Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tuner like “5 Star Tune “
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tuner like “5 Star Tune “

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Tuners won't do anything for engine output on a normally aspirated gas engine. That's already been maximized by the manufacturer.

All tuners do is give your subconscious a lead foot so you stomp on the pedal harder, say, "YEAH! I HAAAAAAVE THE POWERRRRRR!" to yourself, then find out three days later that nothing really changed and there's a hole in your wallet where several hundred dollars used to be.

Ive tuned 3 different gas vehicles now. Every one of them had a noticeable improvement. The manuf tunes them for a variety of people and driving styles.
The first was my Excursion. I did it for the improved shift strategy, and it helped. It also gave a bit more performance. And I did notice a .5mpg improvement when towing.
I just tuned my MH.and let me tell you this made the biggest improvement! The factory tune is lethargic at best. No throttle response, trans not knowing which gear it wanted to be in. Computer pulling throttle when I need it the most. After the tune, the Mh feels 5k lbs lighter. The trans knows what it wants when it’s needed. No more hunting for gears and losing 10mph on the slightest of grades (coming up out of river valleys). And best of all I gained .6 mpg.
So unless you have done a tune you really cannot comment on them one way or another.

BTW, we’re talking custom tuning here, not a canned tune that only changes ignition timing.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Tuners won't do anything for engine output on a normally aspirated gas engine. That's already been maximized by the manufacturer.

All tuners do is give your subconscious a lead foot so you stomp on the pedal harder, say, "YEAH! I HAAAAAAVE THE POWERRRRRR!" to yourself, then find out three days later that nothing really changed and there's a hole in your wallet where several hundred dollars used to be.

Partly true. Yes, mfgs have optimized stock emissions complaint performance pretty much and I personally wouldn't spend $5 on tuning a NA gasser. All the recent trans offerings have more than adequate programming as well.
Yes you can pull another claimed 30-40hp out of a NA gasser. But that will just become your new "normal" pretty quick and to get the "big power", lol, you're running premium gas against a little more timing from the programmer.
Keep the 6.0 stock, IMO. Not much low hanging fruit, just like any NA gasser unless you want to spend alot more money.

Trans tuning "used" to be a bigger deal. Not any more. (Save for Ram 68rfe and the old 66rfe behind the hemi a couple years ago.)

I bought a tuner for a 01 Ram 1500 that we had back in the day. Typical "30-40hp" gain. Notice how they're all the same for pretty much all applications?...
I attempted a few empirical tests and I saw a little quicker acceleration. It did help the trans and throttle response a bit. But it was basically imperceptible after driving it for a while. Actually sold it and didn't notice the difference.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 6.0 only has the 4 spd trans, but I've found it will hold speed better at 68-70, than in the low 60s. It seems those few extra rpms bump it up where it is not as likely to downshift on those little rises.
Also if the terrain is kinda rolling and it is downshifting, I drop it to 3rd gear and it spins about 3000rpm, and does well. Actually I don't notice a difference in MPGs towing in 3rd vs 4th, it sucks it all down either way [emoticon]

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2017 6.0 3500HD, so basically your truck. I tried Diablew, he deals with the Diablo tuner. He can do a custom tune for you. You do some data logging and he adjust the truck based off it's specific parameters. It really woke my truck up, firmed up the shifts, removed some torque management and yes a tune like this or a dyno tune will add HP and torque. I am a fan of the Dyno tune 11 sec WS6 and a 12 second 14 Caprice they are dyno tuned, but the Diablew tune worked similar to a dyno tune and I am really happy with it.

The 6.0/6L90E tune from the factory is poo, it is really mild. I tend to believe his claims of 20 to 40 RWHP depending on the tune you get. It certainly holds the gears differently and makes use of all the power.

DiabLew

* This post was edited 06/02/21 12:29pm by ls1mike *

Mike
2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 Crew Cab Long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ls1mike wrote:

I have a 2017 6.0 3500HD, so basically your truck. I tried Diablew, he deals with the Diablo tuner. He can do a custom tune for you. You do some data logging and he adjust the truck based off it's specific parameters. It really woke my truck up, firmed up the shifts, removed some torque management and yes a tune like this or a dyno tune will add HP and torque. I am a fan of the Dyno tune 11 sec WS6 and a 12 second 14 Caprice they are dyno tuned, but the Diablew tune worked similar to a dyno tune and I am really happy with it.

The 6.0/6L90E tune from the factory is poo, it is really mild. I tend to believe his claims of 20 to 40 RWHP depending on the tune you get. It certainly holds the gears differently and makes use of all the power.

DiabLew

Yes a lot of people have no idea what is left on the table during factory programming to make the bean counters happy. Like I said earlier, it’s not about the HP and TQ it about the TQ mgt/reduced throttle lag and much improved shift strategy.
My old V-10 Excursion had he 4R100 and it sucked when towing even with the 4.30 gears. Once I tuned it from 5 star it woke it up to the point it no longer acted like it didn’t know how to shift. It knew which gear it wanted and when. It was one of the best things I did to the X.

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

My 6.0 only has the 4 spd trans, but I've found it will hold speed better at 68-70, than in the low 60s. It seems those few extra rpms bump it up where it is not as likely to downshift on those little rises.
Also if the terrain is kinda rolling and it is downshifting, I drop it to 3rd gear and it spins about 3000rpm, and does well. Actually I don't notice a difference in MPGs towing in 3rd vs 4th, it sucks it all down either way [emoticon]

I had this happen with our last motorhome. If I drove 62 or 63 mph it would shift on any little rise in the road. If I drove 65 / 66 mph it would shift a lot less. I have tried that with this truck but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

* This post was edited 06/04/21 06:44am by Rwake901 *

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ls1mike wrote:

DiabLew

This sounds like what I’m looking for but I also need to consider that the drive train is under warranty for 3 more years and I don’t want to do anything to void that. Can this tune be added and removed easily so as not to void the warranty?

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

Not true for regular vehicles.

Performance can be measured and the tunes increase HP and torque.

You get marginal increases at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.

How often do you drive at WOT? Unless you're drag racing, almost never.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Devo the dog wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

Not true for regular vehicles.

Performance can be measured and the tunes increase HP and torque.

You get marginal increases at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.

How often do you drive at WOT? Unless you're drag racing, almost never.

LOL. Some people just want to believe what they want to believe. No big deal. I've known others that don't understand 1+1=2.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had various tuners in the past and to really feel anything you had to run the high octane tune....due to timing advance.
All other options like tow and economy only changed shift points.

If you choose to tow with the performance tune " I did ", keep an eye on temps.

On the Ford site, many members speak highly of 4-star.

My 2021 7.3 does an admirable job towing and is under warranty so leaving it stock.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tuner like “5 Star Tune “
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.