Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: New Camping Buddies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> New Camping Buddies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on the new pups. I lost both of my Collies in 2019 one to old age Mikko and one to oral cancer Cooper. I have always adopted older Collies some with medical issues. This time the rescue had two pups. Sawyer is 2.5yo and Sasha will be 2 July 1st.

They quickly reminded me I'm a old man with their boundless energy. LOL

Smartest thing I did was adopt two so they had playmates.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Thanks. He is a one-of-a-kind breed: Giant Jack Russell Terrier.

LOL!! I once had a lady ask if Ben, my blue merle 20# Aussie-poo, was an Olde English Sheepdog (Ben DOES have similar coloring), and I said yes - the "teacup version" ;-)

I love it!

My mom did rescue with a lady in the early 70s who used to make up exotic "breed" names for the rescues. It was amazing how much faster the dogs got home when they were a rare "Bichon Inu" or "Yorkshire Labrador".

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Congratulations on the new pups. I lost both of my Collies in 2019 one to old age Mikko and one to oral cancer Cooper. I have always adopted older Collies some with medical issues. This time the rescue had two pups. Sawyer is 2.5yo and Sasha will be 2 July 1st.

Thanks! I'm so sorry about Mikko and Cooper - I always enjoyed hearing about them. I thought I would have Bat-dog for several years after Moose-dog passed. Of all my dogs, I think her loss hit me the hardest.

Congratulations on your pups. I bet they are gorgeous. Maybe they are distantly related to Tornado-dog.

I am extremely glad I have Cat-dog. She helps to burn a fair amount of his energy. Although there are days she will not "come get your brother and play with him" and lets me deal with him.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Thanks! I'm so sorry about Mikko and Cooper - I always enjoyed hearing about them. I thought I would have Bat-dog for several years after Moose-dog passed. Of all my dogs, I think her loss hit me the hardest.

Congratulations on your pups. I bet they are gorgeous. Maybe they are distantly related to Tornado-dog.

I am extremely glad I have Cat-dog. She helps to burn a fair amount of his energy. Although there are days she will not "come get your brother and play with him" and lets me deal with him.
Mikko was my heart dog but knew because of his age his time was short. Cooper was only 4 and in 2 weeks from diagnosis I had to let go.

Any help buring up that boundless energy pups have is a blessing.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, I forgot Cooper was still that young. That's heartbreaking.

Like Mikko, Moose-dog was old and I knew his time was coming. Bat-dog had been fine but on a Thursday, she suddenly had a small seizure like episode. Took her to the vet right then and she gave her some anti-seizure meds for the weekend. By Sunday, Bat-dog couldn't even stand up anymore and the episodes were worse and every hour or two even with the meds. I took them both in that evening together to let go. Aunt C, Moose-dog's favorite person in the whole world came with us. I told Moose-dog to shout out the warning "Bat-dog's coming right behind me!" when he crossed to prepare everyone. She was an acquired taste but she loved me and Moose-dog completely.

Cat-dog takes her role as caretaker very seriously. Sometimes a bit too seriously... She didn't approve of him playing with a friend's dog the other day - barked once at Tornado-dog and he ignored the other dog completely.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Collie I had before Cooper (Bud) had seizures and was on some serious medication. On medication they diminished but then came back with a vengeance. On day he had repeated seizures and I was not going to put him through anymore.

Cooper's favorite toy was a Nerf Dog football, he could barely eat but the day before we took the trip he brought me his Nerf football. Still makes my eyes water. He was trying to cheer me up.

I apologize for bringing this up, our pets seemed to experience similar issues.

Enjoy the new pup they turn into a adult so fast. Sawyer was 12 pounds when I got him now he's around 95 pounds.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes they know exactly what to do to tell us it's OK. It does sound like they were similar issues. No apologies necessary. It's comforting to know others in this situation made the same decision.

Sawyer's a big boy. All of Tornado-dog's size comes from the collie. I was talking with a friend last night who mentioned the hyper crazy JRT he knew. I said "OK, now imagine all that in an 85lb body"...

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope Tornado calms down to a gentle breeze as he grows up. The issue with Sawyer was the transition, he did not realize his size. Both Sawyer & Sasha love to travel. Sawyer at 12 weeks went on a 3500 mile trip. Sasha trip at 12 weeks was only about 900 miles.

Have any trips planed to get Tornado use to travel?

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He had to ride home from the shelter for 4 hours, so he got a crash course.

As soon as he gets his last puppy shots, we'll go for a casual camping trip to get both him and Cat-dog used to it. No real long trips planned, but do have a sightseeing trip planned to Lassen NP.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far Sawyer has visited the following states Kansas Colorado Nebraska Minnesota Iowa Missouri Illinois Indiana Ohio West Virginia Pennsylvania New York Maryland Kentucky Tennessee Georgia Florida Oklahoma and Texas in his 2.5 years. Keep in mind we have not gone anywhere in the last year because of covid.

Sasha has not been to as many states but close.

If I don't take the RV I usually stay at a motel 6 because of their pet policy, also they have laminate flooring instead of nasty carpet.

The most expensive motel was in New York state. I had difficulty finding a motel that would accept pets. Finally found one ironically down the street from West Point.

* This post was edited 03/30/21 05:52am by colliehauler *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> New Camping Buddies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.