Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

In the 70's it was 8 gal max in the Seattle area. My 74 K10 SNB had three tanks. OEM 16, 18 saddle on the other side and 30 where the spare tire mounted.

But if the station would only sell you 8 gallons, hauling the extra MT tanks around did you no good. The only advantage was you could go to the station, get 8 gallons wither you needed it or not. In the instance now, the fact you could fill all those tanks means you could be sure 5 other people could not get the 10 gallons they need.
But your talk of the 70s brings up a good point. Nearly 50 years, every once in a while something happens, the oil companies give the sack a good squeeze. Then many try to shake the hand off, but soon we tell them to get another grip. How long before nobody can sing base?

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Me Again wrote:

In the 70's it was 8 gal max in the Seattle area. My 74 K10 SNB had three tanks. OEM 16, 18 saddle on the other side and 30 where the spare tire mounted.

But if the station would only sell you 8 gallons, hauling the extra MT tanks around did you no good. The only advantage was you could go to the station, get 8 gallons wither you needed it or not. In the instance now, the fact you could fill all those tanks means you could be sure 5 other people could not get the 10 gallons they need.
But your talk of the 70s brings up a good point. Nearly 50 years, every once in a while something happens, the oil companies give the sack a good squeeze. Then many try to shake the hand off, but soon we tell them to get another grip. How long before nobody can sing base?

I drove for Seattle to Dayton, Oh in it a couple times, once out of Washington State I did not have fuel issues. I think because on the refineries in Washington they used fake shortage to pressure the locals.

Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 335HP and 380 Lb Ft - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome. Retired and enjoying it!

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the day, when our camping excursions included south of California border, filling up the truck and half dozen military style gas tanks/cans in El Centro allowed me to never have to deal with the watered down Mex gas.

And back in the Carter days with gas rationing, like many of us, we would slip to the front of the line and fill up gas cans--avoiding having to play the "even - odd" day game.

So--if one is creative and thinks outside the box...if there is a will, then there is a way.

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

Back in the day, when our camping excursions included south of California border, filling up the truck and half dozen military style gas tanks/cans in El Centro allowed me to never have to deal with the watered down Mex gas.

And back in the Carter days with gas rationing, like many of us, we would slip to the front of the line and fill up gas cans--avoiding having to play the "even - odd" day game.

So--if one is creative and thinks outside the box...if there is a will, then there is a way.

Carter days? Are you making a political statement implying the fuel issues of that time was caused by actions of the president?
I thought he was doing what he could to protect the country from outside influences he could not control. Of course many people always assumed rules where written to control them, not to help everybody.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Guess I am a “FOOL” to haul a nice large RV. Must be extra foolish as I also own a 2,500’ rambler in NW WA on property with a 30x40 shop.

Curious why you don’t sell that RAM as it seems you are not happy with it.

On flT ground towing at 60 I will bet you get 9-10 with the RAM and no way more than 7.5 with the gasser same conditions.

Must be another fool, 1800sqft home, 40x50 shop, 30x35 car port, over size two car garage (wife's craft shop) 14K 36ft 5W.

80 gallon auxiliary tank and no savings? Just over $1000 last year with the TSD fuel program, same card EFS card truckers carry. Plus no worries on when to fuel with the long stretches. This topic been beat to death many times.

Why do the big 3 all make trucks, RV's in multi floor plans and price ranges? Because different stokes for different folks, we don't all like the same thing. You like Dodge I like Ford, who's to say which is right, the GM guy?
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

OkieGene wrote:

For those of you who couldn't see the benefit of extra fuel, look today at gas stations in the Eastern US. Due to the Colonial Pipeline issue, what is happening to those who need fuel and are unable to get it? Let alone paying the increased cost of fuel if they can get some.

Anyone? Anyone> Bueller??? Bueller???

Let me see, maybe I should haul a extra 500 lbs around for the life of my truck because something might happen?
If that tank was MT when the attack happened all it would do is give you a better chance to hoard fuel.

The might happen happens when I get low on fuel. Oh and when the pie lines hacked I still have 100 gallons plus.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

OkieGene wrote:

For those of you who couldn't see the benefit of extra fuel, look today at gas stations in the Eastern US. Due to the Colonial Pipeline issue, what is happening to those who need fuel and are unable to get it? Let alone paying the increased cost of fuel if they can get some.

Anyone? Anyone> Bueller??? Bueller???

Let me see, maybe I should haul a extra 500 lbs around for the life of my truck because something might happen?
If that tank was MT when the attack happened all it would do is give you a better chance to hoard fuel.

The might happen happens when I get low on fuel. Oh and when the pie lines hacked I still have 100 gallons plus.

So you are saying when you get down to 100 gallon reserve, you fill up? If so, you are hauling nearly 800 lbs just in case. But the only way the large tank is advantage in SHF is if you know in time to fill it.
Personally, I'm not worried about fuel interruptions all the time. When my stock tank gets down to 1/4, I know I can go at least 100 miles before the light comes on, if I'm towing my camper, assuming that gas is fairly fresh. For normal use, at the 1/4 mark, I put in 5 gallons, and am good for a few weeks

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give it a rest scooby. You’re acting like Kayteg 2.0.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

Carter days? Are you making a political statement implying the fuel issues of that time was caused by actions of the president?
I thought he was doing what he could to protect the country from outside influences he could not control. Of course many people always assumed rules where written to control them, not to help everybody.

LOL, as an Indie (neither R or D) I freely speak my mind without worrying about trying to maintain some crazy political allegiance. And yes I lived through the Carter days and economically, it sucked.

I think we can agree, every leader "does what he could to protect"... (their constituents)..."from outside influences he could not control", it's part of the job of being a leader.

IMO, if any leader (prez, gov, mayor) chooses to bask in the sunlight of good news during their watch, then they should also embrace the cloudy days of bad news. Agree?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

LOL, as an Indie (neither R or D) I freely speak my mind without worrying about trying to maintain some crazy political allegiance. And yes I lived through the Carter days and economically, it sucked.

I think we can agree, every leader "does what he could to protect"... (their constituents)..."from outside influences he could not control", it's part of the job of being a leader.

IMO, if any leader (prez, gov, mayor) chooses to bask in the sunlight of good news during their watch, then they should also embrace the cloudy days of bad news. Agree?

I will never claim Carter was a good president, but I will say he was one of the best men to be president.
I can't see how anybody could say the president caused the oil embargo. And like most I did not always look kindly on the changes made under his administration. (Running meat, the double nickel hurt) but looking back if the population had at least tried maybe the oil companies would of lost grip on the sack years ago.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.