Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Any software devs, working from their RV?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Any software devs, working from their RV?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
paries

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,
I am a software dev, and looking at doing the fulltime RV thing.

I have a lot of questions.

Is this is a possible thing with the current mobile internet offerings. (PLEASE Starlink hurry)

So with my current work flow, i need to remotely connect to databases and AWS , and linux servers

Is anyone on this list doing something like this in their RV?

What has been your experience. Is this possible? What equipment are you using?

Thanks for any help/Information

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Research here:

RVMobileInternet.com

They are the gurus.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

paries

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rob, thanks

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I'm pretty much the sole Oracle DBA for my group, I've been doing this for years and my vacations in the RV always ended up being working vacations. Sometimes an "urgent request" might have to wait until the fish aren't biting and I make it back to shore again, but they know that.

I VPNed into the company network, then RDPed onto my office desktop, then reached out to everywhere I needed to be from there. Before picking a destination I checked reported cellular coverage and used my company phone on AT&T as a hotspot. One of my favorite campgrounds has absolutely ZERO cell service. I reserve that one when I really REALLY need to be left alone! [emoticon]

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much data do you have to move and how fast do you have to move it?

If you don't need rocket fast speeds and it's a couple dozen GB per month total...very much doable.

If you need rocket fast with low latency and move terabytes per month...not so much.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there are many out there that do full or part-time work while RV'ing. I've learned to never rely on free campground Wifi, except that parks that have paid Wifi. I haven't found any free campground Wifi with internet service as good as I can get via cell -- I use a Wifi repeater and even when I have perfect Wifi signal, the campground Wifi is usually so oversubscribed that it's nearly useless for any interactive work.

When I'm on-call and know I have to be online, I check campground reviews to make sure cell coverage is good. I have an unlimited AT&T SIM, and in the summer when I'm traveling more, I also set up a pre-paid 16GB plan from Verizon in case AT&T isn't available.

Don't count on Starlink for the next year or so, I haven't seen any announcement for when (or even if) they will provide mobile service. Maybe when they get more satellites launched they'll allow mobile use, but for now, service is locked to a single cell (which is around 15 miles wide).

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a business expense...get what you need. If you have an employer, have them pay for it. They are saving a bundle not having a physical office, parking spot etc. for you.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rav

Full Timing

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW does similar to what you are describing, we use a Visible Wireless for the hotspot and her phone for calls to customers. We just make sure to be in campgrounds with good cell coverage.
Check out Campendium for campground reviews that include cell coverage info
This year we added a cell booster and it has helped.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Business Systems Analyst here. I work weeks at a time from the RV all the time.

My hotspot has been rock solid for work during the day and streaming at night. I've tested lots of different conditions and haven't ever hit a data cap or been throttled yet.

I have to be strategic about the spots where I camp, but it's not too tough to find a hill or unobstructed valley where I'll get a good signal.

I don't recommend doing like Lwiddis suggests and trying to bill your employer, because they'll tell you to quit telecommuting (once the lockdown is over) and make you come back to the desk that they're already paying for.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

paries

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you All.

This is some great info.

dedmiston , what do you use for a dataplan?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Any software devs, working from their RV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.