Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The importance of a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> The importance of a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Author's note: In response to justified criticism that my original headline was 'over-the-top,' I have modified it to more accurately reflect my experience. Thanks to all for their opinions.
I recently bought a used 30' Class C with 111k miles on the clock. Prior to sale I had performed the perfunctory safety checks, especially on the tires, ensuring they were within 3-5 years from manufacturing date, had good tread, no sidewall cracks and were aired-up appropriately. However, the coach lacked a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)--and I thought NOTHING of it. "No big deal," I told myself. I'll religiously check the pressure prior to every trip and that's good enough. That is, until the fateful day recently when I discovered, while parked at a rest stop, that my outer right rear dually looked mighty low. It was a Sunday and I was in Penrose, CO. Fortunately, I found the owner of a tire shop working on his day off and he kindly agreed to put some air in my tire. "Whoa," he said. "Your outer tire is low because it's bearing all the weight that should be shared with the inner dually. And THAT tire is flatter than a pancake. Unrepairable."
Whaaa...? Folks, only minutes earlier, I had driven down a treacherous mountain road out of Westcliffe, CO. One with lots of curves, aggressive drivers and a need for reasonable speed. How and where that tire failed I have no idea. And my ignorance of the situation needlessly imperiled me and everyone else on the road. One failed tire could easily have led to two, loss of control and--well, your imagination of a disaster is as good as mine. As I listened to the tire man I began to shudder with the thought of the catastrophe I had miraculously been spared. And how a TPMS is no longer a luxury in my mind. It is an absolute necessity. I'm no longer a indolent wise guy. I got a clue. And I hope you do, too.

* This post was edited 06/21/21 11:27am by Hoerschel *

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good reminder.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good, somber reminder from the voice of experience.
Glad you averted disaster, and thank you for saying something that all of us should know.
I know the importance of TPMS. I totaled one of my TT's years ago over a blown tire.
But do I own one? No I don't. Time to smarten up.
Thanks for this.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Currently under construction, big project! Will change this when done.
Aug 2/21 - Website nearing completion. Most pages done.

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put external TPMS on my new to me TT (2014).
On my last 2 trips I had a flat tire on each trip. The TPMS worked and warned me and I safely pulled over and changed the tires with the spare, which I had repaired after the first flat.
Now for the warning to all! Do not put external TPMS sensors on older rubber valve stems! Both flats were from failed valve stems.
I have replaced all my rubber valve stems with metal ones.

* This post was edited 06/16/21 06:57am by WNYBob *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The lesson is check your tires before each trip! You broke your own rule!
TPMS are beneficial, but the old fashion way works as well!

"I told myself. I'll religiously check the pressure prior to every trip and that's good enough"
Did you actually check prior to leaving? A simple kick would suffice.
I had one of my dually tires go flat. I could feel the squirm from the drivers seat. I made it to my destination OK.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

TPMS are beneficial, but the old fashion way works as well!

The TPMS will warn you if your tire starts going flat while you're driving. The old fashioned way does not.

Any time someone asks if they should invest in a TPMS or something else for their RV, I always recommend the TPMS.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checking your pressures before you leave and at every rest stop is only good until you pull back on the road. You can easily get a nail or screw pulling out on the road or any time afterward and have a low tire 2 miles down the road from that.

Everyone should have a TPMS for peace of mind. And always being aware of your tires.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many have TPMS on their daily vehicle??????

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

How many have TPMS on their daily vehicle??????

Everyone that drives a car or light truck (< 10,000 lbs) in the USA built after 2007 has one since that's when they became mandatory.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a loader flatbed trailer with our "C". One day I got the trailer out and checked the tires with a tire pressure gage, they were fine, I loaded the trailer and also the mh. About 4 hours we were all loaded up and left home. About 20 minutes later we stopped so my wife could get a few things she needed. While she was shopping I did a quick check of the trailer and load. I found that the trailer had a very soft tire. Checking the tires with a pressure gage had caused the valve to start leaking.
Now I carry a radiant temperature sensor to check tires whenever we stop for a short break.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> The importance of a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.