Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Used Tow Bar Values
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Used Tow Bar Values

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the auxiliary brake was working properly, why did the Jeep dive under the tow bars?

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

every tow bar I have seen once you pull forward they lock in place. So braking device has nothing to do with it. sounds like they either never locked or was broken.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crawford wrote:

every tow bar I have seen once you pull forward they lock in place. So braking device has nothing to do with it. sounds like they either never locked or was broken.

Exactly. They were locked in, but one of the locks broke during the incident. That was mentioned on the first page:

[image]

Also, with the InvisiBrake there is a small but notable delay (<1s) in the braking of the TOAD. And soft, long springs don't do you any favors when it comes to preventing the TOAD from diving.

* This post was edited 09/15/21 11:47am by n0arp *

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just purchased a Blue Ox Alpha II with safety cables, 8" Blue Ox hitch lift, and 7 to 4 pin cable for $500 on Craigs List. It came with original purchase receipts. It was obviously very lightly used as advertised. So, we were in it for a bit over 40% of original cost. Also bought a Brake Buddy II unused in the box for $500. Again that is under 50% of the original price.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/22 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a used Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar for our Jeep. Got if for $357 on eBay. This worked fine, but I eventually bought the complete service kit for it from Etrailer. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-910003-60.html The video showing the process is here: https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-roadm........kit-for-falcon-2-towbar-rm910003-65.aspx

I also purchased a used Roadmaster EvenBrake 9400 from eBay. Paid $497. Worked well for a year or two, then a seal started leaking, causing the compressor to cycle quickly. The replacement seal was under $10, and took less than an hour to take the unit apart, fix the issue, and clean up the inside. Details here: http://2manytoyz.com/RoadMaster-EvenBrake-Repair.html

Both items work perfectly, but did take some effort on my part. I used to work in the aerospace field as a tech, so this type of work is very easy for me. You can take a look at the links above, and decide if you're willing to potentially do this type of work, or look into having it done. But even buying it new, eventually this type of equipment needs servicing.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Used Tow Bar Values
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.