Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: New Camping Buddies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> New Camping Buddies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last May, I lost both my dogs, Moose-dog and Bat-dog. Moose-dog to old age (15 yr old shep/poodle/newfie) and Bat-dog to a brain tumor. She was 11yrs.

Anyway, it was very lonely so I adopted a very beautiful, very sweet shepherd, Cat-dog. Her only issue is with other dogs. She's afraid of them. However, she mothers her cats wonderfully.

So after time for her to adjust to her new home, I started looking into getting a puppy. The first thing was to see how she'd take to a puppy, so the local shelter's foster brought over a small puppy. Cat-dog was in love! She immediately washed its face and was just so happy.

OK. Now we're ready to find the right puppy. It needs to be 4 months or under, big enough for a large shepherd and I'd prefer a male. My preference was for a shepherd mix, but I was open to other mixes.

Rescues wanted as much as $750 to adopt a puppy. The ones I contacted about were adopted the same day they were posted on the websites. There were girls available, but they didn't want to adopt them with another female.

After 3 months of searching, contacting, failing, I contacted a shelter 4 hours away about some aussie mix puppies they had just posted. They were already taken, but she told me they had a litter of border collie mix puppies that would be ready in two weeks. So I submitted my paperwork and got scheduled for the first virtual adoption appt. Which meant I got my pick of the litter.

On Sunday, January 31, they posted their photos. There were 5 girls all but one brown and white shorthaired. The 5th was almost all white with just a touch of black. The 3 boys were each different. One was brown and white like the girls, the second was fluffy with a black with brown coat, and the 3rd was white with some black. For the entire night I kept looking at the photos and I just kept being drawn to the same one.
[image]
Monday morning, I had the virtual and they brought that puppy into the "camera viewing area". He was adorable and happy and friendly. They asked if I wanted to see one of the other boys and I couldn't pick between them. So I adopted the one and scheduled to pick him up on Tuesday after his neutering.

So which one came home? Here is what I found after the tornado hit the living room:

[image]
Cat-dog loves him! She washed him, she showed hime where to sleep - I don't know why but she insists on sleeping UNDER the bed. I have invited her on the bed, but she won't stay. He comes up for a nap sometimes, but likes to sleep with his sister.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

I had my doubts about the border collie, so I got his dna tested.

At just under 8 weeks, he weighed 10lbs. He's the biggest of the litter. At 15 weeks he weighed 25lbs.

Any guesses as to what he is?

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No guesses but am happy you have these great new friends.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for adopting and saving him.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/21 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. He is a one-of-a-kind breed: Giant Jack Russell Terrier.

His dna says 40-60% parson russell (they split the JRT into two breeds now) and 10-25% each shih tzu, collie and pekinese. But in reality he is 100% JRT in personality and his size comes from the collie. Don't see the other breeds at all. He's estimated to grow to 86lbs. I may be in trouble. [emoticon]

He has denifitely livened up the house. He has one more puppy shot and then he can start exploring the world and camp.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/21 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enjoy! We finally have a good chance at a puppy but a Gordon setter and not a springer. Hope it works out. I'm so glad you've got some new buddies to keep you young!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Gordon's are gorgeous dogs. How do they compare personality-wise to the springers? I've only met a couple gordons a long time ago and am more familiar with the Irish.

Tornado-dog is quite a handful, but things usually get through his brain by the time I get to 2. It's usually "stop that. One. Two." and he's followed through with the command. If he's real excited, it can reach the " ...Two. I'm getting up. " before he remembers his rules. But he is a very fast learner.

Cat-dog is very good, but if she gets nervous, she'll try to hide - so coming on command can be difficult. As soon as he gets his last puppy shots, they will both be going to obedience class. A friend is considering getting a dog, so she'll work with Tornado-dog and I'll work with Cat-dog since she has to work through her issues.

The cats have actually adjusted to him quite well.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes its best not to know what he is, so have fun with it! You know what he has , thats a better life now. But you knew this allready.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love being able to know what's in them. It's great to understand their thinking processes.

I have to say I've been lucky with my dogs over the years. They've all been a good fit for me.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Thanks. Gordon's are gorgeous dogs. How do they compare personality-wise to the springers? I've only met a couple gordons a long time ago and am more familiar with the Irish.

Tornado-dog is quite a handful, but things usually get through his brain by the time I get to 2. It's usually "stop that. One. Two." and he's followed through with the command. If he's real excited, it can reach the " ...Two. I'm getting up. " before he remembers his rules. But he is a very fast learner.

Cat-dog is very good, but if she gets nervous, she'll try to hide - so coming on command can be difficult. As soon as he gets his last puppy shots, they will both be going to obedience class. A friend is considering getting a dog, so she'll work with Tornado-dog and I'll work with Cat-dog since she has to work through her issues.

The cats have actually adjusted to him quite well.

Personalities are actually quite similar, which is what drew us to springers after we decided we wanted to "scale down" lol! Gordon's can be stand-offish whereas springers usually aren't but generally warm up to people quickly. Both breeds are nuts as puppies and don't mature until much later in life.

* This post was edited 03/29/21 02:46pm by Crowe *

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Thanks. He is a one-of-a-kind breed: Giant Jack Russell Terrier.

LOL!! I once had a lady ask if Ben, my blue merle 20# Aussie-poo, was an Olde English Sheepdog (Ben DOES have similar coloring), and I said yes - the "teacup version" ;-)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> New Camping Buddies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.