Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Converting to 12v fridge Canada question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Converting to 12v fridge Canada question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmckenzie wrote:

Current fridge is 2 way, so I'm thinking the 12v wiring is pretty light.
The owner's manual should recommend wiring size.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI, based on some comments.

There IS such a thing as a compressor refrigerator. It uses a compressor that looks a lot like a standard refrigerator compressor.

The real question is, do you go 12VDC or 120VAC with a pure sine wave inverter ?

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went straight 12V vs 120V and an inverter. Why run the inverter if you don't have to. Yes you can run the 120V fridge on 120V elec hookup while camping. You can run the 12V fridge on 120V as well using the TT's converter.
If the inverter goes out you'll be out of a fridge if dry camping.
Also an inverter draws a small amount of power when running.
I looked at it like using the lights in the trailer. You can use them whether the TT's plugged in or not.

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not convert your fridge using a JC Refrigeration kit? Only issue is you would have to buy it from the US and have it imported, and I don't know what that entails.

We just converted the Norcold in our truck camper and it works great.

[image]

We went with the 120V compressor for slightly faster cooling and because we had plenty of solar/battery to cover the inverter losses, but they make a 12V version. Seems to use 1.1-1.3kWh/day for an 8cu ft unit.

Edit - saw that you are looking to increase the size of your fridge. But this is still useful information for people looking at this thread, so I'll leave it.
Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

* This post was edited 01/17/21 12:43pm by an administrator/moderator *

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn +
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow TC toad) +
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split +
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh +
Parks and generators are last resorts

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

I went straight 12V vs 120V and an inverter. Why run the inverter if you don't have to. Yes you can run the 120V fridge on 120V elec hookup while camping. You can run the 12V fridge on 120V as well using the TT's converter.

Anyone considering changing to a 120VAC refrigerator with a pure sine wave inverter, should consider getting an inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch. It will make your life much easier !

Remove your old converter. Hook the DC distribution (fuse) panel directly to your battery bank. Connect the inverter/charger/transfer switch to the battery bank. All "shore power" (the external power cord) goes directly to the inverter/charger/transfer switch which then feeds all AC outlet in your RV.

You're done ! No switches to change when changing power !! "Top on the line" models have a separate input for your generator and an auto-start output.

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Anyone considering changing to a 120VAC refrigerator with a pure sine wave inverter, should consider getting an inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch. It will make your life much easier !

Remove your old converter. Hook the DC distribution (fuse) panel directly to your battery bank. Connect the inverter/charger/transfer switch to the battery bank. All "shore power" (the external power cord) goes directly to the inverter/charger/transfer switch which then feeds all AC outlet in your RV.

You're done ! No switches to change when changing power !! "Top on the line" models have a separate input for your generator and an auto-start output.

This is what I did when I added the inverter to run the small bar fridge in the outdoor kitchen while travelling. Can keep our food cold outside now and no need to go into the trailer at stops. Works great. Don't even need to think about it since it works automatically.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nova Kool Coquitlam BC Canada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Converting to 12v fridge Canada question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.