Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Installing a safe?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Installing a safe?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I received a small safe for Christmas for installation in the fifth wheel. This will be used for storing valuables like the I-pad and such while we are out. In forty plus years of camping I have never even come close to needing a firearm but will be keeping one in the safe as I have grown older and it will bolster my comfort level. My questions are where to install the safe.

In full view, hidden or severely hidden?

Super easy access, moderate or hard to get to?

In the bedroom or by the door?

I worry the safe will be a collection point for a thief and he will just have to steal one item. This safe would be easy to get into at a later time. Should I anchor it so that it would inflict major damage to the trailer to remove? Are most RV robberies just in-and-outs and they pick up the easy items and would avoid an anchored safe?

Any comments would be appreciated.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan on using it for a gun to be used as protection, it doesn’t do any good if you make it inaccessible when you need it.

bdpreece

Yuma Arizona / Oregon Traveler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My preference is semi hidden but accessible with strong mounting bolts through steel backing plates. I would rather have damage than lose the contents. My safe is not going anywhere unless you bring a saw and a torch. Gun either stays on me, near me, or in the safe if I choose to leave it behind.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

If you plan on using it for a gun to be used as protection, it doesn’t do any good if you make it inaccessible when you need it.

I agree. We have one that was installed at the factory. It's in the back wall of the closet wouldn't want to store defense weapon in it. I have to remove an armload of clothes to access it.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Are most RV robberies just in-and-outs and they pick up the easy items and would avoid an anchored safe?

Yes would be my answer. It appears what thieves wants are electronics, A/C, etc. Items that are quickly removed. Soft targets.

My RV dealer was hit often until he fenced his property, the thieves would remove TVs, electronics, A/Cs, and be gone.

JimR 1

Custer South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First now every body knows you have a safe, next they know you have a firearm and an iPad. Just saying ???

To answer your question if I had one I would not have it in the open but easy to get to and be able to see to open and yes have it secured.

JimR

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where ever you put it, do a trial mount first. Make sure you can see the key or dial or keypad clearly, and that the safe will open once bolted in.
We carry a small safe as well to store extra cash and passports and other stuff with us. I had the perfect location for it, but I started out by putting it in this "perfect" place and discovered that I couldn't access the key slot to open it and then discovered that even if I could turn the key, I wouldn't be able to open it wide enough to put anything in or get anything out![emoticon]
Now on plan D, I think it is. Still not bolted in, just keeps moving around.[emoticon]

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

navigator2346

Wa and points South

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can't bolt it down to something substantial like the frame, don't worry about it. Having one sitting around makes it easy for me to walk out with one package.

Bob/Olallawa

Kitsap Co, WA/Bullhead City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bolt it into a semi hidden spot and have a smaller fingerprint open type pistol safe near the bed to use when you want it close by.

Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely bolt it down. Many of the small safes are fairly easy to open by physically jostling the entire safe; bolting it down makes that harder. I'd suggest locating it someplace where it's reasonably convenient to access; whether in plain sight or not probably doesn't matter too much, though I would probably not have it directly across from the front door or anything like that.

I installed mine in the base for the bed, in a corner that wasn't taken up with the fresh water tank, water pump, and other RV systems. It's a handy place to keep important papers and chocolate reserved for s'mores and similar valuables. I don't have any delusions that my little safe is at all secure against most any criminal who would really want to get in; but it is sufficient against casual thievery.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Installing a safe?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.