Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ideal RV space size for new park?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Ideal RV space size for new park?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

California and the local authorities will have dozens of regulations and requirements relating to the construction of the park. Those will likely dictate the park layout. Among the things that will need to be addressed is the layout and location of any septic treatment plant, the construction, size and layout of the roads including turning radii as well as entry and exits to allow for emergency vehicles. There is likely requirements as to how far away some services can be from the sites (in my state a site without a sewer hookup cannot be more than 300 feet from a restroom). There will also assuredly be subdivision laws that will govern number of sites per acre and minimum separation between pads.
Once you clear the government, you will have to consider slope and drainage of the property. You may have requirements of fencing, of setbacks from boundaries, setbacks from roads etc. Only then can you start planning sites.
as a practical matter, to work with most all RVs a minimum of about 60 feet in length, with 75 more desireable. Widths less than 30 feet are generally considered close together. If you are looking primarily at long term workers you will also need to consid the space nedded 2nd vehicles and work vehicles.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pull through spots are nice. We camp with a hybrid trailer and hate staying close to others due to noise. I would say space between spots is the more important factor. Depth for long rigs including TV is important. Didth 60 plus width is good. There is a balance between acreage and number of spots I realize. Good luck. Making those spots spot on level is also a huge plus. Thanks for asking

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I would design with all sites as pull through.

I'd rather back in and have nothing behind me but trees.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put hookups in the center of the "run". This way spaces can be utilized as "buddy" spots where RVs can pull in alternate directions to put door sides together. The one pulling in "backwards" hooks up by pulling utilities under their RV.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First is to contact your state and national associatoins. CampCal Now , and ARVC Do not even think of building a camp without the guidance of these regulatory bodies helping you.
NHPA guidelines are not law, are helpful in design.
to answer your simple questions, Less is more. The expansion in size, of RVs (yes a trailer is an rv) demands more space, L x W so less units will occupy your land, but at lower cost and demand on utility.
Trends today with slides and awninggs demand a minimum of 40' width post to post, with todays 45' MHs and 5ers with tow and toys mean that with disconnect , unload 80' is the mean length of a pull through
Site sizing at this time is the foremost of your issues, I would say that 5 acres is not enough to open enough sites to make it a profitable venture.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 03:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you get further into this, especially in CA, the coast of permit and design work will scare the bejesus out of you.

Locations and # of electric pedestals are controlled by the NEC. The cost of electric service alone will probably put a stop to the whole thing. I know two people who tried it.

Better off to buy an existing park and remodel it.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F5Park wrote:

great input, thank you.
My location is not a destination location. We are too far from I-5 to jump off and stay the night. The other parks in the area cater to more longer term RVs/5th wheels. I see the need for more longer term folks with the option for
less than 5 day campers. I am planning for at a minimum, 50,30,110 power50/30/110 power, level spots, maybe 30'x60' with back-in parking around the perimeter and pull-through in the middle. trying to limit 10 sites/acre. pet space, small play area, future to include bathroom, shower area. picnic table per site, fire rings not allowed at this time.
laundry and large grocery store less 2 miles away.
river access is less 2 miles away.

FYI 50 amp is 240 volts AC.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipe Dream: : an illusory or fantastic plan, hope, or story.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is slightly off topic, but it deals with design issues: make sure that the sewer openings for each site are as low as possible.

We have stayed in a few parks where the sewer opening at the site is several inches above ground level. This makes it hard for the guests to fully drain their waste tanks, leading to an increased chance of spillage.

Yes, the guests can compensate for the bad design by using sewer hose supports (that's what we do), but that means that the RV park owner is gambling on the competence of the guests.

Good luck with this whole project -- I wish you well! There is a huge need for long-term space (especially in the hard-hit Butte County area). What a hard time it has been for you.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

This is slightly off topic, but it deals with design issues: make sure that the sewer openings for each site are as low as possible.

We have stayed in a few parks where the sewer opening at the site is several inches above ground level. This makes it hard for the guests to fully drain their waste tanks, leading to an increased chance of spillage.

Yes, the guests can compensate for the bad design by using sewer hose supports (that's what we do), but that means that the RV park owner is gambling on the competence of the guests.

Good luck with this whole project -- I wish you well! There is a huge need for long-term space (especially in the hard-hit Butte County area). What a hard time it has been for you.
Building and sanitation regulations will require a minimum clearance bove the ground. This is to prevent runoff from infiltrting the sewage treatment system.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Ideal RV space size for new park?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.