Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 60a DC-to-DC Charger Powered by 220a Alternator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 60a DC-to-DC Charger Powered by 220a Alternator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otr - check on line for Ford’s upfitter or body builder manuals - I believe the electrical manual is separate from the chassis manual. There should be alternator output information there and/or a phone number to call.
I have a Renogy 40amp DC-DC charger on the project parts shelf. The literature for it states the input draw of the charger can be up to 1.5 times the output (60 amps for a 40 amps out model) and to size wiring accordingly.

Ray on the Love You RV u tube channel installed one and showed current measurements.

This device is connected to the starting battery not directly to the alternator.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

otr - check on line for Ford’s upfitter or body builder manuals - I believe the electrical manual is separate from the chassis manual. There should be alternator output information there and/or a phone number to call.
I have a Renogy 40amp DC-DC charger on the project parts shelf. The literature for it states the input draw of the charger can be up to 1.5 times the output (60 amps for a 40 amps out model) and to size wiring accordingly.

Ray on the Love You RV u tube channel installed one and showed current measurements.

This device is connected to the starting battery not directly to the alternator.
Thanks, noteven! Good to know info. I saw Ray's demo/review of the Renogy dc2dc charger last week. Based on his vid the Renogy would appear to offer a good bit of good value for the money.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Five pages of posts and no one has mentioned this yet. You also could/should consider a larger alternator. Mechman makes SIX phase alternators (normal is three phase) and the six phase has twelve diodes. They have units up to about 370 amps (which would require an increase in the size of the alternator output to vehicle battery cable)

My RAM 2500 has a lowly 160 amp alternator and I am considering installing larger cables, Anderson connector, and DC-DC charger and more/larger batteries, next year. Part of the upgrade will be a Mechman Alternator.

https://www.mechman.com/

The DC=DC chargers, powered by 4 or 6 gauge cables from the vehicles batteries and connected to the trailer by Anderson connectors is becoming common and was pioneered by the Australians for their touring and offroad vehicles. It is a system that works well and eliminates the problems of the usually small power wire to the 7 pin (many vehicles cannot squeeze 10 good amps thru). I think the truck manufacturers installed the power to the 7 pin to charge the small SLA batteries used as emergency braking power on flat bed and cargo trailers and didn't expect to be charging huge banks of batteries in RV's

Charles

* This post was edited 01/16/21 11:20pm by CharlesinGA *

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

01tundra

Middle, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 12/12-18 Victron DC-DC charger outputs around 25A and the draw on the truck side is pushing 30A.

I ran a dedicated 4 AWG circuit since it's approximately 40 ft in length and I was afraid that there could be times when the alternator output dropped such that the input voltage would be below the minimum allowable with the factory 12 AWG charge wire. Victron recommends a minimum of 16 sqmm wire cross sectional area (approx. 5 AWG) for a 32 ft circuit length at 12V.

I used Anderson connectors for between the truck and trailer.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was last edited 01/25/21 11:23am by 01tundra *   View edit history

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 60a DC-to-DC Charger Powered by 220a Alternator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.