Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Inflated hopes for EV P/U
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Inflated hopes for EV P/U

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EV trucks will have a place and could be quite popular but not for rowing. The simple fact is, existing batteries suck as energy storage devices and until that changes, serious towing with EV’s won’t be a thing.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

chops1sc

Sumter, SC

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I like to compare it to is back when we were using Horses to haul things. Then the "car" came about and the horse and carriage users probably thought he same way we are now about the EV. But we eventually got to where we are today.

I believe that somewhere down the road EV will be able to go farther, charge quicker (and hopefully cleaner), and be able to tow heavy loads. Technology is rapidly changing and to think EV are just a fad is IMO very ignorant.

It may not be in our lifetime, but one day the technology will be there.

chops1sc - YouTube Channel

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chops1sc wrote:

One thing I like to compare it to is back when we were using Horses to haul things. Then the "car" came about and the horse and carriage users probably thought he same way we are now about the EV. But we eventually got to where we are today.

I believe that somewhere down the road EV will be able to go farther, charge quicker (and hopefully cleaner), and be able to tow heavy loads. Technology is rapidly changing and to think EV are just a fad is IMO very ignorant.

It may not be in our lifetime, but one day the technology will be there.

The problem with this analogy is everything was set against the motor car. Cars won out because they were that much better than a horse (even the unreliable early cars).

EVs on the other hand have massive govt pressure supporting them along with financial kickbacks for buying them...and they still make up less than 1% of the vehicles on the road.

They have a place as a 2nd commuter car but as a primary vehicle and certainly a tow vehicle, they have a lot of limitations.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

Also, don't forget we have to keep cranking up those horrible carbon emitting power plants in order to create sufficient electricity to power those wonderful EV machines.

Why would you have to use those nasty coal or petrol fired power plants to charge an EV? Everyone I know, including myself, that has an EV is smart enough to have solar...enough to have no electric bill at all.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"EVs on the other hand have massive govt pressure supporting them along with financial kickbacks for buying them...and they still make up less than 1% of the vehicles on the road.

They have a place as a 2nd commuter car but as a primary vehicle and certainly a tow vehicle, they have a lot of limitations."

I haven't received any kickbacks for buying a Tesla. I must be missing something.

Most are not great for trips yet but to some extent that is just due to lack of charging stations and those are increasing in locations rapidly. As for only being one percent of the vehicles on the road that is going to change rapidly in the next few years. Just about every car maker on the planet is building new factories to make them and Tesla is going as fast at they can. If GM will ever start focusing on value instead of price they will be able to sell a lot more.

Fueling was also one of the main obstacles for gasoline cars in the early days. It will come with time for electrics. It is already happening rather quickly and will really take off once those new factories start cranking out vehicles that need charging.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

"EVs on the other hand have massive govt pressure supporting them along with financial kickbacks for buying them...and they still make up less than 1% of the vehicles on the road.

They have a place as a 2nd commuter car but as a primary vehicle and certainly a tow vehicle, they have a lot of limitations."

I haven't received any kickbacks for buying a Tesla. I must be missing something.

Most are not great for trips yet but to some extent that is just due to lack of charging stations and those are increasing in locations rapidly. As for only being one percent of the vehicles on the road that is going to change rapidly in the next few years. Just about every car maker on the planet is building new factories to make them and Tesla is going as fast at they can. If GM will ever start focusing on value instead of price they will be able to sell a lot more.

Fueling was also one of the main obstacles for gasoline cars in the early days. It will come with time for electrics. It is already happening rather quickly and will really take off once those new factories start cranking out vehicles that need charging.

Isn't there a $7500 federal tax credit on the purchase of EVs'? You don't pay fuel taxes, governments will have to make up that lost revenue somehow.

Tesla itself got over 1.6 billion in regulatory zero emission credits from other carmakers. It would have posted a loss without them. They subsidized your Tesla.

Parochial charging networks like Tesla supercharger are a detriment to EV sales in general.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that the video had some good concerns but seems to presume that they won't be fixed. Horses stuck around for 20 years or more and steam engines stuck around quite a while because they could both use local fuel and cars needed a lot of maintenance. If you have never looked at one you should look up the maintenance chart for the Model T. Going electric already has the ability to eliminate a big chunk of the remaining maintenance in cars with the main issue left being charging. We already have electricity virtually everywhere, we just need to make it more available for use. Batteries have come down in price about 85% since 2010 and judging from the news articles there is no shortage of ideas for making them even better.

I also think that the guy making the video overstated his case in that he was mostly focused on the weight of the camper. Air drag is far more important. I don't think that it was just coincidence that the F150 Lightning was shown with an Airstream in tow of Tesla has shown images of a 5th wheel camper hooked to the cyber truck. They are both very aware of air drag and the things to do to reduce it. With regenerative braking the energy loss due to weight is reduced to rolling friction and that is small compared the air drag of most trailers.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are theoretical limits to electrochemical batteries, they can improve some but do not expect 100% better batteries in the future.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most personal vehicles, including half ton pickups, don't ever tow anything. Obviously an electric pickup is a poor choice for anyone planning on much towing, especially to primitive areas or typical USFS campgrounds without services. I could easily see buying my wife an electric crossover or minivan when we decide to replace her Pilot. It would probably be about ideal for running around town and the shorter distances she typically drives. Idaho, where we live, also happens to have comparatively cheap and green electricity.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't there a $7500 federal tax credit on the purchase of EVs'?
Not for Tesla.
They reached the limit 3 years ago.

You don't pay fuel taxes, governments will have to make up that lost revenue somehow.
I am paying $100/yr extra for my tag to replaced the fuel tax. And that is more than what I pay per year in fuel tax for a similar ICE vehicle.

Tesla itself got over 1.6 billion in regulatory zero emission credits from other carmakers. It would have posted a loss without them. They subsidized your Tesla.

If Tesla hadn't had carbon credits to sell to the other carmakers the government penalties would have been much more. The only entity twisting the automakers arms to either buy those credits or stop making the vehicles that you like is the government. If you don't like that take up the issue with your elected officials but don't blame Tesla.

Parochial charging networks like Tesla supercharger are a detriment to EV sales in general.

I wouldn't have even thought about buying an electric vehicle if I had to rely on the **** chargers that non-Teslas have to put up with. The only reason that we have charging networks is that Tesla blazed the path and now others are trying get in on the game but from what I hear most are making pretty lame attempts. They aren't even trying in the area I live in.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Inflated hopes for EV P/U
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.