Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Green Valve Stem Covers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Green Valve Stem Covers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

Really all a dry nitrogen fill does is eliminate water vapor which can go from gas to liquid and have a bigger pressure change effect. For those us where a few PSI is no big deal, no problem. Could do basically the same thing with plain dry air. All gases obay boyles law for pressure vs. temperature.

You can not get passenger vehicle tires hot enough to transform to vapor... If you did happen to get them that hot, then you have bigger problems.

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh Oh! I purchased a utility trailer this past summer - it had green caps, i adjuste3d air pressure with my garage duty air compressor - am I liable to change those caps to some other color? Not! [emoticon]

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

Mont G&J

Missoula, MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have green caps and nitrogen filled tires. I wish everyone did because it's good for the environment. I have noticed many tires several pounds low on air and that has a direct result in reducing gas mileage which adds to carbon emissions to the atmosphere. This doesn't apply to battery cars though.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mont G&J wrote:

I have green caps and nitrogen filled tires. I wish everyone did because it's good for the environment. I have noticed many tires several pounds low on air and that has a direct result in reducing gas mileage which adds to carbon emissions to the atmosphere. This doesn't apply to battery cars though.

You forgot the “jk” or “lol” with your statement.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

Really all a dry nitrogen fill does is eliminate water vapor which can go from gas to liquid and have a bigger pressure change effect. For those us where a few PSI is no big deal, no problem. Could do basically the same thing with plain dry air. All gases obay boyles law for pressure vs. temperature.

You can not get passenger vehicle tires hot enough to transform to vapor... If you did happen to get them that hot, then you have bigger problems.

All you need is a temperature change. if there is even a few degrees temp change will change the amount of water liquid turning to water vapor or vice versa in an enclosed tire. Water doesn't need to get anywhere near boiling to evaporate and go from liquid to gas.

Every air compressor I've been around ends up with water in the tank even if you drain it almost daily. Follows what one would expect from the physics of air compression. Being a contained system the compressor RH for water vapor is then near 100%. Air going into the tire is at a lower pressure than the tank, hence air cools, lowers the dew point, condenses some amount of water into the tire, but still at or near 100%RH. temp change will then cause water to either condense (temp drop) or evaporate (temp rise) till all the water is a vapor. Messes around with ideal gas behavior,

So unless the tire shop has some form of water removal and drains the tanks often, you will get some amount of water in the tire.

The vapor obeys boyles law, the liquid does not. That affects how temp changes affect tire pressure.

Again, for most consumer applications, it will not make enough difference to be signficant or affect operation.

* This post was edited 12/22/20 11:02pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

TUCQUALA

Kennewick, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So if I put air into my freshly nitrogen-ed tires, will I have 178% nitro in them?? Is that legal?? Inquiring minds need to know!!

Wink, Wink, Wink!!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/20 12:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mont G&J wrote:

Wasting energy producing and distributing useless hydrogen should be considered, if you want to discuss this infinitesimal subject. Your wonderful battery powered car uses the nuclear, hydro, gas, fuel oil and coal fired power plants surrounding me.

TravelinDog

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Pipsfc wrote:

Ok... thought so. Wasn't sure if I had to keep using nitrogen or not, but you answered that question. Air it will be! Thanks!

except you will lose the benifit of what nitrogen does.

if you fill with all nitrogen you will see slightly lower running temps, less pressure loss and it keeps the inside dryer.

Steve

OMG! [emoticon]

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new Toyota pick up has green valves and a few weeks ago the low tire light came on. I checked with my gage and sure enough all four wheels only had 25 PSI. I topped them off with my handy dandy little 12 volt compressor, and they never complained, and the green valves never changed to black, or purple, etc, so I guess all is well.

Guy

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

My new Toyota pick up has green valves and a few weeks ago the low tire light came on. I checked with my gage and sure enough all four wheels only had 25 PSI. I topped them off with my handy dandy little 12 volt compressor, and they never complained, and the green valves never changed to black, or purple, etc, so I guess all is well.

Guy

If I were you I would get those defective green valves replaced. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Green Valve Stem Covers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.