Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Travel Trailers for large families
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Travel Trailers for large families

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
afidel

Cleveland

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2016

View Profile


Online
Posted: 01/25/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

pattinsoldier wrote:

Thank you all for the help. Our kids are 17, 15, 13, 10, 6, and 1. The total weight of the family is less than 1000 lbs. The Nissan NV 3500 is basically a Nissan Titan pickup, it has a V8 and heavy duty transmission.

My daughter's family has a Expedition which has a slightly higher towing capacity. 4 kids under 12. They are right at the limit towing a similar TT.

pattinsoldier wrote:

Some of the kids could definitely sleep in tents but we were looking to avoid this as being necessary. We have looked at the floor plans in question and everyone would fit. The 17 YO is about 6 ft tall, but each one has a place for him.

Those double bunks are ridiculously small. No 6' teenager will fit in one unless they curl up.

The Jayco bunks are 6' 4", plenty for a 6' tall kid. They're actually longer than the typical RV Queen mattress.


2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH


rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/20/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/26/21 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pattinsoldier wrote:

Thank you all for the help. Our kids are 17, 15, 13, 10, 6, and 1. The total weight of the family is less than 1000 lbs. The Nissan NV 3500 is basically a Nissan Titan pickup, it has a V8 and heavy duty transmission. We were assuming the empty weight to be under 6000 as with 1000 of people we would have 1700 of stuff we could pack. We estimated with water, bikes, and baggage we would be something like 1500 lbs of additional weight. Some of the kids could definitely sleep in tents but we were looking to avoid this as being necessary. We have looked at the floor plans in question and everyone would fit. The 17 YO is about 6 ft tall, but each one has a place for him. We will look at the Roo.


Your NV3500 van is actually quite a bit stouter than a Nissan Titan pickup. The posters advising you to get a bigger tow vehicle probably don't realize that the NV3500 is a heavy duty commercial van with 8 lug wheels and a RGAWR of just over 6000 lbs. So it's every bit a capable as a 2500 series Suburban or other comparable vehicle. While it's not a diesel crew cab dually pickup, it should be a better tow vehicle than virtually any new SUV on the market, and a great choice for your family and trailer.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/27/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

A van will not tow a large TT without burning up the transmission.


Bumping up the transmission... ???
What exactly does that mean?


2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/27/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look for something that can sleep the younger kids and yourself for now, and get a tent with cots for the older three . I know when I was old enought to be out in the tent I much prefered that than being in the camper.

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

Senior Member

Joined: 10/13/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/27/21 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

TenOC wrote:

A van will not tow a large TT without burning up the transmission.


Bumping up the transmission... ???
What exactly does that mean?


"Burning" not "Bumping"


There is something special about camping in an RV.
.


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/27/21 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:


It's all relative, we did 5 people for 3 weeks in an 18' trailer, coming from a tent camping background it still felt luxurious by comparison.


You understand, but,
Some people, and mostly the crowd here who may have already forgotten what they did when they had little kids or when they were a kid, can't see past their own "preferences".
You're not going to have an un-crowded camper, vehicle, house, life with 6 kids. Pretty sure the OP's know that, made that choice, love their kids and now also want to go RVing.

There is zero issues with what they're planning to do.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/27/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:



Your NV3500 van is actually quite a bit stouter than a Nissan Titan pickup. The posters advising you to get a bigger tow vehicle probably don't realize that the NV3500 is a heavy duty commercial van with 8 lug wheels and a RGAWR of just over 6000 lbs. So it's every bit a capable as a 2500 series Suburban or other comparable vehicle. While it's not a diesel crew cab dually pickup, it should be a better tow vehicle than virtually any new SUV on the market, and a great choice for your family and trailer.


^ What he said!
Disregard the other fodder about your van pattinsoldier.
You are in the land of many uninformed opinions. Proceed as such and get that camper ready for spring time!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 01/27/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

rjstractor wrote:



Your NV3500 van is actually quite a bit stouter than a Nissan Titan pickup. The posters advising you to get a bigger tow vehicle probably don't realize that the NV3500 is a heavy duty commercial van with 8 lug wheels and a RGAWR of just over 6000 lbs. So it's every bit a capable as a 2500 series Suburban or other comparable vehicle. While it's not a diesel crew cab dually pickup, it should be a better tow vehicle than virtually any new SUV on the market, and a great choice for your family and trailer.


^ What he said!
Disregard the other fodder about your van pattinsoldier.
You are in the land of many uninformed opinions. Proceed as such and get that camper ready for spring time!
As long as your in the parameters of the Nissan capacity I would say go for it as well and enjoy making memories with your family.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Travel Trailers for large families
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.