Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

For those of you who couldn't see the benefit of extra fuel, look today at gas stations in the Eastern US. Due to the Colonial Pipeline issue, what is happening to those who need fuel and are unable to get it? Let alone paying the increased cost of fuel if they can get some.

Anyone? Anyone> Bueller??? Bueller???

I believe the point is that at some point you are going to have to get more gas. An extra tank isn't going to prevent that. Sure if both tanks full when shortage hits, you'll be able to go further without needing to buy more. But if the shortage lasts more than a couple days, you'll have gone through that reserve and are now in the same boat as everyone else.

And what happens if they then restrict gas purchases to 10 gallons per vehicle? Now your extra tank is of no use.

I don't think anyone is saying an extra tank is bad - they are simply saying it's not a necessity and for many isn't worth the extra cost.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

^^^^^^^^ "do is give you a better chance to hoard fuel." ^^^^^^^^^^^

That wasn't very nice, was it? No need to get snarky.

I'm thinking of those people who have a small fuel tank in their rig and can't get to another station to get fuel.

What the heck is wrong with that?

Sorry if I offended you. But If you had 1000 gallon tank, and it was MT you would be no better off than me with a MT 25 gallon tank.
OTOH just like people when they saw TP in the store buy a 6 month supply so others could not get what they need.
And I'm sure that this kind of thing happens couple times a month...
And all this in convince to cry about, it is still against the rules to talk about the actions taken to be sure we don't prevent it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

OkieGene wrote:

For those of you who couldn't see the benefit of extra fuel, look today at gas stations in the Eastern US. Due to the Colonial Pipeline issue, what is happening to those who need fuel and are unable to get it? Let alone paying the increased cost of fuel if they can get some.

I believe the point is that at some point you are going to have to get more gas. An extra tank isn't going to prevent that. Sure if both tanks full when shortage hits, you'll be able to go further without needing to buy more. But if the shortage lasts more than a couple days, you'll have gone through that reserve and are now in the same boat as everyone else.

And what happens if they then restrict gas purchases to 10 gallons per vehicle? Now your extra tank is of no use.

I don't think anyone is saying an extra tank is bad - they are simply saying it's not a necessity and for many isn't worth the extra cost.

Thought you were in the "I got 2 tanks and like it crowd?"
Make up your mind. Would you rather have 50 gal or 25 gal on board when you hit the Georgia state line and see a line around the block for fuel?

On another note..."Prices jumped to $2.87 or $2.99 per gallon!"

Washington and California "Hold my beer...."

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

OkieGene wrote:

Let me see, maybe I should haul a extra 500 lbs around for the life of my truck because something might happen?
If that tank was MT when the attack happened all it would do is give you a better chance to hoard fuel.

So, professional truck driver is a proponent of little fuel tanks?

Starting to wonder aboot you Scoob....

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I'm in the "it adds convenience so why not" crowd. When I pulled a 39' fifth wheel, the extra fuel from an in-bed tank gave me a total of about 1200 miles range before needing a fillup. That meant I could gas up after dropping the trailer and setting up camp rather than worrying about getting into any given station with the trailer attached.

The convenience was worth it for me...never did the math nor took the trouble to chase the cheapest fuel, but sure did like just wheeling the truck into a station.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

FWIW, I'm in the "it adds convenience so why not" crowd. When I pulled a 39' fifth wheel, the extra fuel from an in-bed tank gave me a total of about 1200 miles range before needing a fillup. That meant I could gas up after dropping the trailer and setting up camp rather than worrying about getting into any given station with the trailer attached.

The convenience was worth it for me...never did the math nor took the trouble to chase the cheapest fuel, but sure did like just wheeling the truck into a station.
That sums up my reasons for having an auxiliary tank quite completely.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

PA12DRVR wrote:

That sums up my reasons for having an auxiliary tank quite completely.

I couldn't even make it home form Spokane to Seattle in the brodozer with the new toyhualer behind it on one tank....
Pathetic....
SOmehow we can get almost $100k trucks that will tow, literally a house and massage you @ss while driving down the road listening to your favorite music on satellite radio with a 200W sub, in the middle of BFE while using adaptive cruise control, lane keeping and active collision avoidance, yet have to stop in less than 3 hours to fill up or you'll be walking.....
All because old guys with enlarged prostates have to take a whiz more often??
I don't get it....

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"All because old guys with enlarged prostates have to take a whiz more often??"

Somehow that leap in logic totally escapes me. I wonder what the average vehicles' range is with the OEM fuel tank. Car or truck? I'll bet lots of them have a range of between 300-400 miles. Even ones not driven by geezers beset by prostatitis. [emoticon]

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

OkieGene wrote:

Thought you were in the "I got 2 tanks and like it crowd?"
Make up your mind. Would you rather have 50 gal or 25 gal on board when you hit the Georgia state line and see a line around the block for fuel?

On another note..."Prices jumped to $2.87 or $2.99 per gallon!"

Washington and California "Hold my beer...."

My like of having two tanks is a personal like. That doesn't mean I think everyone else should have to like it.

My clipper has a 30 and a 40 gallon tank. My Durango (used to tow the trailer) has a 26 gallon tank. Honestly, I don't find one more convenient in regards to the amount of fuel as the other.

The two tanks on the clipoer have been of extreme benefit for me in regards to the damaging of one tank and the ability to use the other tank to get home or to a shop without needing a tow.

A transfer tank will not provide that benefit, so its benefit is simply limited to the amount of fuel one carries at a time. For me, that is not a major deal breaker.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

OkieGene wrote:

^^^^^^^^ "do is give you a better chance to hoard fuel." ^^^^^^^^^^^

That wasn't very nice, was it? No need to get snarky.

I'm thinking of those people who have a small fuel tank in their rig and can't get to another station to get fuel.

What the heck is wrong with that?

Sorry if I offended you. But If you had 1000 gallon tank, and it was MT you would be no better off than me with a MT 25 gallon tank.
OTOH just like people when they saw TP in the store buy a 6 month supply so others could not get what they need.
And I'm sure that this kind of thing happens couple times a month...
And all this in convince to cry about, it is still against the rules to talk about the actions taken to be sure we don't prevent it.

In the 70's it was 8 gal max in the Seattle area. My 74 K10 SNB had three tanks. OEM 16, 18 saddle on the other side and 30 where the spare tire mounted.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.