Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: More Reasons to Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reasons to Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m usually pretty scrupulous in trying to avoid any food products containing HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). Besides its ability to cause liver damage, I found a few more reasons why it should be avoided, which is easier said than done, since so many of our foods and drink contain this product. I usually check a product’s ingredients before adding it to my shopping bag, but made the mistake of not checking a jar of orange marmalade recently. After I used a little I finally looked at the ingredients. First on the list was HFCS. I used a little bit and threw the rest out. I’d rather take a chance with regular sugar instead, although I use very little when preparing my own foods. Listed below are some further dangers, such as mercury contamination (eek!):

HFCS harms the brain as well as the body. One study out of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) found that consuming HFCS can actually destroy memory, slow mental function, and ultimately deteriorate brain performance in rats.
Detectable levels of mercury have been found in some samples of HFCS. One study by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, a non-profit watchdog group, found that nearly one-third of 55 brand-name processed foods contained mercury. The toxic metal was found most commonly in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings, and condiments.
Mayo Clinic Report

* This post was edited 04/25/21 03:52pm by mr. ed *

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you could apply similar arguments to a thousand other ingredients found in everything.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you removed all the products containing HFCS from the supermarket, about all you would have is an echo. My doctor put me onto the issue years ago and it has only gotten worse. For example, the cereal aisle had only a couple of products fit for human consumption but lately even those now have the filth.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel that it is not just HFCS alone but sugar in general that is a big factor in creating health issues for many folks.

I went on an eating plan a couple of years ago (not really a "diet" per se.) It is the Whole 30 if folks are interested in learning more.

Part of that plan was to, among other things, eliminate ALL sugars for 30 days. Eliminating sugars from processed foods is a difficult thing to do as many are "hidden" in terms of ingredients.

While W30 is not necessarily intended as a weight loss program, I dropped 18 pounds in 30 days. I feel that eliminating sugars in all forms was a big reason for the drop.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

I feel that it is not just HFCS alone but sugar in general that is a big factor in creating health issues for many folks.

I went on an eating plan a couple of years ago (not really a "diet" per se.) It is the Whole 30 if folks are interested in learning more.

Part of that plan was to, among other things, eliminate ALL sugars for 30 days. Eliminating sugars from processed foods is a difficult thing to do as many are "hidden" in terms of ingredients.

While W30 is not necessarily intended as a weight loss program, I dropped 18 pounds in 30 days. I feel that eliminating sugars in all forms was a big reason for the drop.

I did a sugar detox a year ago. Nothing with sugars, including natural sugars like certain fruits etc. Lost 20 lbs in a month and once I started including sugar again I found everything cloyingly sweet.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always check your references.

mr. ed wrote:

1. How High-Fructose Corn Syrup is Made http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2011/02/17/7057/how-high-fructose-corn-syrup-hfcs-is-made/

Ad-supported magazine. Article is from 2011 and no longer available online. (The link doesn't work.) Food manufacturing is .. not pleasant, in general. If you really want to be grossed out, tour a butter factory sometime, or one that makes fish oil pills. How unpleasant the manufacturing process is, assuming the output passes safety tests, has nothing to do with whether or not the product is harmful.

Quote:

2. High Fructose Corn Syrup: How Dangerous is it? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29955927/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/high-fructose-corn-syrup-how-dangerous-it/#.T8-Q71JIJtg

Link doesn't go to MSNBC, as it would appear. msn.com is still owned by Microsoft though. Most likely this is a very (!) old link. My router blocked the site, so I can't comment further.

Quote:

3. Metabolic Dangers of High-Fructose Corn Syrup http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/dec2008_Metabolic-Dangers-of-High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup_01.htm

Another very old article (from 2008). lef.org is now knows as lifeextension.com and is a purveyor of unregulated pharmaceuticals.

Quote:

4. A Sweet Problem http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/index.xml?section=topstories

Finally, a reputable source, and a link that works! Another old article though (2010). One would want to make sure the research has held up over time. (e.g. If the study has been repeated in humans and found to have similar results. Lab mice don't always behave the same.) This one I'm inclined to believe is most probably true.

