Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: i-5 san diego thru LA rest stops?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> i-5 san diego thru LA rest stops?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Whangler

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

I should add that the absence of rest stops was a big factor in our decision to get a FloJet macerator for home use. We are now much more likely to use the facilities in our trailer while on the last leg of a trip, because we can easily clean out the black tank at home.

Where does the effluent go after the macerator? Through a garden hose?

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. It's just used for that purpose alone, to avoid contamination. The hose goes into our sewer cleanout. The FloJet process takes a while, and is a little noisy. But it works -- I now can clean my black and gray tanks at home, really clean and well rinsed, with nobody waiting impatiently at a filthy dump station.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Whangler

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks you all. I ended up taking the inland route to avoid the socal metropilis. I-8 ->111->78 -> i-10-> 62->247 ->58 -i-5..... Didn't hit significant traffic til i-580 into the bay area. A bit of a shock after 7 weeks of the great wide open southwest.

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Thanks you all. I ended up taking the inland route to avoid the socal metropilis. I-8 ->111->78 -> i-10-> 62->247 ->58 -i-5..... Didn't hit significant traffic til i-580 into the bay area. A bit of a shock after 7 weeks of the great wide open southwest.

My brain got a barrier block while reading these routes upon seeing 78 thinking you were going thru Ocotillo Wells, Ramona and Escondido and then continued on I-10 and realized 86 was forgotten to be posted before resuming on I-10 to 62.

All the years I lived in Los Angeles, Coachella Valley and throughout Southern California - the two routes listed I never commuted on is the 247 out of Yucca Valley and the 58.

In September 2019, I was climbing up the Grapevine southbound I-5 and my camper rig decides to fuel vapor lock for the first time it was so hot, and sure was glad I barely had enough speed to cut in front of two semis going uphill with no power and still made it coasting into a parking spot at the new rest stop area (new to me that never used to exist) ..Popped the hood up and let it cool for an hour and a half and resumed travel with no problem.

The old rest stop was pretty much at the base of the Grapevine (the Union 76 truck stop and frontage road)

I can certainly contest about the lack of rest areas throughout the LA metro and San Diego areas.

1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (176K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> i-5 san diego thru LA rest stops?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.