Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: made up own towing system
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> made up own towing system

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve never for got the movin’’ parts.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

120K miles behind 3 different DPs. Advantage is I can backup and get to discuss with the toll booth person how many axles I should pay for.
[image]

Only 8K miles towing a Prius...it’s not a dolly.
[image]

[image]

* This post was last edited 10/27/20 07:31pm by Ivylog *   View edit history

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I made/fabricated the vehicle attachment for my '95 Dodge Stratus. I towed the car for years without issue.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Homemade stuff scares me. Huge liability exposure IMO.

1 thing about it; If it is homemade you can be sure it was made to use. Most of what is manufactured is only made to sell. Of course, a lot depends on what home it is made in.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

1 thing about it; If it is homemade you can be sure it was made to use. Most of what is manufactured is only made to sell. Of course, a lot depends on what home it is made in.
And mfg units have millions of successful miles of usage. Which one would you prefer to have when explainig your side to the insurance company or judge?

Liability is also a consideration for me and top of the list for a toad is the aux brake.

For serious accidents professionals hired by lawyers with equipped cars measure every aspect of road variations, vehicle setup, speed, etc.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess my $30 and 30 seconds to install braking system is going to scare and worry some of Y’all. 2 more payments and it will be paid for. Again only been using it for 120K miles.
[image]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

And mfg units have millions of successful miles of usage. Which one would you prefer to have when explainig your side to the insurance company or judge?

Liability is also a consideration for me and top of the list for a toad is the aux brake.

For serious accidents professionals hired by lawyers with equipped cars measure every aspect of road variations, vehicle setup, speed, etc.

First off, the post I quoted appeared to disparage "homemade" in general, not just towing systems. Most things that are manufactured serve there propose well. Others, as soon as money goes across the counter they have done all they are designed to do. Much that is sold is advertised as universal fit. Most think that always means it will fit all applications. But what it means is it is never a exact fit. Often a handy person can build something that does exactly what he wants, and will work better for him than store bought.
As for liability, the guy that lays the money down is going to assume that whoever built it did it right. Might even read the directions. If you are using something you built you know how it is supposed to look/work. If something is going wrong he is more likely to be aware if something is going wrong. This, IMHO, reduces the chance of accident.
Accident, you are using storebought. The injured party names you in the suit. You try to pass responsibility to the corporation that made it. Likely, if you are using defective equipment the injured party will win. But as most courts are likely to find in favor of the corporation.

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have made 2 tow bars for jeeps and I fabricated my own bumper with hitch on a 30' class A motor home that was stronger and better than any bumper I have seen since. The bumper was made from 4" x 6" 1/4" wall tube. It was tied back into the frame in several spots on each side. It had 3" solid steel wheels with greaseable pins for when the MH drug bottom going in and out of some driveways.

I have built flat beds for trucks and built trailers. It really depends on your skill level.

Some stuff I have seen that came from an Import factory scares me more than a well built home made project. I have also seen home built stuff that scares me.

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crawford wrote:

wish I did my wife aways yells that I forget it all the time.

Without punctuation this post can be read two different ways [emoticon]

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

crawford wrote:

wish I did my wife aways yells that I forget it all the time.

Without punctuation this post can be read two different ways [emoticon]

[emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> made up own towing system
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.