Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Travel Trailers for large families
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailers for large families

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the Roo, or something similar, would be a good option for you. Bring a pack-n-play for the 1 year old and you can set that up in front of the couch in the one I sent you. That leaves plenty of room to get around it in the middle of the night. Our youngest just turned 2 this month and we are about to outgrow the p-n-p. We actually take our dinette table out and put the p-n-p there and hang a dark sheet around it so its dark enough for nap time and dark enough so when the big kids or parents are wandering around at bed time we don't disrupt her.

After this Florida trip next month we will transition the 2 year old to the lowest bunk bed in our bunk room. Our 6 year boy will move up to one of the upper bunks and our 8 year old daughter is already on the other upper bunk. But... we will have our living room and table back!!!

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

What is the payload on the NV3500? Subtract the people and gear in the Nissan and what you have left is available for tongue weight of the trailer.

NV3500 passenger with v8 standard payload is 2,500 pounds, they're probably fine with 1,000 of people and 1,000 of tongue weight plus some cargo.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

pattinsoldier

Abingdon

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 03:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

What is the payload on the NV3500? Subtract the people and gear in the Nissan and what you have left is available for tongue weight of the trailer.

8700 lbs we are figuring 1000 in people and 500 of gear in the van. So it would be:

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pattinsoldier wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

8700 lbs we are figuring 1000 in people and 500 of gear in the van. So it would be:

Your confusing tow rating with payload. See afidel post.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are multiple ratings you need to watch.
- Tow rating is how much the engine can pull.
- But often, the truck payload will run out before you hit the max tow rating.

If you have 2500lb truck payload (seems low for a 1 ton rating):
- 1000lb of people count against it.
- 100lb for the hitch counts against it.
- 6000lb trailer should have around 800lb hitch weight which will count against it.
- Any other cargo in the truck counts against it.
- Any bolt on items (like running boards and roof racks) count against it. Not sure if the seats are considered add ons as full size vans can be ordered without them.

It appears you are looking at empty weights if you think these are 6000lb trailers...no one travels with an empty trailer. Look at GVWR for a more realistic idea of what you can expect to pull:

Looked up the Jayco...That's a 7000lb GVWR trailer with only 1160lb of payload (in the trailer)...that's going add another 100-150lb to the hitch weight and you will probably have to move more cargo to the van to keep the trailer within ratings

The alpha wolf is better on cargo (1800lb) but weighs in at 7600lb loaded, so figure a hitch weight up around 1000lb.

PS: ignore the hitch weights listed in the brochures...they are for empty trailers. Take 12-15% of the GVWR as a good estimate. By the time you get below 10%, you typically wind up with an unstable towing trailer.

With a couple of teenagers, if they are reasonably trustable, I would put them in the van for sleeping. They will probably prefer it anyway.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6k dry is a good target. Honestly, I do not have any issue recommend 7k dry with the NV3500. Engine/trans are strong. Plenty of payload. Keep in mind that children grow and gain weight, but I doubt you'll notice a different from one Fall to the following Spring for towing.

As you shop, role play how you will use the RV. Narrow down the floorplan first. Then, you can usually find 10 other brands with similar model.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

A van will not tow a large TT without burning up the transmission. I know because have done it in both a Ford and a Chevy van.

That's a pretty broad statement. How much do you know about vehicles, and how long ago was your experience?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pattinsoldier wrote:

Thank you all for the help. Our kids are 17, 15, 13, 10, 6, and 1. The total weight of the family is less than 1000 lbs. The Nissan NV 3500 is basically a Nissan Titan pickup, it has a V8 and heavy duty transmission.

My daughter's family has a Expedition which has a slightly higher towing capacity. 4 kids under 12. They are right at the limit towing a similar TT.

pattinsoldier wrote:

Some of the kids could definitely sleep in tents but we were looking to avoid this as being necessary. We have looked at the floor plans in question and everyone would fit. The 17 YO is about 6 ft tall, but each one has a place for him.

Those double bunks are ridiculously small. No 6' teenager will fit in one unless they curl up.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pattinsoldier wrote:

...we now have 6 kids and are looking to make camping a bit easier for us. We would like a travel trailer that sleeps at least 8...

It is going to be a challenge. With just myself and my girlfriend in our 27' TT, our stuff gets all over the place. Jackets, shoes, electronics, and other gear. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

pattinsoldier wrote:

...we now have 6 kids and are looking to make camping a bit easier for us. We would like a travel trailer that sleeps at least 8...

It is going to be a challenge. With just myself and my girlfriend in our 27' TT, our stuff gets all over the place. Jackets, shoes, electronics, and other gear. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

It's all relative, we did 5 people for 3 weeks in an 18' trailer, coming from a tent camping background it still felt luxurious by comparison.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailers for large families
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.