Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was bucking a big head wind yesterday towing and managed to get 6.5 mpg. Barely made it to my usual fuel stop. I filled 31 gallons in a 32 gallon tank.

The 2005 Ford V10 got 6.5 once time pulling in a headwind and pulling the same trailer in a headwind, the 2019 Ram HO diesel got 6.5. The only downside is that Ram's mpg is more sensitive to headwinds and sidewinds. The upside to the Ford is that it has a 36 gallon tank. The Ram is a wimpy 32 so the distance between fuel stops is about the same as the Ford V10 because the fuel mileage of the Ram is only a little better than the Ford pulling the same trailer.

You towing 34k combined with a 13’ 4” high and 102” wide RV?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

Personally, I would never even think about either replacing a good factory fuel tank with a larger tank or adding an auxiliary tank.

If you want more capacity solely to buy cheaper fuel, it will take one heck of lot of fill-ups to pay back anywhere near the out of pocket cost. If you do it for longer stop intervals, I easily get two bathroom stops out of a tank of fuel with my existing tank.

Adding more fuel at 6-7 pounds per gallon never made any sense to me.
Exactly. Not mention fresh fuel is always better and stops to stretch helps to stay alert. It doesn't pencil out unless you are headed to Alaska and even then. Now, if we get back to 1973 and fuel shortage, then it might make some sense, but even then they rationed us to how many gallons we could buy.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We still stop as often as if we didn't have the ability to go all day without stopping, but we stop at rest stops, town parks, places other than a noisy, stinky, busy, fuel stop. That's the main reason we have the auxiliary tank. I fill the tanks when they get empty, I rarely pay much attention to prices. I got the auxiliary fuel tank to lessen the stress, not add to it by searching for cheaper fuel, and then trying to find it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 41 gallon aux has been in for two years. Have not bought diesel anywhere during that period except the local Costco. Fuel prices at our camping destinations are typically 50 to 70 cents higher. I just do the round trip now without refueling. In another year, the fuel cost savings will pay for the tank. The extra convenience is just a plus.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"other than a noisy, stinky, busy, fuel stop."

You need to get out more! Modern Truck stops are none of the mentioned. Maybe busy at times but that is not an issue as they have plenty of pumps.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loss of bed or toolbox space is a no go for me. "IF" I ever add capacity besides my "5" I keep in my tool box it will be a 55 gallon Titan replacement tank.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s amazing, some folks’ level of conviction against extra fuel....too funny!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

You towing 34k combined with a 13’ 4” high and 102” wide RV?

LOL. No.

IMO, anyone towing 34k combined with a 13’ 4” high and 102” wide RV is a fool. Why tow a house when you can buy a large home that is attached to a foundation, located on property?

My 5th wheel is low profile and lightweight. I get slightly better fuel mileage towing it with the 2019 Ram. But because my 15 year old Ford V10 has a bigger fuel tank, I can tow the same 5th wheel the same distance on one tank.

I was hoping for better fuel mileage with the Ram, but the fuel mileage on the diesel isn't really that great. It's just slightly better than a 15 year old F350 with a V10 and 4:30's
[image]
[image]
[image]
BTW, this is not a commercial for Sinclair.

The fuel mileage I got with the Ram towing a 34' bumper pull with the Ram numerous times to and from Utah wasn't great either. When I'm not towing anything, it's totally different. I'll get 17 mpg. But, once I hook up a trailer to the Ram, the fuel mileage tanks. IMO, it's just a wussy truck with a heavy hunk of iron under the hood. LOL.

* This post was edited 05/05/21 01:41pm by Devo the dog *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess I am a “FOOL” to haul a nice large RV. Must be extra foolish as I also own a 2,500’ rambler in NW WA on property with a 30x40 shop.

Curious why you don’t sell that RAM as it seems you are not happy with it.

On flT ground towing at 60 I will bet you get 9-10 with the RAM and no way more than 7.5 with the gasser same conditions.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 12:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

curt12914 wrote:

Personally, I would never even think about either replacing a good factory fuel tank with a larger tank or adding an auxiliary tank.

If you want more capacity solely to buy cheaper fuel, it will take one heck of lot of fill-ups to pay back anywhere near the out of pocket cost. If you do it for longer stop intervals, I easily get two bathroom stops out of a tank of fuel with my existing tank.

Adding more fuel at 6-7 pounds per gallon never made any sense to me.
Exactly. Not mention fresh fuel is always better and stops to stretch helps to stay alert. It doesn't pencil out unless you are headed to Alaska and even then. Now, if we get back to 1973 and fuel shortage, then it might make some sense, but even then they rationed us to how many gallons we could buy.

Because that fresh fuel you bought an hour ago sure burns much better than the stuff you bought yesterday! LOL. You’re too much!
Standup comedy may be a good side job for you with a response like that!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.