Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next
ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick update on this thread: I finally got around to taking my truck to the scales with a full tank of diesel ('16 F-250 Crew Cab FX4 Powerstroke). Front axle: 4860, rear axle: 3280, total weight, 8140 lbs.

My RAWR is 6100lbs so I am going with payload capacity of 2820lbs, even though Ford's sticker in the door says - 2184lbs.

My total trailer loaded weight: 9270. Since it is a horse trailer with living quarters, I am going with 30% of the weight being on the hitch - which would be 2780lbs. Hence, I feel like I am not overweight. n fact, I am comfortable with replacing the stock 26gal fuel tank with a 50 gal Titan - which would add 192lbs to the equation.

What do y'all think? Thanks!

--
2021 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Cab&Chassis crew cab 4x4 6.6L gas with 9ft4" flatbed
2021 Palomino HS-2902 Max truck camper
2007 Double D all steel 2-horse bumper pull trailer

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me I wouldn't worry about it. In most cases if you throw a set of bags or timbrens on a 3/4 ton you turn it into a same MY SRW 1 ton from a carrying capacity standpoint (provided the tires are also rated for the additional weight). That would effectively give you the higher applicable 1 ton RAWR to work with.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

If it were me I wouldn't worry about it. In most cases if you throw a set of bags or timbrens on a 3/4 ton you turn it into a same MY SRW 1 ton from a carrying capacity standpoint (provided the tires are also rated for the additional weight). That would effectively give you the higher applicable 1 ton RAWR to work with.

I already have a set of super springs on it. I was more concerned with the actual numbers. Thanks!

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

snip...

I already have a set of super springs on it. I was more concerned with the actual numbers. Thanks!

Yes, that will level and not squat as much...but the 'numbers' AKA ratings has embedded things for performance of that 'number'

Mainly braking of the load up to that rating..."numbers"

things like larger dia disc/drum, thicker disc, thicker friction material (therefore wider calipers and most likely larger dia caliper pistons) and even an more hidden component...the front/rear brake line bias valve (if yours has one).

Here is one for my GMT400 Suburban,and assume later models with 4 wheel disc has similar hidden differences

[image]

[image]

Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/Yukon XL are all J or B 5 though 7.

Once into HD's, changes to JB8 and JF9

Most 3/4 ton Suburban's come with JD7's, but if the snow plow option ordered, it begets JB8's and the attendant components. Like larger bore MC, larger bore wheel cylinders and different front/rear brake line bias valve body.

All to stop the rated load to min DOT requirement for that load.

* This post was last edited 04/09/21 03:39pm by BenK *   View edit history

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

ognend wrote:

snip...

Yes, that will level and not squat as much...but the 'numbers' AKA ratings has embedded things for performance of that 'number'

I installed the super springs to prevent squat, I understand they do not add payload capacity to the vehicle - I am not trying to turn a 3/4 ton truck into a 1ton truck [emoticon] . I was trying to get more comfortable with the actual payload numbers. One way to look at it is simply the payload capacity as per manufacturer sticker inside driver door - this is 2184lbs on my truck. The other way (as was explained to me) is to weigh the rear axle of the truck and deduct that from RAWR rating of said axle. This gives me the 2820lbs number. I simply chose the latter as it suits me (haha)

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

don't like the number on the door sticker, you just get to pick a new number? Interesting way of dealing with payload capacity.

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

don't like the number on the door sticker, you just get to pick a new number? Interesting way of dealing with payload capacity.

I picked a different number on the sticker - RAWR minus actual weight of rear axle. I feel that number is the right one. What do you think?

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

philh wrote:

I picked a different number on the sticker - RAWR minus actual weight of rear axle. I feel that number is the right one. What do you think?
I "think" that you do not like Fords number, so you are using one that you came up with.

Why don't you write a letter to Ford Motor Company with all of the pertintnent info (VIN#) and tell them what you posted here?
Tell them why your calculations are better than the ones their engineers came up with.

Then post their response.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1380watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

ognend wrote:

philh wrote:

I "think" that you do not like Fords number, so you are using one that you came up with.

Why don't you write a letter to Ford Motor Company with all of the pertintnent info (VIN#) and tell them what you posted here?
Tell them why your calculations are better than the ones their engineers came up with.

Then post their response.

Of course I don't like the number. However, I would also like to understand how they reached the exact 2184lbs payload capacity number (it is not exactly explained in the owner manual) and why they bothered to publish the 6100 RAWR number on the door sticker if the RAWR number has zero relevance. Do you have the explanation for that one? I am not saying this to argue but at the end of the day, if the payload capacity is the single number to look at, why publish the FAWR and RAWR numbers? Thanks!

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what if your only worry about a new truck was payload. You go to the Ford Dealer and see a 2019 Ford 3500 CC SB Lariat SRW. Payload 3400 lbs. Sitting next to it was a 2019 Ford 3500 CC Long Bed XLT SRW. Payload 3400 lbs. Across the way is a Ram dealer. He’s got a 2020 Ram 3500 CC Long Bed Longhorn. Payload 4150 lbs. Which one do you buy and why? All three are diesels.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.