Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Inflated hopes for EV P/U
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Inflated hopes for EV P/U

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As usual Jay did a fair and complete report.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Isn't there a $7500 federal tax credit on the purchase of EVs'?

I wouldn't have even thought about buying an electric vehicle if I had to rely on the **** chargers that non-Teslas have to put up with. The only reason that we have charging networks is that Tesla blazed the path and now others are trying get in on the game but from what I hear most are making pretty lame attempts. They aren't even trying in the area I live in.

Not having a common charging infrastructure is a big thing that is keeping me away from EV's. I can fill up at any gas station in the country thanks and until the EV industry is the same, I 'm not really interested.

What if every manufacturer decided to go Tesla's route and build their own proprietary charging system. Who in their right mind would buy one of the things.

Seems you are pro EV but only as long as it is a Tesla.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 03:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Tesla Attitude would be a much better description. The only reason that Tesla even exists is that the other auto companies are too focused on their next quarterly report to plan long term and they are too profit oriented to be value oriented. Tesla has succeeded in making electric vehicles a pleasure to own and drive while the others have been making "compliance vehicles" that are boring and rely on someone else to provide the infrastructure. So far that's not working for them but they keep doing the same thing and marveling that it still doesn't work. While Tesla has been able to increase the price of their cars $3000 in the past few months and are still sold out GM has been forced to discount the Bolt by $9000 to get them off the lot. And a report just came out that GM's recent recharging plan is already in trouble.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inflated hopes? Really? Did you really expect this technology to fly out of the gate fully mature and capable?
I think that if your hopes were dashed it is you that needs improvement.
No reasonable person expects full capabilities from the get go.
Did any one ever dis the Model T because it couldn't tow 12k? I doubt it.But yet its great great grandchild the F 150 can.
Come back in 108 years and state your case!

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

EV or ICE, "fuel economy" ratings are often fudged numbers. Had a 2018 Camry ICE that came close to the EPA numbers. Traded it for a 2019 Highlander with a V6 rated for 21 city, 26 highway. Haven't seen either number yet; vehicle is the biggest gas pig I've had in some time. Just too many variables to take into account no matter the fuel source/propulsion method.

I have never had a problem meeting posted figures, usually even surpassing them with any vehicle I've driven.

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my Diesel PU for Towing, the Wife has a gas car and I have an all electric Nissan Leaf now for over a year and put over 11,000 miles on it.

The EV works great as my daily driver and with 200 miles range I can easily take care of my local driving and visits to family/friends and only charge at home. Its fun to drive and sporty. EV's do have limitations as covered here and I don't see them completely replacing Gas/Diesel any time soon. But have an open mind to the new tech...you have to start somewhere!

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

Also, don't forget we have to keep cranking up those horrible carbon emitting power plants in order to create sufficient electricity to power those wonderful EV machines.

Not always...I live between two Nuclear plants and a 500 acre solar farm.

Also, most people charge at night when the base load on the electrical grid is low. This is why we can support some more EVs to a point with our current capacity.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know, if you feel the need to be enraged, there are other things to get enraged about than something that is going to play out as it plays out whether you are enraged or not. Just sit back and watch the show. Maybe you will be right and it will be a miserable failure. Maybe it will prove you wrong. Seems like a lot of wasted energy raging over it.

There are only three things for sure in life: Death, taxes, and the wasteful spending of the aforementioned tax dollars. If it's not electric trucks, it will be something else, like roads or law enforcement. None of it will be to your liking.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learjet wrote:

I have my Diesel PU for Towing, the Wife has a gas car and I have an all electric Nissan Leaf now for over a year and put over 11,000 miles on it.

The EV works great as my daily driver and with 200 miles range I can easily take care of my local driving and visits to family/friends and only charge at home. Its fun to drive and sporty. EV's do have limitations as covered here and I don't see them completely replacing Gas/Diesel any time soon. But have an open mind to the new tech...you have to start somewhere!

Spot on. Henry Ford would agree as well.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Since when did campgrounds only have 15 amp outlets? It is a nice video--but clearly he did not research charging at campgrounds too well.

In a practical sense specifically concerning EV charging, they all do. Many have 30A 120V service, but there is no such thing as 30A level 1 charging that I'm aware of. You get the same charge rate as plugging into any 120V outlet regardless of its amp rating. If your site has 50A 240 service you might be able to use a universal level 2 charge adapter and get a decent charge overnight. But you might not have any current left over for niceties like A/C or microwave. If you want to use these things (most of us will, that's why we RV in the first place) you're back to level 1 charging.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Inflated hopes for EV P/U
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.