Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Blue water in black tank - does it freeze?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Blue water in black tank - does it freeze?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it could freeze. Use the pink!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Unless the tank is right full where the water has nowhere to go when it expands it won't cause a problem when it freezes.

The freezing temperature of blue water is lower than regular water but nowhere near as low as the pink stuff.

You may find your dump valves frozen solid and will not move till thawed if water is in your waste tanks. This is not a problem if you plan to wait till Spring to use the camper again or you have access to the valves with a hair drier.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago when I bought a 33ft travel trailer from Nelson's RV,there was work that had to be done with it before I took ownership and we lived 100 miles away in McCall Idaho..So they let us stay in it on the lot while they took acre of mostly outside minor problems...

The guy took a 3# coffee can full of rock salt and poured it down the toilet..The black never froze there in the lot or the long trip back home in freezing temps..

Simple and cheap as well as RV anti-freeze..If in doubt,put something in it and be safe..They will crack and break..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue water makes me think its got whatever the base water quantity plus the standard Tank stink solution (which is generally blue) in it. If the tank is predominately, empty, it won't cause damage, but it will freeze.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Color me ignorant, but... what is "blue" water?

I know what black water is, I know gray water... I know what is meant by "pink stuff." I have used blue windshield wiper fluid in my black tank and cassette reservoir (but I don't think that is what we are talking 'bout here.)

Is blue water just another term for regular potable water in the domestic pluming?

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

I know what black water is, I know gray water... I know what is meant by "pink stuff." I have used blue windshield wiper fluid in my black tank and cassette reservoir (but I don't think that is what we are talking 'bout here.)

Is blue water just another term for regular potable water in the domestic pluming?

Blue water probably = tank deodorizer in the water. He’ll be fine...

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

Blue water. The stuff the chit sucker puts back in the tank in the blue room after he removes the baby Ruth’s and corn!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dump the tanks, winterize the water system with pink RV antifreeze and don’t forget to winterize/flush the toilet.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the tips. It is water with deodorizer I am sure based on the scent in the bathroom. For now, I put some RV anti freeze in it until I get home from an elk trip for a few days. After that, I'll drive it somewhere and drain it properly and winterize with RV antifreeze.

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

d3500ram wrote:

Blue water probably = tank deodorizer in the water. He’ll be fine...

I’m afraid I’m just as ignorant. It’s been so long since I’d used the blue holding tank chemical that I forgot that the most widely used one is blue [emoticon]

“With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one.” — William of Ockham

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Blue water in black tank - does it freeze?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.