Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: When to change oil
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When to change oil

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I change when it starts to remind me at every start. Usually 4-5%.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do both fuel filters and the oil and oil filter each spring. Both tend to show 25-35% left at that point, give or take. I run full synthetic and use the stratapore (?) Fleetguard filter. No issues yet.

I did finally buy one of those aluminum filter plugs and that's a gamechanger for the 4th gen and up Cummins trucks. It's still a stupid place to put an oil filter but the plug sure helps a lot - no mess and it makes it easy to pull out a filter full of hot oil.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2015 Duramax - the dealer told me to not worry about what the DIC says, but to bring it in at 5000 miles, oil change and tire rotation. I have been doing my own DEF as the one time I let them do it, they spilled it all over.

By the way, the dealer that I bought it from has free oil changes for life, so doesn't cost but for the tire rotation. Probably doing it more than I need to, but still only about once every 9-12 months or so. I do also check my oil every couple times I get gas. Learned that the hard way with an Acura that had an oil issue. By the time the DIC says get an oil change, the light usually comes on, no oil on the dipstick. They told me to stop following the DIC and come in every 3500 miles. They replaced the top end of the engine under warranty, but I still check the oil every fuel fill up.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I usually reset the meter when it displays change oil soon … then the next time it comes up I change it if I still own the truck.

Honestly why change oil at all on your rigs. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

I do both fuel filters and the oil and oil filter each spring. Both tend to show 25-35% left at that point, give or take. I run full synthetic and use the stratapore (?) Fleetguard filter. No issues yet.

I did finally buy one of those aluminum filter plugs and that's a gamechanger for the 4th gen and up Cummins trucks. It's still a stupid place to put an oil filter but the plug sure helps a lot - no mess and it makes it easy to pull out a filter full of hot oil.

I have switched from the Stratapore to Donaldson-AMZ/OIL oil filter as they filter even better and are US Made.

Simply remove intake tube and RnR filter from the top it's very easy and no spilled oil.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

I have a 2015 Duramax - the dealer told me to not worry about what the DIC says, but to bring it in at 5000 miles, oil change and tire rotation. I have been doing my own DEF as the one time I let them do it, they spilled it all over.

By the way, the dealer that I bought it from has free oil changes for life, so doesn't cost but for the tire rotation. Probably doing it more than I need to, but still only about once every 9-12 months or so. I do also check my oil every couple times I get gas. Learned that the hard way with an Acura that had an oil issue. By the time the DIC says get an oil change, the light usually comes on, no oil on the dipstick. They told me to stop following the DIC and come in every 3500 miles. They replaced the top end of the engine under warranty, but I still check the oil every fuel fill up.

I can only giggle and wonder after reading this post!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I usually reset the meter when it displays change oil soon … then the next time it comes up I change it if I still own the truck.

Honestly why change oil at all on your rigs. [emoticon]

Like button. 4x’s philosophies are umm interesting, to be polite.

But more so, they’re subtle, maybe passive aggressive attempts of conveying his financial security to the point that changing a truck is just less of a nuisance than maintaining it, when the cost of trucks is like beer money to the “commoners.”

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to you all for your responses. Everyone seems to do it a little different but pretty much all in the same mindset.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

My F350 is used so little that the last time I changed it at 5000mi it had been over 2 years. Worries the dealer to death. It sits out there in the garage but I start it and let it run awhile every now and then.

Define, "let it run awhile". If that's sitting in the garage idling for 10min, probably more harm than good.

If you do that, get it out on the road and up to speed for 15-20min, so everything heats up fully.

I usually do an oil change every 6000miles or when she gets put to bed for the winter (if we are headed overseas for the winter).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

My F350 is used so little that the last time I changed it at 5000mi it had been over 2 years. Worries the dealer to death. It sits out there in the garage but I start it and let it run awhile every now and then.

I once bought a new truck that had been on the dealer's lot over 6 months. I suggested that they should change the oil since the oil change interval was 6 months. They made it clear that time on the dealer's lot doesn't apply to oil changer intervals.

I wouldn't crank the one in the garage unless I planned to get it well warmed up. You really want to cook out any condensation before putting it back in storage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When to change oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.