Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C that's easy to fix?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C that's easy to fix?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
et cetera

South-East

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a class C built on a F350 chassic. Not E350. Looks interesting.

2003 Majestic. I assume Four Winds?

Have they made that model beyond 2003?

https://www.usedvictoria.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=33064777&position=2&hb=6

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/21 12:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et cetera wrote:

Here is a class C built on a F350 chassic. Not E350. Looks interesting.

2003 Majestic. I assume Four Winds?

Have they made that model beyond 2003?

https://www.usedvictoria.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=33064777&position=2&hb=6

That style of Class C in the link above may make it a bit easier to work on the truck engine ... but when camped how does the driver and/or passenger swing slightly into any area between the two cab seats with their feet and then stand up so as to be able to walk back direcly into the coach without leaving the RV?

That is one of the great things about a van body being used for a Class C with the cab's roof cut away under the cabover and the cabover bed folded away -> being able to rise and go back into the coach directly from the cab. This arrangement even permits the passenger to carefully and occasionally while traveling go back and get something in the coach or go back to the bathroom.

Being able to do the above is priceless to us in our van chassis based Class C.

* This post was edited 04/26/21 12:20am by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols brings up a very valid point that we lived with for 24 years with our first motorhome SHOWN HERE. If you scroll thru the pictures, you will see where the manual gear shifter was located. Talk about being a contortionist. We had no concerns getting between the cab and house when we bought the rig at age 25, but were so tired of the struggle during our later years.

In the E350/E450, people complain about the difficulties getting from the driver seat to the house interior and back again. I say "Ha, ha, what difficulty?". I have no trouble at all.

I realize a full size pickup cab does not compare to what we managed with for all those years, but is still a lot to deal with compared to a van cab. Between that and sacrificing so much "house" in the overall length, a pickup cab would never be a consideration for us. I'll take the van cab benefits over "repair convenience" of a pickup cab. If we were shopping for a new class C, we would simply page past on-line, or walk past in-person over every pickup cab.

Looking at that picture higher up of a pickup cab lifted off the frame to work on it's diesel engine, leaves me to question the benefit even further. That is not even an option with a motorhome.

* This post was edited 04/26/21 05:57am by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

et cetera

South-East

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see your point.
Still, I would like to know the answer to my question above.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/21 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et cetera wrote:

I see your point.
Still, I would like to know the answer to my question above.

The answer to your question is no,that model was dis continued by Cruse America with the last ones sold in 2003 as a Majestic,their refurbished Former Rental

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

pnichols brings up a very valid point that we lived with for 24 years with our first motorhome SHOWN HERE. If you scroll thru the pictures, you will see where the manual gear shifter was located. Talk about being a contortionist. We had no concerns getting between the cab and house when we bought the rig at age 25, but were so tired of the struggle during our later years.

In the E350/E450, people complain about the difficulties getting from the driver seat to the house interior and back again. I say "Ha, ha, what difficulty?". I have no trouble at all.

I realize a full size pickup cab does not compare to what we managed with for all those years, but is still a lot to deal with compared to a van cab. Between that and sacrificing so much "house" in the overall length, a pickup cab would never be a consideration for us. I'll take the van cab benefits over "repair convenience" of a pickup cab. If we were shopping for a new class C, we would simply page past on-line, or walk past in-person over every pickup cab.

Looking at that picture higher up of a pickup cab lifted off the frame to work on it's diesel engine, leaves me to question the benefit even further. That is not even an option with a motorhome.

With the 22R engine my guess is that vehicle is still moving down the road.Secondly, if that were mine the license plate would be "jetsons". what a great looking rig.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

With the 22R engine my guess is that vehicle is still moving down the road.
Secondly, if that were mine the license plate would be "jetsons". what a great looking rig.
Our little old Toyota/Mirage just might still be. If would be interesting to run a CarFax report on the VIN to see if it's still alive. Other than the interior fabric and carpet, that rig was in excellent condition 14 years ago when we sold it.

I still get inquiries about it from my flickr pictures and my write-up posted inside it with it's history.

et cetera

South-East

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

. . .

I've owned 2 class C's, both on E350 chassis, and they were both a nightmare to work on. . . . .

Working on MY class A (Workhorse chassis) on the other hand, is like stretching out in a large open air garage. The easily removed doghouse (one quarter-turn allen bolt) exposes the entire top of the engine from just behind the radiator to the trans, and both sides are fully accessible from the large wheel wells without even removing a tire; all sparkplugs and coils are easily visible and accessible, as are all of the exhaust manifold studs. The entire floor is above the engine, not at the mid-engine level. Oil change? I can literally sit nearly upright underneath with full access to the drain plug and filter, as there is no other "stuff" closely surrounding the engine/trans and the floor is higher than the C. Belts and hoses are a bit of a pain, but certainly not much worse than my class Cs.

Obviously, some class A's may be worse, but all class C's have tight working space around the drivetrain. The same blanket statement cannot be made about class A's.

Do you have any pics or a link? Tried searching and none came up.
I want to visualize this. As I am considering that model based on your description.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here you go et cetera.

A V8, likely a GM.
[image]

Here is a V10 engine, 99% sure it's a Ford
[image]

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Class A is easier for maintenance. I can change spark plugs, wires, air filter, brake fluid and timing all with the dog house cover removed. There is enough room under the chassis to change oil, trans fluid and differential fluid without using the hyd jacks. I do use the hyd jacks to get to the drive shaft, muffler/ pipe changes, brakes and wheel bearings. If size is not an issue and you are looking at 28 ft or larger MH I would go with a Class A. If they made a 24 ft Class A I would stay with the A but the don't.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C that's easy to fix?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.