Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Black walnut issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black walnut issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had planned on being out of Va and on the road by now, but life has thrown us a curveball. And we will likely still be here for the most part for the next 6 months,,,,, or longer.
I had recently built up a parking pad for my class A that was close enough to level to let us work on setting everything up, and run the fridge. But it is located at the edge of my lot and overhung by numerous very large Black Walnut trees, To build a carport for storage through fall and winter will run over $2500.00 from what I have researched. 16' x 24' with a 14' center height.
Those same black walnut trees can be used however to carry a sunshade type screen above the rig. Cutting them down would help, but a couple are on a neighbors lot and overhang mine so it would not solve the problem.
But the same fabric used by Lowes, Home Depot, and Helmart on their garden center can be rigged on strong bungee cords from chains on the trees on my lot. They would cover my solar and skylights as well as the roof vents.
I'm not looking for a solid roof from the trees, the wind would destroy it with me being on a large lake, but the sunbrella fabric would allow some wind to pass through , lessening the effects of the wind. And these seem to hold up on the retail spaces.
Worth trying? Or am I tilting at windmills?

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$2500 is a bargain for a steel building.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not if you are hoping on being out of here shortly.

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The building is a one shot deal. The fabric is not. You will not e sorry with with the building as it will keep snow and sun off of your unit as well as leaves and walnuts. And it will make your roof and attachments last longer.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the size of the fabric you need means big wind loads, even if the fabric isn't a solid surface. Those fabric roofs at Home Depot have steel or aluminum frames anchored to the ground to hold the fabric in place. You're going to have a much harder time engineering a solution that hangs from trees with some bungies and/or chains and a strong wind could end up pulling some of the branches down along with the shade.

Can you put a cover on the RV? If you still want to use it occasionally, some covers have zippers on the passenger side to let the cover be easily rolled back to gain temporary access to the RV.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at selling the house as soon as the medical issue is solved, local contractors are six months out for putting these things up, want paid in advance , and all have poor reputations for completing on time. Newmart builders is the main one here, and they have a "less than stellar" reputation.
Some folks are posting reviews of it taking over a year. I'm looking at planning now for a fall issue and then out of here.
I was hoping someone had experience with the screen fabric like is used on garden centers, it appears I can get that set up for only a couple hundred, and not have to file for permits or wait for a no show contractor.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

I think the size of the fabric you need means big wind loads, even if the fabric isn't a solid surface. Those fabric roofs at Home Depot have steel or aluminum frames anchored to the ground to hold the fabric in place. You're going to have a much harder time engineering a solution that hangs from trees with some bungies and/or chains and a strong wind could end up pulling some of the branches down along with the shade.

Can you put a cover on the RV? If you still want to use it occasionally, some covers have zippers on the passenger side to let the cover be easily rolled back to gain temporary access to the RV.

I have a cover, but these Black walnuts have destroyed the clear panels on my shed which is right next to the RV, they are larger than a golf ball and falling 40-50 feet. And a cover laying right on the roof wont do much to protect the solar panels or the skylights, The screening I was hoping would deflect them after their 40-60 foot fall to my roof.
I had considered laying/taping a pool float over the solar panels and other roof items and then putting the cover on, but the fabric seemed a better solution.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To better explain tree size and location.
[image]

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black Walnut trees sold as lumber is VERY expensive. Some trees sell for over $1,000. Check if you can sell the trees.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

Black Walnut trees sold as lumber is VERY expensive. Some trees sell for over $1,000. Check if you can sell the trees.

Two of the largest ones overhanging my pad are on a neighbors lot, and around here they will cost me about $300 each to drop and thats if i let the cutter have the tree.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black walnut issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.