Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Getting back to a RV now as an empty nester
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Getting back to a RV now as an empty nester

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
CampinHappy

Odessa, Texas (west Texas)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't been on the forums in a while since we sold our trailer about 3 years ago. The wifey and I are now wanting to get back into RV'ing without our 3 man-cubs who have basically flown the proverbial coop. Having been through the ranks of a pop-up for 5 years with the littles, a 35 foot KZ with our 3 sons for 10 years, it's now time for a trailer for the two of us, and maybe some grandkids in a few years (no hurry on that). We spent 4 hours today looking at Outbacks, Bullets, and some Montana 5th wheels at a local dealer, but think we got close but not a bullseye on the best one for us. Here's what we're looking for in our next RV:

• Lots of windows for the wifey, kind of almost like we had in the pop-up, but knowing a hard side has to have a kitchen
  • Couch and or recliners, free standing table&chairs a must
  • Not a monster, I'd like to keep it shorter since we want to dry camp sometimes up off of forest service roads
  • TV/fake Fireplace - Not necessary
  • Out side kitchens would be nice
  • Full size Queen or King bed

If you have a model that has windows where you can sit and see out more than the average RV, and not necessarily a basic model, I would appreciate your recommendations.

Shalom'

* This post was edited 01/23/21 06:32pm by CampinHappy *

CampinHappy
West Texas Region
2021 Premier 29RK, 2017 F-150 pulling it fine
Former covered wagons include:

2007 K-Z Spree 240 BH with triple bunks for my 3 amigos
Formerly a 99 Coleman Niagara PUP
wife version 1.0 (so far ">) 4 boys who have flown the coop ">

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CampinHappy wrote:

Haven't been on the forums in a while since we sold our trailer about 3 years ago. The wifey and I are now wanting to get back into RV'ing without our 3 man-cubs who have basically flown the proverbial coop. Having been through the ranks of a pop-up for 5 years with the littles, a 35 foot KZ with our 3 sons for 10 years, it's now time for a trailer for the two of us, and maybe some grandkids in a few years (no hurry on that). We spent 4 hours today looking at Outbacks, Bullets, and some Montana 5th wheels at a local dealer, but think we got close but not a bullseye on the best one for us. Here's what we're looking for in our next RV:

• Lots of windows for the wifey, kind of almost like we had in the pop-up, but knowing a hard side has to have a kitchen
  • Couch and or recliners, free standing table&chairs a must
  • Not a monster, I'd like to keep it shorter since we want to dry camp sometimes up off of forest service roads
  • TV/fake Fireplace - Not necessary
  • Out side kitchens would be nice
  • Full size Queen or King bed

If you have a model that has windows where you can sit and see out more than the average RV, and not necessarily a basic model, I would appreciate your recommendations.

Shalom'

Look up Lance trailers. Good quality .well built and with choices of smaller sizes, i.e. 18',20'24'.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are just about empty nesters, and are thinking of selling our bunkhouse and going to more of a couples trailer. We saw a Jayco 321RSTS, and really liked it. Lots of windows, and open and airy on the inside. It’s a 5thwheel, but on the smaller side.
We had a pop up for 9 years before our bunkhouse TT, and really miss the windows.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 12:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what your definition of monster is. Forest River RV Wildcat 298RLS is <35' long, has an outdoor kitchen, has both couch and recliners, free standing table, full queen (I think), decent tanks, and the TV is on a televator so just leave it down if you don't want it, you can look out the big windows behind where it normally goes =)

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

CampinHappy

Odessa, Texas (west Texas)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 03:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel - I looked at several models today with similar floorplans like the 298RLS and we liked them, but even when I look up this one I don't see the TV on the televator due to the outside kitchen. If there was some way that they could have the outside kitchen AND a view there, it would be perfect. I even told the wifey that I could put a camera outside on that angle and show the image on the TV.

Also since I've never had a 5th wheel, I was wondering how it would pull off road, not like rough rocky stuff, but on some forest service roads, gravel and caliche', nothing horrible?

Thanks1

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fifth wheel will tow just as well as a TT, for off pavement use. You will need to have a minimum of 6"s bed rail clearance, and 7-8 even better. The description forest, brings up the height issue of most FWs. Most will be at least 12' tall, and tree branches will make travel on forest service roads a challenge.

Most FWs have lots of big windows, and the ceilings are higher, giving a spacious feel. Lots of options, starting about 30' in total length.

Jerry

Old Trucker

Beautiful So. Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to look at Outdoors RV line, with off road package

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campinhappy, I apologise, the layout picture shows a window behind the TV and says it is flip up but that does not appear to be how they are actually built. I wonder if it was a planned feature and the dropped it due to Covid supplier shortages or just realized it would be too hard to build at that price point. Grand Design 310GK does for sure have the televator. The pull out kitchen might or might not meet your needs.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife and I are empty nesters as well but the desire to camp continues.
We wanted a trailer that had plenty of windows and not to exceed 30 feet but comfortable enough to spend weeks at a time in.

We went to several RV shows and walked in over 100 units over a spand of 6 months.....we walked into a 2020 Outback 252urs and placed an order.

That was a year ago and no regrets whatsoever.
Hope you find something that you both enjoy.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are also without rug rats. We had a bunk house in case the grandkids wanted to go along but sold it after one trip because it did not have a full time bed and it was like a cave with a shortage of windows.
We looked at many TT before we found our Viking 17RD. We wanted a shorter TT because we own a good sized property with limited parking due to a stream and steep hills. Our Viking has a full length Queen, lots of windows by the dinette and it is big enough for our usage. We travel of 4 weeks at a time at least twice a year. Before getting married, I traveled by motorcycle for over 15 years so any TT seems like a mansion to me.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Getting back to a RV now as an empty nester
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.