Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Heating Cost: Electric vs. Propane
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Heating Cost: Electric vs. Propane

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that the propane furnace also heats the chamber where the tanks reside. A portable electric heater will not heat those areas, unless you run the furnace fan without heat, IF your thermostat will allow that (Mine won't.).
The instructions for many portable 1500 watt electric heaters state that they should not be operated while asleep. Sure, it is a CYA for the manufacturer, as required by corporate lawyers, but it is something to consider.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electric space heater does NOTHING to heat/keep warm RV Plumbing, waste tanks etc
RV Furnace is needed for that.

20# cylinders hold 20# of propane at 80% liquid level
4.2#/gal=4.7 gallons=19.7#

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

Keep in mind that the propane furnace also heats the chamber where the tanks reside. A portable electric heater will not heat those areas, unless you run the furnace fan without heat, IF your thermostat will allow that (Mine won't.).
The instructions for many portable 1500 watt electric heaters state that they should not be operated while asleep. Sure, it is a CYA for the manufacturer, as required by corporate lawyers, but it is something to consider.

More good tips. Here in the Rio Grande Valley it almost never gets to freezing but if it does I'll be sure to run the furnace. I'll probably take my chances with the electric heater running all night, too. They are less than 1 year old and I keep them far away from anything flammable.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You heat your coach to 73? That's pretty hot. I would definitely use electric if the prices are comparable, because you'll go through LP so quickly.

In the colder months I set the thermostat to 55 to keep it from getting too cold and to keep the basement warm.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At home we use the furnace to keep the house about 62. We have electric heaters to run in bathroom, DWs sewing room, and living room.
When I was in the sleeper, down to about 20, I would use blankets and electric mattress pad. A small inverter powered a heat lamp that shined on the area next to bed. Turn it on, out of bed to crank the cat, stay in beam to dress and make coffee.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look at it a bit differently. When we had a 38' DP, and set the furnace to propane, it would heat the entire rig. But at night I could use an electric space heater (carefully) in the bedroom and just keep that space warm. Gotta be more economical.

This of course assumes it's not getting cold enough to threaten the plumbing with freezing.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All posts I have seen it appears to be about the same cost. Although if you have a heat pump you should get 2x the BTU from the same electric energy.

I would use a combination of both.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Here is a cost comparison calculator:

http://www.maxmcarter.com/fuels/fuelscalc.html

Gosh Don, where do you find these things? [emoticon]
That's excellent!

ummm I'm addicted to the wobbly wide web?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Electric space heater does NOTHING to heat/keep warm RV Plumbing, waste tanks etc
RV Furnace is needed for that.

20# cylinders hold 20# of propane at 80% liquid level
4.2#/gal=4.7 gallons=19.7#

Replace the return air grill for the furnace with a twindow fan. That may pressurize the duct work and keep just a bit of warm air moving. I've not had a freeze up since I did this, and I've rv'ed at -37 c (-34 f).

[image]

* This post was edited 10/28/20 12:20pm by pianotuna *

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you have concerns about freezing tanks, I would go with electric. LP tanks just don't last that long and depending on the area getting refills can be an issue.

I don't do exchanges for several reasons. First there is a major rip off because exchange tanks are filled at 15# versus 20# for a refill. That increases the cost and requires more frequent exchanges. Second the exchange sites often do not re-certify tanks. Numerous times I got very old, out of date tanks that could not legally be refilled.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Heating Cost: Electric vs. Propane
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.