professionals, carpenters, electricians, teachers, bankers, police officers... do? I doubt most people even know where to find one.

Not sure how they can do it if they don't have a torque wrench either.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used my 24" adjustable wrench and a four foot 1 1/2" sch 40 pipe...then jumped on it with my 220 lbs.
Working at the C-17 Tulsa mod center in '97. One big mil spec bolt into the wing spar had a 3400 ft lb torque. It took three 6' plus husky guys with a six foot 2" pipe on a torque multiplier to get'r done. The bolt could only be reached on top of the wing out on the very leading edge. Luckily I wasn't 6' tall.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dolfinwriter

El Cajon, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

I used my 24" adjustable wrench and a four foot 1 1/2" sch 40 pipe...then jumped on it with my 220 lbs.
Working at the C-17 Tulsa mod center in '97. One big mil spec bolt into the wing spar had a 3400 ft lb torque. It took three 6' plus husky guys with a six foot 2" pipe on a torque multiplier to get'r done. The bolt could only be reached on top of the wing out on the very leading edge. Luckily I wasn't 6' tall.

I won't give numbers, but the torque required for head bolts on a submarine nuclear reactor cannot be reached without thermal changes, and normally only done in a shipyard.

Boeing didn't provide appropriate tools to do this wing job?

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At that particular time we were still McDonnell/Douglas however musta' been ok...USAF inspectors bought it off. I do know this site was considered a field operation...not a manufacturing operation.

dolfinwriter

El Cajon, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 01:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I decided to just grind off the one weld bead in the middle and pry the tube away from the frame so I can slip the bracket between the frame and the tube. That leaves just one weld bead at each end of the three feet long tubes. I may slip a hose clamp or something over it to make sure it doesn't pop off, and I may eventually just cut the wires and remove these tubes, and then solder splice the wires and use plastic corrugate or something like that.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dolfinwriter wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

dolfinwriter wrote:

Not sure how they can do it if they don't have a torque wrench either.

They do it, all the time. Probably with an impact gun. They probably don't even count the ugga-duggas. They've done enough of them to know what tight feels like without a torque wrench.

Folks have to keep in mind we're not building a Formula 1 race engine here. We're assembling a weight distributing hitch with big beefy castings and large bolts. Close enough is close enough, and there are ways to get close enough without having a torque wrench.

If you want to fret about having all the bolts tightened to laboratory accuracy that's your prerogative, but again, close enough is close enough.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Torque Wrench for WD Hitch nylock nuts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.