Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jump box for dual battery 7.3 diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Jump box for dual battery 7.3 diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

Should camper batteries be used for engine starting? I have understood that deep-cycle batteries are not designed to deliver that kind of high amperage. Would engine starting harm camper batteries, or not?

Once, probably not. You don't want to subject them to an extremely long crank time.

* This post was edited 02/28/21 09:42pm by theoldwizard1 *

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry 2 of the small lithium battery jumper packs. On my 06 GMC, the batteries died when my wife had the truck. I was in the midst of a breakdown repair at work so couldn't leave right away, so she called CAA. The repair didn't take as long as I thought and I arrived 2 minutes after the CAA booster service. His booster pack wouldn't start the Duramax, so I put my big old booster pack on the second truck battery and it started right up.
This experience caused her to want to carry booster batteries for our travels. A major Canadian retailer suggests that their battery packs can start up a 6 liter diesel, so using that and my experience, I opted for 2 of the larger sized lithium packs from Amazon.
So far I have not had to boost my truck. But the lawn tractor, the Honda scooter and somebody elses' truck in a campground in Newfoundland have all been easy starts for just one of the packs.

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

Should camper batteries be used for engine starting? I have understood that deep-cycle batteries are not designed to deliver that kind of high amperage. Would engine starting harm camper batteries, or not?

"There are times I almost think
I am not sure of what I absolutely know."
(The King and I)

Not unless they are discharged too low. I have sufficient batteries and sized cabling that I could do mild welding with them.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/21 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry the NOCO GB70. Have not used it.

I would have no issue using my trailer deep cycle batteries to jump start a vehicle.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I would have no issue using my trailer deep cycle batteries to jump start a vehicle.

Except pulling and re-installing 4 batteries twice is at best an inconvenience. At worst impossible either due to ability or battery fitment.
And depends on conditions. Cold weather, may take both batteries (especially in a 7.3 Powerstroke. Those things are cold blooded). Warm weather, 1 good battery will light off a diesel pickup no problem.
Using camper batteries imo is a last resort type of thing, if they even work.

For the “I bought _____ booster. It should start my rig, haven’t tried it though” folks.
If you’re actually concerned about getting your vehicle started at an in opportune moment, unhooking the battery(s) and testing the jump pack is super easy.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2¢ !

Just because you buy a name brand jump box and pay a lot of money for it does NOT mean it is the best value ! NOCO has a good reputation, but not everyone is happy with theirs !!

The opposite CAN be true ! I have great respect for the author of this video and value his opinion New KING of Jump Starters ?

TrekPow TJ2500 18000mAh Portable Jumper Box(Up to 9.0L Gas/8.0L Diesel Engine

I couple of features I really like

• decent carrying case
• waterproof (with the covers installed)
• built in flashlight
• built in USB charger/powerbank (USB-A and USB-C)
• recharges via provided standard "phone charger" (including ones that plugs into a cigarette lighter( via the provide USB-A to USB-C cord.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Except pulling and re-installing 4 batteries twice is at best an inconvenience. At worst impossible either due to ability or battery fitment.
And depends on conditions. Cold weather, may take both batteries (especially in a 7.3 Powerstroke. Those things are cold blooded). Warm weather, 1 good battery will light off a diesel pickup no problem.

For the “I bought _____ booster. It should start my rig, haven’t tried it though” folks.
If you’re actually concerned about getting your vehicle started at an in opportune moment, unhooking the battery(s) and testing the jump pack is super easy.

The 2 regular AGM's in my truck are 1000 cca each the 2 lifelines in my camper are rated at 880 each and the posts are the same so they should to the trick in a pinch

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

For using my trailer batteries it would be with jump cables not a battery swap.

The booster is not just for my use but anyone else that shows a need. Might be a buddy at work or a motorist at the grocery.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

For using my trailer batteries it would be with jump cables not a battery swap.

Try that out. If you have dead truck batteries, it is doubtful a set of jumper cables from a single deep cycle battery would light it off. And that's IF the truck happens to go dead within reach of the camper battery or you can bring the battery to the truck. Maaaybe, both deep cycles and 2 jumper cables. But again, it's a last ditch effort, IMO and not a universal solution.

I mean, batteries don't usually die in the most opportune setting.
But, with a few options for different situations on board, you could reasonably cover most all scenarios. With RV batteries being one less certain possibility depending on the situation.
Of course jump packs aren't a 100% certainty either. It's situational. Best defense is a good offense and eliminate as many potential reasons that you'd have dead batteries in the fist place.

timdan94

pa

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the JNC 770B and it jumped my 6.6 duramax with no issues when It was below zero. I had one battery that was bad.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Jump box for dual battery 7.3 diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.