Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: questions.... I have them..:D
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> questions.... I have them.. :D

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) the fresh water tank fill on my motorhome is the kind where you have to hook up a hose and have pressure on it, to fill, just like the "city water". I would prefer to have a gravity fill so water can be added from a jug, or from a hose, using this adapter that I already have. I also really dislike messing around with screwing the hose on.

Question 1: How big a deal would it be to change out that opening and is it something a person with a few skills could do herself?

I'm also planning to winterize by blowing out the lines, rather than pink stuff (except the traps, of course.) I may go back and forth a few times a year doing this, so it seems less hassle than removing all the stuff in the storage space, taking off a panel, using the pump, and then reversing the process before very long. I have a small compressor and hose.

Question 2: Is this the fitting I need?

Question 3: Are there any particular pitfalls to winterizing using compressed air? I've been googling around and reading here.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many just carry a 12V water pump and pump out of a jug into the tank. I would not commit surgery on my piping unless forced to do so. My 12V was a spare water pump and sure enough my water pump croaked this summer.

Whatever you do do not pressurize the plumbing system beyond it's design limits.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Vw triker

Millboro, va

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a gravity fill port?
That is the correct one, I have a plastic one.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vw triker wrote:

Do you have a gravity fill port?
That is the correct one, I have a plastic one.

The port that goes to the fresh water tank is not set up for gravity fill. The male hose end has to be screwed into it. It looks just like the city water inlet. This is the port I want to switch out.

I'm assuming for winterizing with air, I use the city water inlet. Is this correct?

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You fill you tank probably theough the same hose for the winterizing thats attached to your pump. You could elongate that line to the outside or underside and use it that way also. As was said you can get a separate pump and fill from a bucket also. Changing out to a gravity feed can be done, but you have to have acess to the water tank and make some holes in the camper to do it. Probably not worth it. Easier to drill a hole in the bottem of the camper and extend the winterizing line. ( just check that yours fills the tank that way, check the owners manual)
I would use antifreeze myself, i dont know how you can blow out the water in the water pump on a camper. If it doesn't get that cold during the winter it may not matter. The choice and chance is yours to make.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Many just carry a 12V water pump and pump out of a jug into the tank. I would not commit surgery on my piping unless forced to do so. My 12V was a spare water pump and sure enough my water pump croaked this summer.

Whatever you do do not pressurize the plumbing system beyond it's design limits.

I don't think this really surgery, it's just a fitting at the end of a line. [emoticon]

From what I've read, 25 PSI is adequate for winterizing and that is what I plan to use.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 5th wheel the fresh water tank have a overflow/vent that is covered by a square plastic housing. Push up hard on the housing and it pops off. Then you can attach a gravity fill funnel to fill the tank.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

* This post was edited 10/25/20 07:33pm by TenOC *

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 77 year old hands have trouble screwing hose fittings tightly together, so I equipped my water hoses and city water port with quick disconnects that make the job much easier. I found the brass QD's linked below to be more reliable and longer lasting than the cheaper plastic or brass colored aluminium kind.

ShowNew Garden Hose Quick Connectors, Solid Brass

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post pics.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Post pics.

Of what?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> questions.... I have them.. :D
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.