Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pushing a TT into position from the rear bumper...?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Pushing a TT into position from the rear bumper...?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to purchase a TT in the future to place on my property. The door side I would like in a certain direction but to do so the terrain will not allow me to pull it into place... (If I backed it in to position the normal way, the doors would be on the opposite side of which I want them to face.)

I know a lot depends on the type of TT. I am thinking that it would be some where in the length of a 25 footer with double axles. I do not have the site yet in a state to accept a trailer (even if I can do this "push" method.) I am trying to think down the line so as to anticipate more about getting the site ready to place the RV.

Is there a possibility that I could affix a hitch to the rear bumper to only push-position the trailer into my ideal location?
It would only be used for these temporary site placements.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't figure out if you are serious or joking.

How are you planning to pick up the tongue? There will be considerable amount of weight on the tongue to deal with which would require some sort of wheeled dolly.

Then you have the issue of trailer bumpers being nothing more than 20 ga sheet metal, you would have to reinforce that considerably..

Perhaps consider a Motor Home instead of a trailer, then you can simply drive it into position..

You will end up wrecking a trailer attempting to push from behind..

Of course there will be a bunch of folks posting they do it all the time..

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a ParkIt360 trailer dolly you could move it into any place you want to park it
Course it will cost you $$$$

ParkIt360

[image]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No not joking (would have posted this Thursday if it were... LOL)

Thanks for the input to think about more the mechanics of TT's.
I guess I need to figure out how to pull it from the correct side without using my truck.

Perhaps that electric dolly might be an option.

I could hire my excavator to perhaps pull it into place with one of his implements.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Can't figure out if you are serious or joking.

How are you planning to pick up the tongue? There will be considerable amount of weight on the tongue to deal with which would require some sort of wheeled dolly.

Then you have the issue of trailer bumpers being nothing more than 20 ga sheet metal, you would have to reinforce that considerably..

Perhaps consider a Motor Home instead of a trailer, then you can simply drive it into position..

You will end up wrecking a trailer attempting to push from behind..

Of course there will be a bunch of folks posting they do it all the time..

I think it is a pretty good question as I’ve been in a couple of sites I’d like to do that, and have manually done it when I had a pop up.
The silly suggestion is to buy a motor home to permanently park.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about renting a skid steer or a tractor? I'm thinking somehow add a ball to the bucket or fork, and lifting the tongue to maneuver the trailer into position. You might already be renting the equipment to prepare the site.
Brian

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would it be possible to pull it in there with a skid steer or a tractor??
Depending on the terrain maybe a 4 wheeler with a dolly of some type under the tongue. You’d definitely want a way to apply the brakes.

There’s a way, it will just depend on the terrain, and budget.

Downunda

Melbourne Australia

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend lf mine had to pull his TT up an incline to store it (no access to get the tow vehicle back out) so he used a manual block and tackle anchored to a wall to haul it into position, perhaps you could do something similar?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a similar situation. In order to get my 35' TT into position I hired a skid steer to pull it in. I wanted the door side to face the lake and put in a patio. You could make a very heavy duty dolly to support the tongue and purchase a electric wench from Harbor Freight to pull it into position. If your ground is relatively flat a power dolly would work (mine was not). The skid steer and operator was $300.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeti plus wrote:

What about renting a skid steer or a tractor? I'm thinking somehow add a ball to the bucket or fork, and lifting the tongue to maneuver the trailer into position. You might already be renting the equipment to prepare the site.
Brian

They make a fork mounted ball hitch. I actually have one, we used the forklift at my dad's factory to stow our previous trailer for the winter.

Link

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Pushing a TT into position from the rear bumper...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.