Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Receiver Bike Racks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Receiver Bike Racks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
rav

Full Timing

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Hollywood Racks RV Rider, designed for the RV. It's the one I purchased for our ebikes.

Addy15

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Unless something has changed, Swagman is the only bike rack manufacturer that has racks approved for RV usage.

We have an RV-rated Yakima and are very happy with it...

Friends have/had a Swagman and lost a bike during a trip we were on together. Several hundred dollars worth of damage to the bike...

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Swagman XC4 Bike rack. It replaced a generic 4 bike hanging style rack. I now wish I would've done it years ago. I will never go with anything but a platform rack. Swagman makes a very good product.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thule Made in Sweden I think is very good quality. I use mine all the time. It is so solid I can use it to stand on going in and out the back door of my truck camper. It also has a built in tightening nut to stop the wiggles. It swings down when not in use.

I got an rv type bike rack for free and only had one single bar to hold the bikes. It was not right as the bikes would swing side to side. So I got the Thule and they all have two bars. Very high end with excellent quality stretch bands to hold the bikes. I would look at Thule.

jwoods61us

INDY

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to put the bikes on the front, you might consider the Jack-It.

John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ordered a Kuat Transfer V2 2 bike carrier for the back of our Class C. I wanted a swing out type but no one seems to make them rated for RV's so I got the Kuat tilt for our two ebikes. It was about the only tilt carrier rated for RV use that I could find.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Martyn

Panama City Beach, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

Thule Made in Sweden I think is very good quality. I use mine all the time. It is so solid I can use it to stand on going in and out the back door of my truck camper. It also has a built in tightening nut to stop the wiggles. It swings down when not in use.

I got an rv type bike rack for free and only had one single bar to hold the bikes. It was not right as the bikes would swing side to side. So I got the Thule and they all have two bars. Very high end with excellent quality stretch bands to hold the bikes. I would look at Thule.

I second this. We have had a Thule T2 Classic 2 for 14 years and have carried two bikes on it behind our 5er with no problem. Well worth the money. Best product out there.

2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess a tilt works for a class C. No good at all for a B where access to the rear doors is a must so a full swing one is all that really works. Ours may not be “RV rated” but it’s a 4 bike rack that only ever carries 2 bikes so I’m not the least bit concerned. Actually I don’t think much of the RV rated designation. The rack has a built in no wobble receiver tightening system and the bikes each have multiple ratchet straps. Nothing moves anywhere, so I don’t think it would make a difference in engineering dynamics what vehicle it was installed on.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe what makes a rack RV rated is that it does not have a hinge at the back. So, an SUV rack, has a hinge to move out of the way when you open the tailgate. This hinge is a week point. When your RV bounces, more than a typical car or truck, that puts extra stress on the rack, especially with heavy bikes. The Yakima rack has a solid hinge (or lack there of) so it can not brake at that point. I've seen many types driving down the road, but so far my experience is good with the Yakima rack on the back of a 5th wheel.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That CURT 18085 is just not what a bike enthusiast would use. You want the kind that does have a tray, but where the arms hold the tires and only the tires, not the frame. One thing in common to all bikes is they have a front wheel and a rear wheel, so tire "arms" will hold any bike.
That sad guy who worked at a bike shop for 30 years, demonstrates that don't trust everyone who works there. No, is not "elitist" to recommend a quality rack over a junky one. Good racks are good racks, bad ones are bad. My "resume" far exceeds that forum poster guy and my advice is to look for the best rack for the money you are wanting to spend.
I have seen a lot of junky bike racks doing poorly at their job on the back of RVs, and have seen quality ones. Even if you have a $12 walmark bike a good quality rack will still be more enjoyable and easier to use and much more functional.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Receiver Bike Racks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.