Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Mattresses
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Mattresses

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
juliadavid

USA

New Member

Joined: 02/16/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/16/21 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have memory foam in my RV.

cpaulsen

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 02/18/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/16/21 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our other 5th wheel......had a queen and we replaced with a Serta i Comfort......and was great.........then bought a new 5th wheel with a king bed........and first thing we did was abought a new king i Comfort.....has worked perfect for us.


cpaulsen


DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

Senior Member

Joined: 10/13/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

YES but at least they are cheap.

I'd rather my RV cost $500 more than sleep on the @#[email protected]#$ mattress that came with it.


There is something special about camping in an RV.
.


mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/05/21 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't stand memory foam type mattresses. I'm another that prefers a quality spring or spring hybrid. I replaced the cheap horrible mattress in our RV with one from a local manufacture. They made a short queen hybrid (spring/foam) which is very comfortable. Much better.


2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/21 12:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mattress we've had in our TC for 10-11yrs is also our guest room mattress. I fold it and bring it in after each trip. It's a 4" thick, firm 100% latex rubber (Not "contains" real latex, but it's an actual real latex foam- very important distinction). It was $129cdn from IKEA!!!!! Queen size. Blood amazing! Firm but not too firm. I never create a crater in it that my wife would roll into. Warm(with foam board under the mattress)
If the mattress is S**t in the new camper, I'll put the good old IKEA one in there.
Likely one could find one somewhere. IKEA doesn't sell this particular one anymore, but they have others if you're looking for a good mattress at a cheap price.


"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.


JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/07/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

Can't stand memory foam type mattresses. I'm another that prefers a quality spring or spring hybrid. .....


I certainly agree on disliking memory foam mattresses. There is nothing worse than the expensive TempurPedic brand which many stores feature because of the high cost and profits. The old fashioned memory foam like the TempurPedic has poor support. After a few minutes your body sinks into the mattress and creates a deep impression. I sleep on my side and move a few times during the night. That is nearly impossible if you sink into a hole. The TP mattress is also hot and does not breathe.

That said I still love my foam mattresses. They are made with a relatively thick and firm base layer and a thinner upper layer of softer foam. They are also made of newer style foams that are not hot and breathe. I will never buy another mattress with springs or a mattress sitting on a spring base. Quality models start out Ok but all of them sag within the first year or two of use. They all have foam toppers so again the comfort depends on the choice of foam materials.

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/07/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

That said I still love my foam mattresses. They are made with a relatively thick and firm base layer and a thinner upper layer of softer foam. They are also made of newer style foams that are not hot and breathe. I will never buy another mattress with springs or a mattress sitting on a spring base. Quality models start out Ok but all of them sag within the first year or two of use. They all have foam toppers so again the comfort depends on the choice of foam materials.


I have not found any foam mattresses that are as comfortable as a quality spring mattress. As for sagging, I found the opposite. My older spring mattresses still have zero sag. Can't say the same for older foam I've had. In my RV I have a hybrid. It's foam layers on top 1/2 and springs in the bottom. Far better support that 100% foam. Time will tell if it sags. I've had it 1 year and no sag so far.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

That said I still love my foam mattresses. They are made with a relatively thick and firm base layer and a thinner upper layer of softer foam. They are also made of newer style foams that are not hot and breathe. I will never buy another mattress with springs or a mattress sitting on a spring base. Quality models start out Ok but all of them sag within the first year or two of use. They all have foam toppers so again the comfort depends on the choice of foam materials.


I have not found any foam mattresses that are as comfortable as a quality spring mattress. As for sagging, I found the opposite. My older spring mattresses still have zero sag. Can't say the same for older foam I've had. In my RV I have a hybrid. It's foam layers on top 1/2 and springs in the bottom. Far better support that 100% foam. Time will tell if it sags. I've had it 1 year and no sag so far.


Definitely depends on the type and quality of the foam. A lot of foam these days is garbage. Plus different shape/weight peoples needs are different. This I also found with foam is there's no movement transferred to the other persons side. Big bonus for my wife as I'm a spinner and double her weight.

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/07/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is also very easy to buy quality foam in different densities. There are plenty of online dealers. It is easy to build your own mattress by buying the correct depth and density of foams for the base and top layers. The downside is you need to trust the dealer recommendations.

mwachel

UT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/13/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/10/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just use an Amazon basics 10" mattress and it is just as comfy as our bed at home. ??


Mike
Salty Vet Adventures YouTube

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Mattresses
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.