Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Travel Trailers for large families
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailers for large families

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
pattinsoldier

Abingdon

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking to purchase our first travel trailer. We've been tent campers our entire lives, but we now have 6 kids and are looking to make camping a bit easier for us. We would like a travel trailer that sleeps at least 8 and a max weight of 6,000 pounds. We are currently considering the Jayco 267BHS and the Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L. We are a little overwhelmed with all the options! Which of these TTs would you choose and why? Are there any others that we should consider? We would really appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Edited to add: We will be towing with a Nissan NV 3500, which has max tow weight of 8700 lbs.

* This post was edited 01/24/21 11:40am by pattinsoldier *

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the past some have suggested considering a smaller camper with a tent for the overflow.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small camper for adults and showers/cooking. Large tent for kids. This way you can use a van to tow. A van will not tow a large TT without burning up the transmission. I know because have done it in both a Ford and a Chevy van.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lwiddis

Death Valley NP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Jayco’s payload is only 1160 pounds. With water, batteries, propane and stuff for eight people you’ll be tooooo heavy. Drop this trailer from consideration.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2021-jay-flight-slx-8/267bhs/

The Wolf has 1800 pounds capacity. Both will be heavier than your 6000 pound wish.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 30' plus TT is a tall order for any van, wheelbase and passenger tires will make towing somewhat less desirable than most would anticipate. You will need a high quality WD/SC hitch, possibly a Propride or Hensley to tame that size of a TT at highway/interstate speeds.

Don't have any comments on the floorplan, that is a personal choice, spend as much time in each at the dealer without saleperson, try and simulate the way you plan to use it. Most brands have similar floorplans available, keep in mind all brands slap these units together as fast as humanly possible.

As such, choosing a dealer that has a good service record is paramount for warranty issues. Options are something that you have to decide on your own, higher trim levels have many options included already. Dealer will have many upsells of their own as well, this is pure profit for them.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the youngest of 10, we had a 28ft TT towed by a full size van. Give consideration to a tent or possibly have the seats in the van set up so some of the kids can sleep in the van. Depending on age, kids can sleep in areas I would never consider as an adult.

If you want them all sleeping in the trailer, expect to do a lot of set up and tear down of the beds to make it livable during the day as you will likely need to convert the couch and dinette every day.

Probably OK on payload but check it. 8 people with an average of 150lb is 1200lb of people, plus hitch weight plus anything else in the van (not sure if bench seats are counted in the door panel payload. Also watch the trailer payload closely, a lot of people can translate to a lot of payload.

I'm not familiar with the Nissan model but full size rear wheel drive vans are perfectly fine for towing. If you stay in the ratings, no reason to expect the transmission to blow up and 375hp is way more than my Dad's vans ever had back in the 70-80's.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, what are the ages/sizes of your kids? Do they do well sharing beds? A lot of RV bunks base their claimed "sleeps number" on shared double bunks. My little rug rats wouldn't be able to control themselves enough to share a bed. There would be far too much pushing and giggling and playing around.

Both those campers are similar. My issue is that the jackknife sofa will likely block access to the bathroom for the front bed. That makes it a deal breaker in my mind.

If you have 2 or 3 kids that are old enough to sleep in a tent alone, I would agree that a tent for them and RV for the rest might be the best solution. Even a nice popup or hybrid camper for the oldest and youngest campers would be nice. Those are plenty light, but offer good sleeping options and bathrooms.

Something like this one could work out, https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/rockwood-roo/233S/3842.

3 Queen beds, jack knife sofa and dinette that folds down. Weighs 5000 lbs, GVW around 6500 lbs.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, you are probably going to need a bigger tow vehicle.

Second, get a true "bunkhouse", 4 beds in the rear. Your kids will out grow those double bunks in a couple of years. No outside kitchen !

pattinsoldier

Abingdon

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the help. Our kids are 17, 15, 13, 10, 6, and 1. The total weight of the family is less than 1000 lbs. The Nissan NV 3500 is basically a Nissan Titan pickup, it has a V8 and heavy duty transmission. We were assuming the empty weight to be under 6000 as with 1000 of people we would have 1700 of stuff we could pack. We estimated with water, bikes, and baggage we would be something like 1500 lbs of additional weight. Some of the kids could definitely sleep in tents but we were looking to avoid this as being necessary. We have looked at the floor plans in question and everyone would fit. The 17 YO is about 6 ft tall, but each one has a place for him. We will look at the Roo.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the payload on the NV3500? Subtract the people and gear in the Nissan and what you have left is available for tongue weight of the trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailers for large families
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.