Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is a toad necessary with a small motor home?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is a toad necessary with a small motor home?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The normal limit for absorption reefers in about 3°

3 degrees, as you are looking at the fridge ,
I feel comfortable with it being a little off north/south but not so much east/west. The tubes on the rear of the fridge run east/west being more critical to be level .

melandme

Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 26 ft Minnie Winnie and we now use the toad. I believe it depends on if you are a traveler, destination camper, or just relax in the campground campers. We started out as travelers,rarely staying more than one night in the same location. We have involved more into destination campers, staying in one location and exploring the area in the toad. Now if we going to a campground for a couple of days to just relax, we load everything we need into the MH and leave the toad at home.

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2019 "23'" no-slide class C which measures 24'10" bumper to bumper. We are just weekenders and still work full-time, but we did 39 nights last year and over 10k mi. We have been over Snoqualmie pass twice TODAY for a doc appt in Everett (we live in eastern WA.) So we went through some big cities and ~700 mi within last 24 hrs. I'm gonna say no toad for us, we can explore any town or big city basically the same as if we were driving a Surburban or similar. This is our third RV and all were similar sized, we stick with this size range because it works well for us. But as was said, everyone travels very different.

Patrick

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

siremike wrote:

I do have a question concerning the fridge. While breaking down the Rv and going somewhere is not a problem what are the chances of finding a level parking place to keep the fridge level within limits.

I do travel with pets so I am not sure leaving them in an RV while visiting a location would make me feel comfortable.

The fridge is the big concern. I sometimes wish I had pushed to have a compressor fridge installed instead of the 3 way.

I live in Florida and my trips always stress me some concerning the fridge temp.

Thanks
I'd say most parking lots are level enough, that a propane fridge will be fine.

Going down the road, the jostling eliminates most of the out of level concerns.
I totally agree with valhalla360.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oops, duplicate. I wish I had a way to delete this.

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back to the original question! I think the 'need' for a toad depends on your plans while on the road. If you are one who goes to a CG as a destination, content to mostly take advantage of what it has to offer, no toad is fine. If, like us, we travel to explore, wander and enjoy other parts of the country, a toad is essential. We love being in a CG, but almost every day we leave it and discover what else is around where we are. I'm a retired history teacher and use our RV as a 'base' for seeing America as much as we can. We have been RVing for over 45 years and have had almost every kind of RV made. When we 'moved up' to a Class C,and now to our Class A, a toad was always part of our rig. We're happiest that way. As DH tells everyone - we get between 7-8 MPG with our rig, toad or no toad. He so often says he doesn't even notice if it's there - just remember you can't back up with it attached! The only major concern we address is the process of getting gas. Mostly we use Flying J/Pilot (great discounts!) or other travel centers where its not a problem. We have never encountered a real problem with that. Again, I think it all depends on what you want to do once you reach your destination.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thought - our toads have always been 4 on the ground vehicles. Right now it's a 2012 Ford Fiesta (automatic transmission). It is much easier to do it this way than to deal with a tow dolly - for so many reasons. We got one several years ago, DH used it once! Just too much of an effort! It has never really been hard to find a vehicle that can be towed this way, and it takes us less than 5 minutes to hook up or to unhook.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Summarizing 4 pages for the OP
Toad? It depends. Make up your own mind. You should be able to do that.
And there’s no need to get anxiety over a RV fridge. It’ll be fine.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I downsized from 42 foot to 29 foot. I rarely tow any longer. I towed behind my Foretravels for 370k mikes but now it is freeing to not take one. The exception is the beach or places I will off road with the Jeep. My c will tow 12k pounds so it is not an issue that way

John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our driveway is about a 4-degree incline, takes two "lego blocks to level it" We ran the original Dometic fridge on 110 vac for prolonged periods (up to one month) . We never bothered to level it. It developed an ammonia leak at about 10 years old and we had it replaced with a Norcold unit. Your mileage may vary. I understand that running a fridge a little off level for short periods while underway or at rest stops is not particularly injurious, maybe occasional overnight running off level is OK.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is a toad necessary with a small motor home?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.