Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Underframe Storage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Underframe Storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
dryfly

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/04/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

dryfly wrote:

My previous trailer had the spare up front under the trailer. It was well supported and I was able to add "safety" chains around it and attach to the frame.

My big concern with a front mounted spare is if it ever came loose. The damage as it bounced it's way to exit in the rear could be catastrophic. The retractable hangers used to hold the spare up that are on most trailers are pretty flimsy.


Let me see if I understand what you are saying. Your spare, mounted on front, comes loose, it will bounce around destroying your property. But if it is mounted on rear, your property is safe. The death and destruction that likely will happen behind you is not important?


Wow.........you had to really hunt to come up with that conclusion. We are talking about the location of a spare tire here, and not necessarily from the standpoint of highway safety concerns. If we approach every topic on this forum with the premise that it primarily should relate solely to the safety of others, it's going to get pretty complicated.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/21 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:



My big concern with a front mounted spare is if it ever came loose. The damage as it bounced it's way to exit in the rear could be catastrophic. The retractable hangers used to hold the spare up that are on most trailers are pretty flimsy.




Quote:

Wow.........you had to really hunt to come up with that conclusion. We are talking about the location of a spare tire here, and not necessarily from the standpoint of highway safety concerns. If we approach every topic on this forum with the premise that it primarily should relate solely to the safety of others, it's going to get pretty complicated.


Sorry if I offended you. But no matter how many times I read that statement I see somebody that is worried about property damage to their property if a spare comes loose. I have seen real disasters where others people where put at serious risk from stuff falling off vehicles.
IMHO, damage to your trailer don't amount to a pinch of snot, if it is you that dropped things. If that chance of damage makes you prefer a rear mount...

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/05/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I interpret the above to say the add-on underbody mounts (aftermarket?) are more flimsy than the rear bumper spare tire mounts (factory), and nothing to do with an attitude of "don't give a rip about anyone behind me, as long as my stuff is not hurt" ...


'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

dryfly

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

dryfly wrote:



My big concern with a front mounted spare is if it ever came loose. The damage as it bounced it's way to exit in the rear could be catastrophic. The retractable hangers used to hold the spare up that are on most trailers are pretty flimsy.




Quote:

Wow.........you had to really hunt to come up with that conclusion. We are talking about the location of a spare tire here, and not necessarily from the standpoint of highway safety concerns. If we approach every topic on this forum with the premise that it primarily should relate solely to the safety of others, it's going to get pretty complicated.


Sorry if I offended you. But no matter how many times I read that statement I see somebody that is worried about property damage to their property if a spare comes loose. I have seen real disasters where others people where put at serious risk from stuff falling off vehicles.
IMHO, damage to your trailer don't amount to a pinch of snot, if it is you that dropped things. If that chance of damage makes you prefer a rear mount...


No offense taken. I'm just a little amazed that the aspect of highway safety would not be "implied" in any post on this forum.

If you read my post again, I hope it's obvious that my "big concern" is front mounted vs. rear mounted spare tire brackets. I was not addressing the consequences of what happens once the wheel leaves the trailer. that is another issue, and I'm sure it's of concern to anyone pulling a trailer.

In any post dealing with how often should one perform bearing maintenance, or asking if a rear trailer hitch will support a bike rack, or if a ladder can be carried on the back of trailer, etc., the highway safety factor is always implied, and does not have to be stated.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Underframe Storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.