Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Generators!! Yes YOU!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/13/21 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Jshupe Wrote:

Regarding my fit, I don't want to hear any generators running, period. I understand occasional use but if you're out there using it daily, I'm going to be annoyed that you haven't bothered to invest in an appropriate solar setup for your usage. It's a different matter altogether if it's been raining and overcast for a few days, your panels are covered in snow, or it's simply too hot to survive without running air conditioning (which can be done on solar).

I agree solar has changed the game. Those who feel they need to run gensets all day long need to invest in solar.
Solar can now power your A/C and produce quiet power all day long.


Hmmm - please explain how roof solar is going to power my 13.5K Btu air conditioner on our 24 ft. Class C motorhome ... with big ole' RVs, yes, roof square footage can be enough ... but on small go-anywhere RVs there is not enough roof area.

Here's how to solar-power RV air conditioners if you don't have a big enough RV roof, or you don't want a bunch of additional screw holes in your RV's roof even if it does have enough square footage. [emoticon] :
[image]


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

n0arp

FT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/20/2016

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/13/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Jshupe Wrote:

Regarding my fit, I don't want to hear any generators running, period. I understand occasional use but if you're out there using it daily, I'm going to be annoyed that you haven't bothered to invest in an appropriate solar setup for your usage. It's a different matter altogether if it's been raining and overcast for a few days, your panels are covered in snow, or it's simply too hot to survive without running air conditioning (which can be done on solar).

I agree solar has changed the game. Those who feel they need to run gensets all day long need to invest in solar.
Solar can now power your A/C and produce quiet power all day long.


Hmmm - please explain how roof solar is going to power my 13.5K Btu air conditioner on our 24 ft. Class C motorhome ... with big ole' RVs, yes, roof square footage can be enough ... but on small go-anywhere RVs there is not enough roof area.

Here's how to solar-power RV air conditioners if you don't have a big enough RV roof, or you don't want a bunch of additional screw holes in your RV's roof even if it does have enough square footage. [emoticon] :
[image]


I have a truck camper with a 19' roof and managed to fit 1800W of solar on it with plenty of room to spare. With a little less walking space on either side, I could have managed to put 2200W+ up there. Putting holes in the roof of an RV isn't an issue if they're done correctly. I learned back when I worked on boats that if you could drill a hole below the waterline and keep it from leaking (which is very often done), then on the roof of an RV is a cakewalk.

I'm not saying all the weekend warriors need to go get solar - I'm saying people need to be more considerate, and if they are going to be using their generator, don't park next to others. And if you are full-time, solar is easy (or much easier) to justify, and absolutely should be invested in if you are going to boondock much.

[image]


2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jshupe wrote:
I'm not saying all the weekend warriors need to go get solar - I'm saying people need to be more considerate, and if they are going to be using their generator, don't park next to others. And if you are full-time, solar is easy (or much easier) to justify, and absolutely should be invested in if you are going to boondock much.

I agree with this if you are an avid boondocker and camping off the grid is your style, than you need to invest in a decent solar setup vs. believing its OK to run your genset all day around others.
Once upon a time all day genset use may have been tolerable. But now that A/C capable solar is available the game has changed.
Technology advancements have raised the bar for maintaining a quiet camping atmosphere for everyone.


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


GDS-3950BH

DC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best were the cheap geezers with expensive MHs with onboard generators at the state park campgrounds who reserved a non electric site to save $5, then ran thosse things 24/7, while surrounded mostly by tent campers. Inconsiderate indeed.

n0arp

FT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/20/2016

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/13/21 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

The best were the cheap geezers with expensive MHs with onboard generators at the state park campgrounds who reserved a non electric site to save $5, then ran thosse things 24/7, while surrounded mostly by tent campers. Inconsiderate indeed.


Burning half a gallon per hour, so more than they saved, as well.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/13/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:


Ramble, your portable solar setup is real close to what I would/will add to our 2005 24ft. E450 Class C!

I'll probably never use a portable with it's controller at the panel. I'd use an MPPT controller at the batteries permanently so that voltage loss between the panel and the coach batteries will be minimum at all times.

The V10 idles so quietly, charges coach batteries so fast via the alternator, and only consumes about 0.7 gal of fuel per hour when idling ... that I've been doing that a lot lately and wondering if I even want to add any solar. Our camping style is usually only short stays at any one place, so the batteries get topped up when driving between locations.


pnichols - We are totally satisfied with our setup for our low power daily needs. We were at a cold high Cascade lake in the trees with the panels 160’ away on the lakeshore in the early morning sun producing 9.2A with controller at the battery. This was enough to run our furnace and still charge the battery. With a 40’ cable it produces 11.2A. You will still have the 2 volt drop with the controller at the battery except the drop is off the higher panel voltage.

MPPT would be great however we don’t need the additional 20% power. The Victron 15A looks good with separate battery and load outputs. Great for using the unused panel output once the batteries are getting charged up. The spec on the controller not starting until panel voltage is battery voltage + 5 volts may be an issue with this panel setup. The 2 panels in the solar suitcase are wired in parallel not serial.

V10 backup is great for gen. The control board on the auto transfer switch failed one time while we were at Mt. Rainier so gen output would not switch in so used the V10 to charge. Did not bring the solar that time as we assumed the tree canopy would too shading. Turns out that there was sun available but would need more line.


2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

lostbytes

Was lostmarbles years back on here....

New Member

Joined: 11/30/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/13/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was campground host back in 2014 up above Truckee, CA. We were instructed to let generator run past posted hours if violator say they're on CPAP. This rule was dictated by ADA. No exceptions. So, everyone heading to doc to get script for CPAP so they can run their genny.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

Senior Member

Joined: 11/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/21 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lostbytes wrote:

When I was campground host back in 2014 up above Truckee, CA. We were instructed to let generator run past posted hours if violator say they're on CPAP. This rule was dictated by ADA. No exceptions. So, everyone heading to doc to get script for CPAP so they can run their genny.


Kinda like the folks who get a red-white jacket or sweater or sox, put it on the pet and call it a 'service dog', or 'service parrot' or 'service hamster' and take it everywhere. Never saw so many folks needing comfort and service.

Before you jump on me, I agree, some folks need guide dogs and other support, but I'd bet a dollar on every legitimate 'service animal' I see vs a dollar for every one that is a simple pet, I'd never have to work.


Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

lostbytes

Was lostmarbles years back on here....

New Member

Joined: 11/30/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/13/21 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lol. Yup!

GDS-3950BH

DC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/14/21 03:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lostbytes wrote:

When I was campground host back in 2014 up above Truckee, CA. We were instructed to let generator run past posted hours if violator say they're on CPAP. This rule was dictated by ADA. No exceptions. So, everyone heading to doc to get script for CPAP so they can run their genny.



Like an old neighbor 15 yrs or so ago. Was on disability and had a blue HC tag hanging from his rear view mirror. Did not stop him from splitting wood all summer long or carrying bundles of shingles up a 40' ladder when he re roofed his house lol.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.