Quote:

5. The Double Danger of High-Fructose Corn Syrup http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-foods/double-danger-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup

Another link that doesn't work. No idea how old the article is. The organization exists and appears legit, although is likely biased towards the needs of small produce farmers (the sort that sell at Farmer's Markets) and small organics. Articles against HFCS, which is generally used by large scale food manufacturers, aren't unexpected from such a source.
westonaprice.org wrote:

The main sources of support for the Weston A. Price Foundation are the dues and contributions of its members. The Foundation receives no funding from any government agency or food processing corporation. Although many of our members are farmers, the Foundation has no ties with the meat or dairy industry, nor with any organization promoting these industries. The Foundation promotes the production of food by independent farmers and artisans, and not by industry.

Taken from here: https://www.westonaprice.org/about-us/wapf-funding/

Can't comment on the article though without being able to read it.

How did you end up doing new research and coming up with so many broken links???

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

I think you could apply similar arguments to a thousand other ingredients found in everything.

Perhaps but when it's a "Pinch of ___ " (like the 10th ingredent on the list) v/s one of the top 3 as HFCS often is... makes a big difference,

HFCS is used to replace sugar because of lower cost. there is no reason to use it at all and a whole lot of data to suggest the FDA should ban it entierly.. I call it a "Devil's brew" But then I don't often post on it any more as most of the research I have done, which by the way confirms most of the original post. was a decade or more ago.. I like to avoid it as well.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

If you removed all the products containing HFCS from the supermarket, about all you would have is an echo. My doctor put me onto the issue years ago and it has only gotten worse. For example, the cereal aisle had only a couple of products fit for human consumption but lately even those now have the filth.

I agree with you about the cereals. I've given up on these cereals entirely and buy only hot cereal, such as oatmeal, which has no added sugar. However, I can't eat oatmeal without at least a little sweetening. For that I use a minimal amount of "Sugar in the Raw". It may not be much better than regular white sugar, but I still prefer that over a product with added HFCS.

Several folks on this thread made an issue about some of the studies on HFCS being a little dated. That doesn't necessarily mean there isn't some truth in their findings. That being said, I'll continue to avoid HFCS where possible. i acknowledge that's almost impossible since usage of HFCS is so ubiquitous in many foods. If I ingest a little, so be it. Beats starving! [emoticon]

* This post was edited 04/23/21 06:44pm by mr. ed *

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Perhaps but when it's a "Pinch of ___ " (like the 10th ingredent on the list) v/s one of the top 3 as HFCS often is... makes a big difference,

HFCS is used to replace sugar because of lower cost. there is no reason to use it at all and a whole lot of data to suggest the FDA should ban it entierly.. I call it a "Devil's brew" But then I don't often post on it any more as most of the research I have done, which by the way confirms most of the original post. was a decade or more ago.. I like to avoid it as well.

Other products I avoid are the popular "maple" syrups, which are mainly corn syrup with artificial maple flavoring and color. So, if the corn syrup doesn't get you, the other artificial ingredients might. In this case, I splurge and buy real maple syrup. Sure, it's a sugar, but at least it's the real thing, and I feel better using. In addition, I only use a minimal amount. Some folks like to soak pancakes/waffles with copious amounts of syrup. When eating breakfast in a restaurant with a friend, I'd bring my own real maple syrup rather than use the artificial stuff that's served by the restaurant. My friends literal soak their pancakes with too much artificial syrup. Naither of them is in great health. [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did you end up doing new research and coming up with so many broken links???

Those links were copied and pasted from the original article. True, I neglected to check them out, but the original article made sense to me, not to mention my investigating various articles on food additives and safety of foods over the years. The original article was from the respected Mayo Clinic

An interesting discussion could also take place concerning all the genetically modified foods we're ingesting, but that's a subject for another thread. (.:

* This post was edited 04/23/21 06:48pm by mr. ed *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reasons to Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.