Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Traveling in 23 ft trailer with cat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Traveling in 23 ft trailer with cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
1ed

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you do when traveling from Point A to Point B. This guy that adopted us traveled well like I said before from the Campground to home for 3 hours and just slept in the carrier. So, I am concerned about the traveling part and him needing to use the box.

moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traveled three times cross country (9000 miles each trip) and numerous trips to Florida, Smoky Mountains, Maritime Provinces,and many,many local trips of only a few hundred miles with our Siamese cat Pogo. The first trip was in a B+ motor home while most of the others were in a truck camper. He always had access to food, water and his litter box. He spent the majority of his time sleeping. Occasionally I would see him sitting and looking out the back door or a side window. He never caused any damage nor was he ever any trouble. He would scream like mad when being carried to or from the camper,before and after trips, but never showed any interest in being outside. He was very mellow.
His replacement, after eighteen years, is a Siamese named Tonto. We haven’t attempted traveling yet, due to Covid, but it should be interesting. Where Pogo was mellow,Tonto is anything but mellow. Pogo was a floor or lap cat. Tonto is a lap, off the wall, highest accessible point cat. He is very calm all night while we are sleeping but makes up for it the other sixteen hours. Perhaps his youth and my old age are not quite the ideal match, but I’m sure that we will both get older and more mellow together.

1ed

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Chevy Extended Cab and I am wondering what to do with a litter box. Not sure if I need one or not but otherwise he would make a mess in his carrier. I have seen those carriers that have the litter box on the bottom but looking for input on suggestions. Thanks Ed

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel in a MH so not sure our experience is applicable. We stopped frequently enough for the dogs (and me) that it was easy to pull out the litter box that we kept in the shower and allowed Henry the opportunity to use it.

If you have a large enough carrier to include a litter box, that would work. Another option is to stop and allow your cat out of the carrier to use a litter box during the stop.

A couple of times we have seen a cat escape from a car at a rest stop. The precautions you need to take depend a lot on the behavior of the cat.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

donut dave

Burnett WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allie Cat goes camping whenever we go since she was 8 weeks old. She seems to sort of forget over the winter. So we take her out to the trailer for an hour or so at least twice before our first excursion in the spring. We will also drive her around in the truck for maybe half an hour a couple of times as well.
Our camping procedure is: put her in her carrier and take out to the truck. After we are on the road 10 minutes or so we will open up her carrier which is on the seat in the quad cab. She usually comes out right away and sits between us on the console on one of her blankets. The litter box, food, water are available on the floor but i can't remember her doing any of that while driving. If we stop for more than 10 or 15 minutes the whole set-up is transferred to the trailer. It is kind of a hassle but we want her with us rather than at home like we did with our previous cats, Kitty and Puddy Tat.
Oh, one other thing for traveling. When she senses that we are stopping for gas etc. she will go into her carrier on her own. Once and a while she will get fooled at a traffic light and go in and it we always laugh about that.

1ed

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donut Dave,
That is exactly what I. Was looking for. And thanks for all the other replies.

1ed

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great info. Now I am wondering what you do with cat once you arrive at campground. I have been looking at those portable cages etc. also I like the leash idea. I would not want to walk the cat around the church but would like to have him outside during the day.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For litter, I can recommend the Petsafe Scoopfree. I get it on Amazon. For my two large cats, I use one bag a week. Just fill the box with the bag and over the course of the week, I just scoop out the poop (I use a doggie poop bag to dispose it). At the end of the week, I dump it all and refill with a new bag. It absorbs the pee and eliminates the ammonia smell. And since each bag is good for a box fill, there is no open bag lying around to spill while moving around.

I also feed canned both morning and night. That gets them accustomed to the sound of the can opening and knowing it's feeding time. That can help entice a cat back home or out of hiding.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Traveling in 23 ft trailer with cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.